Bones 4.03 The Man in the Outhouse

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Bones 4.03 The Man in the Outhouse

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thought I'd set up a post for tonight's new episode, "The Man in the Outhouse."

Did y'all watch it? :D What did you think?

For my part -- and I swear I'm not sucking up here -- I thought TJ was one of the best parts of the entire episode. Totally serious.

I'll be back tomorrow with more thorough comments. Until then, sweet dreams, everyone!

xoxo
Sherry
Last edited by Sinkwriter72 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 69
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 4.02 The Man in the Outhouse

Post by skftex »

I loved that we seemed to get more TJ than in some of the S3 episodes. But I have to say, I hate that they just totally ignored the whole Jack/Angela story in this one. And it seems like they are substituting their relationship by giving Sweets a new one. BLEH.

That's my quick thoughts for now. I really will try to get on here to give more maybe this weekend. Can't wait to read everyone else's thoughts though!

Sharon
word count: 84
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Sharon!

According to Tracielyn over in LiveJournal's 206_Bones community, they shot these episodes out of order and are therefore airing them out of order. Therefore, it's quite possible that the Jack/Angela breakup hadn't happened yet in the writers' room when they created this episode.

Unfortunately, I think it's terrible continuity to air things out of order like this. I don't understand why they approached the season this way, I really don't. The lack of follow-through with the characters and their personalities and emotions is degrading with each new episode.

Is this what they think we want? Silliness and innuendo and forced relationships over everything else? Where's the wonderful balance they used to have? I'm baffled, I truly am. It's like Hart and the writers have fallen down and hit their heads, never to be the same people again.

I've got more thoughts -- positive (Hodgins and the lovely TJ), and negative (what the hell has happened to the Booth and Brennan relationship?) -- so I'll be back again later.
word count: 182

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

It makes sense that this was aired out of order, otherwise as it ignores the breakup, it's truly a slap in the face to the Jack and Angela fans--but wait a minute, last week WAS a slap in the face to the Jack and Angela fans...

What's with Brennan and her multiple boyfriends? Just so Booth can act appalled and morally superior? Sheesh, give me a break!

But yes, T.J. was the best part of the episode. His acting is just as superior as always!
word count: 89
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

...aaaaand here's the part where I flop around like a giant flounder on the grassy banks of the River Waddafock.

Let's get the obvious out of the way: TJ is simply delicious. And to be fair, so are Michaela and Tamara. JFD....well... he did make me laugh at the 'do they walk into a bar?' question.

But really, HH's Kool Aid is not working on me. I'm with Sherry -- where the hell did Brennan go? Reconsidering monogamy? Excuse me? What's next -- we see her studying tarot cards at Angela's? (If they're naked, maybe... wait. Did I say that out loud? Sorry.)

I'm so not relishing the Murphy Brown 'secretary of the week' trick. And I just want to taser Booth right in the place no man would ever wish to be tasered.

Wow, I'm thinking I can pitch my story idea to HH, after all, he'll do anything to get a rise: Booth and Hodgins get married on the White House lawn, with Dick Cheney holding Seeley's train. Brennan appears with an AK-47 and is about to shred Booth into a million bloody bits when Jack steps in the line of fire and confesses he was stupid in love with Brennan but was just too chicken shit to confess it. Hilarity ensues.

What?
word count: 226
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

late_heart wrote:...aaaaand here's the part where I flop around like a giant flounder on the grassy banks of the River Waddafock.
:lol: Hilarious, AF. Simply hilarious.
late_heart wrote:But really, HH's Kool Aid is not working on me. I'm with Sherry -- where the hell did Brennan go? Reconsidering monogamy? Excuse me?
heeheeee Have you been reading my post over on that new LJ community? I assume so, given your comment here. *GRIN* I know it was strong, but I will not take back what I said. I put a lot of thought into that thing!

Seriously, I have so much to say here, too, but I need to rein myself in a bit and find the mental energy to write up a more balanced review, out of respect for TJ and his site.

Regardless, I still contend that he and Tamara were the best parts of this week's episode, as you have so astutely noted. Especially TJ. More on that asap!
word count: 167

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

That wasn't just a post, girlfriend, that was a manifesto! And I'm one of the lot who supports using that as the comm's position statement. You rock like a rocking thing.

And the only reason anyone gets torqued up enough to write such an eloquent, spot-on critique is love -- you have to love it enough to be let down, and let down enough to stand up and say so.

I am seriously in the loving with it all. Oh, yes.

As for TJ taking us in the mud wrestling pit? Hey, baby, I'm all for that! ;)
word count: 101
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

late_heart wrote:That wasn't just a post, girlfriend, that was a manifesto! And I'm one of the lot who supports using that as the comm's position statement. You rock like a rocking thing.
I think everyone calling it a 'manifesto' is what's freaking me out. It makes me feel like I should be holed up in some dingy cabin in the woods, completely insane and obsessed, plotting my takeover of the writers' room. :shock:

;)

Heeee.

But thank you very much for liking what I had to say. *hugs you* If you liked the way it was worded, I feel especially good about it.

late_heart wrote:And the only reason anyone gets torqued up enough to write such an eloquent, spot-on critique is love -- you have to love it enough to be let down, and let down enough to stand up and say so.
Thank you! I believe that, too. As I said to someone over on that comm, I worked really hard on writing that thing. I put a lot of thought, energy, and yes, love, into it. Not because I'm trying to complain or be a big bitch, but because I genuinely love these characters, and the talented actors who portray 'em, and I really want the show to be the very best it can be, for their benefit as well as ours as viewers.

Still, out of respect for TJ's feelings, I would like to approach writing a more specific review of the episode for posting here, so that I can include some of the things I did enjoy. What I posted over on that other community was all about what I think is going on with the show as a whole (though of course there was so much I couldn't get to because then it would have deviated from my main point and would have really become an insane manifesto of considerable length, LOL). :D

late_heart wrote:As for TJ taking us in the mud wrestling pit? Hey, baby, I'm all for that! ;)
*laughing like mad* :mrgreen:

P.S. Late_heart, check your email. I just sent you some new feedback. Are you excited?? ;)
word count: 366

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thanks Sherry, I had forgotten they were showing some of them out of order. Though I can't say they really seemed like they were still together in that episode either. I guess that is one of the reasons why they COULD air it out of order.

I honestly thought this episode was really dull. The assistant of the week was annoying (though I'm sure that was on purpose), the murder storyline wasn't very good, Brennan with her two men was just stupid. And Sweets...well, I'll just let that one go.

Sharon

word count: 96
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sharon! My star! Someone else has come out and said exactly what I thought when I viewed it on the Net - that it was boring! I really did feel that, but hadn't come to terms with this astonishing fact sufficiently to post about it. Oh, wasn't it tedious, plot was again confusing and character interaction was practically nil (that's what worries me). Poop jokes, adultery jokes, what is this, Jerry Springer meets Benny Hill? You're right, it wasn't even notable enough for the out-of-order issue to matter. And I am not writing a full review yet because on one viewing it wasn't memorable enough to quote specific scenes and dialogue.... omg but this is Bones, is there something the matter with me?

Of course the only-just-recovering-from-the-laryngitis and massive PMS can't have helped, but I mean..

Must hop off to LJ and see what Sherry said, not been there for a while. :)
word count: 165
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Over the past few months, I have posted some new entries to my own journal, which you may not have read, Steph, and I'd love to hear your brilliant words of wisdom, if you have any comments on them.

But as for the Bones-related post, I don't know if you'll be able to see it. It's not on my personal LJ -- it's a post I wrote to a specific community and they had me friends-lock it for privacy (so only the community members can view it). Unless you've joined LiveJournal and I didn't know it?? :D

Would you like me to send it to you here via PM? Or via a private email addy? Let me know and I'll email it to you.

I think you might enjoy reading it. Then again, it's just me, stirring up trouble. ;)

So, can you talk now, or is your voice still gone? You poor woman...

xo
Sherry
Last edited by Sinkwriter72 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 164

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

My thoughts, my thoughts, my thoughts... hmmmmm...

It's interesting, really, in a bizarre way, the manner in which this show has veered from its original format to this overly comedic approach. This show was never supposed to be a comedy, not in my eyes. This was the show that you shouldn't watch if you've just eaten dinner, for crying out loud. It was drama. Interesting cases with marvelous character focus ... and some naturally funny bits.

But now I think I see one of the problems. What is this show doing paired with two half-hour sitcoms? This show isn't a sitcom. Whose idea was this? Who do I see about this? Whose butts do I kick? ;) Because I think it's misguided. And if they're pressuring Hart and the other Bones writers into changing the style of their show so that they can promote it as a funny program with wacky characters that fits with sitcoms... I think it's a huge mistake. This show is not meant to be a sitcom. And this show was not broken. It was excellent with the balance it had.

That said... let's first talk about some of the things I liked in this episode.

Those parts start and end with TJ, I'm delighted to say. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I swear I'm not sucking up... to me, he really was one of the best parts of the entire episode.

Hodgins giving the new recruit a hard time by making her sort through sewage? *giggles* Mean, yet very funny.

Cam's almost-eyeroll at everything Daisy said to her, and every time Cam and Hodgins exchanged a look. Hilarious.

In fact, I liked that Hodgins and Cam seemed to be having trouble adjusting to this new assistant. If the writers aren't going to formally address the emotional fallout from the Zack situation in the S3 finale -- that is, yet, and they better do it soon because right now they're ignoring it and that's ridiculous and inconsistent, but more on that later -- then at least they're playing with it in a small way and the actors have been able to convey their distrust or disinterest in anyone (so far) who's tried to fill the position. I liked that they were giving the girl a hard time. It's not surprising, especially coming from Hodgins. It seems like something he'd do -- mess with the new recruit -- because she annoyed him and because she's trying to take the place of someone he cared about (and whom he's probably devastated not to see every day in the lab). It's going to take someone very special to gain their trust and respect, or no one will ever fit that for them. It's definitely not going to happen quickly.

I also like the consistency of Hodgins' enthusiasm, when presenting evidence found:

"Drumroll... [Cam gives him a look] ... optional."

Heeee. Nice comedic timing, TJ.

I appreciate how excited he gets about his work. I'm glad to see that hasn't changed. It's been a while since they've shown that aspect of his personality, so it was nice to see it re-emerge.

Hodgins wiggling his tongue. Fabulous.

What? What's wrong with liking that? (Heh.) ;)

Pretty much every look that Hodgins gave Daisy throughout the episode. Didn't even need words. His expression said it all. Cracked me up laughing.

In between all the marvelous TJ goodness:

I liked the camaraderie of the women working together in that one scene. It was fun to see Cam, Brennan and Angela like that. Cool to see some actual girl time, you know? Just the gals. Fun.

And ... surprise, surprise... I actually enjoyed a part involving Sweets. I know. Amazing, right? :D Late_heart reminded me of this moment in one of her posts. It was Sweets' response to Booth's comment -- what was it, something about a botanist and whatever it was Brennan's other date did -- when Sweets said, confused, "So, they walk into a bar?"

Heee.

I don't usually love Sweets because I think his role has become superfluous, but that was one funny line. A naturally funny response to what Booth was saying, because he had no idea where the conversation was going or if it was the opening line to a joke. I laughed out loud.

Okay, I'm afraid that was the extent of my enjoyment of the episode. The rest was frustrating, in my opinion.

First, I was surprised not to see more awkwardness between Hodgins and Angela. Do the writers remember that these two characters broke up last week? Sheesh. Follow-through, people, follow-through!

At the time of viewing the episode, I didn't know that they were airing the episodes out of order, so I just thought it was lazy follow-through. Honestly, that baffles me. Why would anyone think that was a smart thing to do (writing or airing out of order)?

Tara, you know something about the behind-the-scenes stuff like that -- do you know what the purpose of such an approach would be?

It still baffles me. What, just because it works well enough because we don't see Hodgins and Angela kissing (which would be in contradiction to the previous week's breakup), it's okay to present the episodes in a half-assed manner like this, with no emotional continuation from week to week? I don't understand that. They used to be so good at that.

Some posters over on 206 noticed Angela was wearing her engagement ring in this week's episode, and they were confused and annoyed by that lack of consistency. Me, I'm annoyed we didn't get any sort of character development follow-through. Where's a Brennan and Angela heart-to-heart, now that Brennan's back from London? Even a conversation between Booth and Hodgins wouldn't have been out of order, given the friendship they've been forging throughout the series.

Sweets. Poor guy, I'm always picking on him, but truly... he does not belong in the lab while they're examining the evidence. I will concede that I appreciated the humor in Hodgins' snarky "bless you" and smirk when Sweets sneezed inside his protective helmet. Otherwise, they're making up reasons for him to be there, and it's pointless. It's like they're using him to push the Booth and Brennan relationship, which doesn't need any pushing! Their partnership was developing nicely and naturally throughout seasons 1 & 2. They don't need to be seeing Sweets as a couple anymore. Why are they still doing that, especially when they don't stay very long, never take Sweets seriously, don't actually do anything in their 'sessions' (except gather over-obvious dialogue from Sweets), and don't seem to be doing anything that would require FBI-ordered therapy. We definitely don't need someone pointing out to us, week after week, that they're supposed to be together. We don't need someone telling us, week after week, what we're supposed to see about the two main characters of the program. We should be able to see that happening through the characters' experiences. This is lazy writing, using Sweets in this manner.

I've said this before: if you want to keep the talented and charming actor who plays Sweets, for crying out loud, give him something real to do as a professional criminal profiler. He's an FBI shrink. Surely, there are ways to include him and develop him as a character, where his work coincides with Booth and the Squints at the lab? Perhaps if he's working on a criminal profile of a violent killer who's on the loose, and the case comes under Booth's jurisdiction? Whatever. Give him an actual professional purpose for being there. Give me a reason to care about him. To have him standing around a dead body, watching the Squints do their work, and saying over-obvious things like "There's a clue in that" or "The killer didn't get enough therapy"... so unnecessary. Frankly, I'm surprised one of the Squints didn't interject with a quick and annoyed "Uh, yeah, thanks, we got that covered. Why don't you go do what you're good at and leave the sewage-sorting and evidence-gathering to the experts?"

By the way, if Sweets and Daisy become permanent fixtures on this show, and start dating... good gawd, I may throw up. She spent the hour ass-kissing and being extremely annoying. I don't need to see that every week. Please, please don't do that, Hart.

Okay... here we go... Booth and Brennan.

*heavy sigh*

I went into this in much greater detail on LiveJournal within a community there, in an overall sense, and I can't possibly post that extraordinarily lengthy commentary here (especially out of respect for TJ's feelings), but I will be bold and say this:

Some of the Booth and Brennan scenes were almost like the old days, but I felt they were a bit forced. Not as natural and amusingly combative as they used to be. I'm frustrated by this turn in Booth's behavior to tactlessness and insensitivity, almost all the time. His excessive enjoyment in interrupting Brennan's dates and in watching Brennan getting busted by her two boyfriends seemed rude, disrespectful, and I might add, annoying. And what was up with the veiled homophobia? Both Booth and Sweets making fun of Brennan's date like that was insulting. "Of course" he's a botanist, hehhehheh. :roll: I did like that he finally stopped grinning when he realized she'd been dumped by both men. Good move. He should have stopped smirking long before that. He used to be respectful, strong, and smart. (Sure, he was never genius level, that was part of the point of the show, but he was 'gut' smart.) What's happened to him?

Part of me -- again, there I go, blaming Sweets -- wonders if part of the problem lies with the writers giving away one of Booth's special traits to Sweets. This show used to show an unusual relationship: Booth as the goes-with-his-gut-instincts kind of guy versus Brennan and the 'pure science' Squints misfits, and how they learned to communicate and work with each other as this wonderful team, and become this marvelously odd little family, with Booth and Brennan as 'the center.' Booth was all about the observing of the criminals; he had a gift for reading them. If Sweets is now the criminal profiler and behavioral 'expert,' and Brennan and the Squints are all about the science and evidence, what does that leave for Booth except for them to write him as the clown or the buffoon of the program? (As they seem to be doing a lot these days, foregoing all his other established traits for this insensitive, overly dramatic, preachy guy.)

That does not sit well with me. Not when I know what he used to be. Not when I know all the rich character traits he used to have.

On a side note, if they're going to bring it up once in a while as they are, I'd like to see Booth's Catholicism as an interesting avenue for character development, rather than simply him sermonizing at Brennan from the driver's seat.

Finally, I do think that the subtlety of the Booth and Brennan partnership has gone out the window. They used to blend the burgeoning connection between these two characters beautifully with the cases and the other characters, developing all of it in a wonderful synchronicity. Now it seems the sole goal of the show is to point out that these two characters are supposed to be together. The cases don't have an impact, not like they used to. Do we care about the victims? Do Booth and Brennan care about the victims? I don't feel it anymore. Booth and Brennan aren't developing as characters anymore. They're behaving like caricatures. The Squints don't get development either, not like they used to. It's all about furthering the Booth/Brennan relationship goal. That seems single-minded and, frankly, boring.

I hate saying it, but that final scene did not accomplish its goals for me. If the episode had spent more time with a better balance of the two partners on the case and out in the field, and less time on almost every scene (even as they're working on the case) having to do with Booth and Brennan's 'partnership' --and Booth being incredibly nosy, sanctimonious and judgmental about Brennan's love life and sex life -- maybe Booth's speech at the end would have affected me in a positive way, him telling her that there's a special someone out there for her.

In the past, a speech like that from Booth would have been lovely and sweet. But this time around I felt it was incredibly forced and a bit condescending. Brennan is a grown woman, a single woman I might add, and she's allowed to date more than one person if she wants to. (And I still contend that she would have been upfront with both those guys from the start, because that's the kind of bizarrely forthright person she is.) That line about her finding 'someone you're meant to spend the rest of your life with' was so obvious, they might as well have put a big flashing red light on the two characters with a sign that read "Couple RIGHT HERE!" And with Sweets sitting there, gawking and grinning at the two of them, as if to say to the audience, "Awww, see? They're supposed to be together!" it was completely over-obvious. We know. We don't need it shoved down our throats every week like this. We're smarter than that, as viewers. (We really are, Hart. Give us some credit.)

In fact, Booth and Brennan ending an episode back in the shrink's office, once again telling the audience line by line what we're supposed to be seeing in their relationship, I just don't think it works. It's not subtle. It's not charming. It's not smart writing. Stop trying to force their relationship down our throats! We get that they're supposed to have a tight connection. But we used to be able to see that throughout the activities of the episodes and the experiences of all the characters. Having the two main characters sit around in an office every week (or having Sweets coming to the lab every week) is not good writing. It's driving me mad.

I really do hope that the writers switch gears and get back on track with the development of these characters and the emotional follow-through of what they've experienced. It's so much better that way. Right now? Not at the level it could be. Not at the level we've seen and loved.

And... I swear I'm done talking now. :mrgreen:

Your thoughts, people?
word count: 2559

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Wow Sherry, thats a lot to think about. I'm going to address this part now and hopefully have time to address some of your other points another time:
Sinkwriter72 wrote:
Sweets. Poor guy, I'm always picking on him, but truly... he does not belong in the lab while they're examining the evidence. I will concede that I appreciated the humor in Hodgins' snarky "bless you" and smirk when Sweets sneezed inside his protective helmet. Otherwise, they're making up reasons for him to be there, and it's pointless. It's like they're using him to push the Booth and Brennan relationship, which doesn't need any pushing! Their partnership was developing nicely and naturally throughout seasons 1 & 2. They don't need to be seeing Sweets as a couple anymore. Why are they still doing that, especially when they don't stay very long, never take Sweets seriously, don't actually do anything in their 'sessions' (except gather over-obvious dialogue from Sweets), and don't seem to be doing anything that would require FBI-ordered therapy. We definitely don't need someone pointing out to us, week after week, that they're supposed to be together. We don't need someone telling us, week after week, what we're supposed to see about the two main characters of the program. We should be able to see that happening through the characters' experiences. This is lazy writing, using Sweets in this manner.

I've said this before: if you want to keep the talented and charming actor who plays Sweets, for crying out loud, give him something real to do as a professional criminal profiler. He's an FBI shrink. Surely, there are ways to include him and develop him as a character, where his work coincides with Booth and the Squints at the lab? Perhaps if he's working on a criminal profile of a violent killer who's on the loose, and the case comes under Booth's jurisdiction? Whatever. Give him an actual professional purpose for being there. Give me a reason to care about him. To have him standing around a dead body, watching the Squints do their work, and saying over-obvious things like "There's a clue in that" or "The killer didn't get enough therapy"... so unnecessary. Frankly, I'm surprised one of the Squints didn't interject with a quick and annoyed "Uh, yeah, thanks, we got that covered. Why don't you go do what you're good at and leave the sewage-sorting and evidence-gathering to the experts?"

I think that is my main problem with Sweets. I don't mind the actor so much but if they want him to be part of the team, make him a true part of the team. Someone the others can respect, not just a guy getting in the way because he's young and thinks the cases are "cool" or because he likes to stalk Booth/Brennan. ;) They have had opportunities to give Sweets a real role in the cases, and though they sort of tried to justify him during the Gormogon time, they didn't really show him as a true profiler. A true profiler would have a reason to be at the scene, and to see the evidence in the lab and add very good insight into the case. But, that is really what Booth's role is, the profiler to some extent (without the psychology though he uses that sometimes too-or did in the earlier seasons), so Sweets is just another person to give the audience that nudge (ie Shove it in your face) that everyone knows that Booth/Brennan should be a couple but they are too dumb to see it.

Sharon
word count: 632

English Al
Fan

Re: Bones 4.03 The Man in the Outhouse

Post by English Al »

Well you could cut the tension with...pretty much anything you wanted really. There was nothing between Jack and Angie at all. Not glances towards each other, no contact, no drama. If watched the show for the first time you wouldn't know they had even had a relationship (which I guess is a good thing) but it was all very quiet.

Are we going to suffer a different intern every episode until they bring Zach back (please bring Zach back!!)? I don't care if he ate people :roll: :twisted:

The episode was again below par for me. A guy in a wig who died head down in a toilet? Don't buy that one at all. No mystery in the plot what-so-ever. If the episode was out of order then at least we have a poor one out of the way.

Looking forward to episode 4 now.
word count: 149