Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Tara
Fan

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Tara »

My best mates and I are going--we're going to spend the first few nights in London, staying with family, then go to Stratford, see "Hamlet", and then we haven't decided yet if you're going to go to Cardiff and be huge dorks and take photos of Mermaid Quay and Millenium Centre, or go to Oxford and wander around while I drool over the Bod. Then we're back in London, for to continue geeking with friends. I'm very excited. My dad's loaning me his phone, so I'll have a mobile while I'm there, but the computer situation is iffy at best.

Mostly, there will be LOTS of walking, and meeting up with friends. I've never actually gone to the UK with friends and not family, as a grown-up. The last half-dozen times have all been weddings, wakes, birthdays of aged relatives, that sort of thing. And going and visiting family is in no way the same as going and have a proper holiday. So we're going to do the Eye, and the Earl's Court Doctor Who exhibition, and every museum that's open, and my personal plan involves as many second-hand bookshops as one can visit in an 8 day period.
word count: 215
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

WOW, HAMLET! Great! Tara, you've got to tell us how it was (how David was! :wink: ). I know he must be fantastic in it, but please tell us what you think when you are back!

I'm gonna watch it, too, but in London! I guess I've mentioned it once or twice?!?! :wink:

Have fun in London and all the other cities you want to visit!

Looking forward to your report!

Simone
word count: 72
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Well Tara, if you can, you should try to meet up with Steph--she's absolutely fabulous in person! Although we just had dinner, we had such a wonderful evening!

Here are my off-topic contributions:

If anyone catches the new series, "The Ex-list," its exteriors are filmed within a block of my apartment in my little beach community of Ocean Beach, in San Diego. Sadly, the show itself is pretty crappy, but it's sure fun to see all our local spots featured!

Also, I hear that the San Diego Chargers (our local football team) will be playing in London this season. Perversely, I am a local San Diegan, but not a Charger fan. I'm currently cheering for my boyfriend's team, the Green Bay Packers (Wisconsin).
word count: 130
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Just another quick note! :wink:
Saw the season finale of HOUSE season 4. WOW! Amazing! I love HOUSE! It was so sad! So much drama! And what a great story - and the unusual way they told it to us. Do they already show season 5 in the USA? I am so curious what happens next. Need to search the internet - a lot to do this weekend.

Simone
word count: 66

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Simone

Yes, season 5 of House has already started. I think 5 episodes maybe? Not sure though. One was aired last night, I haven't seen it yet.

Sharon
word count: 30
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

TJ4ever wrote:WOW, HAMLET! Great! Tara, you've got to tell us how it was (how David was! :wink: ).
It's the RSC, so I'm sure it will be fantastic. "Hamlet" is one of the tragedies I've never seen onstage, and the cast looks amazing. When my pal got tickets, I couldn't say no--to see a production of "Hamlet" in Stratford? SIGN ME UP. And I've never seen Tennant onstage, so I'm really curious, tho I've lots of friends who saw him years ago with RSC, and they had nothing but good to report.

Mostly, what I'm looking forward to are visiting friends I usually only get to see once a year in February, meeting friends who don't come to the US at all. Being a complete dork and doing tourist-y things. I've never been to London without my family, on trips to visit the family that live in the UK, so I've no idea what it's like to do normal things like ride the tube from place to place. And the Eye didn't even exist, last time I was there. And I won't have a bored sibling trying to shuffle me out of the second-hand bookshops! *GLEE*

And trust me--there will be the pilgrimmage to Forbidden Planet.
begolden wrote:Well Tara, if you can, you should try to meet up with Steph--she's absolutely fabulous in person! Although we just had dinner, we had such a wonderful evening!
I'll do my best, but as it is, I've trying to schedule visiting time for every night I'm in town (mostly with "Doctor Who" fandom friends) and a lot of it depends on which night I'm eating with extended family (couldn't get out of at least one family dinner while I'm there), and what my two travelling buds want to do as well.
word count: 325
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey chill! No pressure! We can save it till another time! :)
word count: 11
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Tara wrote: It's the RSC, so I'm sure it will be fantastic. "Hamlet" is one of the tragedies I've never seen onstage, and the cast looks amazing. When my pal got tickets, I couldn't say no--to see a production of "Hamlet" in Stratford? SIGN ME UP. And I've never seen Tennant onstage, so I'm really curious, tho I've lots of friends who saw him years ago with RSC, and they had nothing but good to report.
I, too, know it will be/he will be great! I am really looking forward to it! (Guess I've mentioned that before! :wink: )

Have fun!

Simone
word count: 110

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

skftex wrote:Hi Simone
Yes, season 5 of House has already started. I think 5 episodes maybe?
Sharon
Thanks Sharon for the information! Gonna search the net for it! I hope Cuddy and House will get together. I really want to see that!

Simone
word count: 44

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

I've been watching House too! I love that show. I think in season 5 they do get together. I saw something in the previews, but i'm not sure what it was. But I won't say anymore because i dont want to ruin it for anyone. =)

I know this is a little off topic (haha yea i know. we're in the offtopic thread) and weird but guess wat i got for my birthday!!!
I got these awesome new puma shoes for indoor soccer. they are the most awesome shoes ever! i wear them around all the time now, even at school.:mrgreen:
word count: 104

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Dohee, did we miss your birthday?? Oh noooo. When was it? Did you have fun? Glad you got something fun. :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
word count: 22

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hi Dohee,

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

So sorry I've missed it! When was it?

It is great that you've got such an awesome present. Did you mentioned it to anyone that you want such shoes?

Yeah, HOUSE season 5! How great! Found a bit on the internet and saw some promos for episode 6, which will be aired next week - I think! It is a must-see for HOUSE/CUDDY-fans! :wink:

Take care!
Simone.
word count: 75

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hello everyone. It's been very quiet here so I thought I'd check in. Let you know that I am still here and haven't abandoned you. LOL Happy belated birthday Dohee.

I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know how many of you visit the homepage but I do want to say, make sure you look at it in the next couple of days. :)

Sharon
word count: 69
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

And we have our first small update on the homepage. A message to all of you.
Sharon
word count: 17

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Again, I LOVE the picture! :D Thanks, Sharon!
word count: 7

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Have you heard that David Tennant is leaving Doctor Who?!
He announced it today at the National Television Awards. Sad news! When I watched it, I had tears in my eyes! :cry: It was hard for him to announce it. His voice cracked a bit. But, well, he's right - sometimes you have to take a deep breath and move on! He will do 4 more specials in 2009, but in 2010 a new Doctor will take over! Exciting - but also still sad! :(

Hope I can sleep now!

Good night!

Simone.
word count: 90

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Aw man... you've depressed me, Simone. I was about to go to bed, too! Will he do a full season (2008-2009), or just the four shows?

Sad news. I love watching him on that show. He's wonderful.

:(
word count: 40
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I am so sorry, Sherry! Did not sleep very well, either! It's sad, but somehow I understand him that he wants to move on. It was so sweet when he announced it. Everybody was shouting "oh no", etc., and he said "Please, don't make me cry" and his voice cracked a bit. I've got tears in my eyes! That was really sad! :cry: He is such a wonderful man! :)

No, he's not doing another regular season. In January 2009 he starts filming the first of 4 specials of Doctor Who. So he will still be the Doctor in 2009. But in season 5 in 2010 there will be a new Doctor. I guess the Christmas special in 2009 will be his last one.

Hope you got some sleep!

Simone.
word count: 132

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I knew I should have made time to watch those awards! Oh, that is sad; the person who comes after will have huge shoes to fill. I wonder whether it will be David Morrissey, who I believe is in this year's Cybermen-in-Victorian-times Christmas special as another Doctor incarnation whom Tennant meets? Hope not (good actor though he is), we'll never hear the end of it at school: we have educated all his nephews!

It was always the plan (as RTD re-iterates, Sherry, in that excellent book I recommended to you) to take a break from regular series, do 4 2009 specials and then recommence in 2010. Makes a logical break for DT I guess.

But ooh - sad!
word count: 123
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Yes, I am very curious who will be the next Doctor, too! Very sad that he is leaving. He is perfect for this part!

Steph, don't know if you've already found it on the net but I will send you the link where you can watch it!

Simone.
word count: 50