Bones 4.07 The He In The She

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 4.07 The He In The She

Post by ThyneAlone »

Just caught last night's Bones on the Net.

Of course much of what we have previously criticised remains a problem. But I'm just going to say for now: I saw a few signs of positive development. I didn't see as much of Sweets as usual.There was a theme. Redemption was actually a theme. And seeing through the superficial to the worth within. And acceptance. I liked that. Also, I understood the plot and didn't see too much pussyfooting about with red herrings. Not enough interaction between the squints though, we rarely see them all together these days. And, obviously, not enough TJ.

To my absolute dumbfounded astonishment, I liked the intern. I liked him even though they had endowed him with yet another annoying trait, that of irrelevancy and random statements of 'interesting' facts. He was charming, personable and bright, and seemed to have a genuine understanding of why he didn't fit in with the others. The accent was good....natural....well-spoken but with a slight Birmingham twang. It worked. Wish they hadn't given him the silly double barrel, though. It's another cliché - the English upper middle classes have double surnames - and it's not true! The double-barrelled surnames I hear now are all down to divorces or unwed parents. Not that you'd ever hear a name like 'Nigel-Murray' anyway; Nigel just isn't used as a surname. Anyway - offtopic again! - I'd like to see more of Mr Ryan Cartwright, thought he did a good job.

Might need to watch it again for more detail. These are just first-impression observations.
word count: 274
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 4.07 The He In The She

Post by begolden »

I liked the new intern as well--as well as I could like anyone who isn't Zach, that is... Seems that the trend is for the new intern to make a suggestive comment about Angela in front of Hodgins just so we can see his reaction.

Speaking of Hodgins and Angela... nice moment between T.J. and Michaela when Angela is showing her drawing to Hodgins and the intern. It was all in their looks to each other, but it was poignant and effective. I thought I saw yearning and regret on Angela's face--am I being unrealistically hopeful?
word count: 101
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Wow, not a lot of talk about this last episode. I liked the new intern too .

I don't think you are being unrealistically hopeful Rebecca, I agree with you on the Hodgins/Angela scene. I hope we get more of those. And of course more..more..more Hodgins scenes. :)

I'd like to add more about the episode but honestly, I can't even think of anything to say about it right now. Sigh.

I think it'll be November before another new Bones is aired, am I correct? Since FOX airs the world series and the playoffs, they aren't showing one during that time are they?

Sharon
word count: 110
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

That's right, all sorts of stuff in the way till November now. Is the UK going to 'catch up' do you think? :)
word count: 23

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

A pretty good episode. The intern got rather annoying (us English people do not speak like that, honest) but at least he went to Leeds University rather than the more obvious Cambridge or Oxford.

I am getting rather tired of the different interns now. It's become gimmicky to see how many different character traites they have squeeze into the episodes. What haven't we had yet. Gay, flambouyant, sporty, sexy, ginger, baby...oh no that turned into the Spice Girls.

The religion aspect of the ep was good. It brought up a lot of past conversations between Booth and Brennan. Again I don't remember Angela having much to do in this ep...or Jack actually. It was pretty much a B&B episode.

I think it's time to get Brennan back in the Jeffersonian though. She'll forget what the place looks like soon.
word count: 147

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

So when you say, "us English people do not speak like that" what do you mean? I'm just confused because Zack certainly didn't speak like the majority of Americans if you are talking about WHAT he said. I honestly don't think any of the interns are suppose to represent the norm no matter where they are from. They are going with the cliche that if someone is on the genius level, they are weird I think, and more so if they are forensic anthropologists and able to be a grad student of Brennan's. Though I often wonder...when does she actually spend time at the University these grad students are affliated with? Thats another matter though.

Sharon
word count: 121
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Quick wave to you Sharon, I see we are on the board simultaneously! I think you are right; the highly intelligent obsessive, even to the point of autistic-spectrum savant, is indeed a cliché. The writers need to watch out for that, because using stereotypes can look rather lazy, and by playing with the 'intern of the week', they are not really giving themselves a fair chance to create someone real and likeable. You are also right in saying that these people are not intended as portrayals of the typical Anyone from Anywhere! Nevertheless it is possible, with a bit of screen time, for a talented actor to transform a cliché into something warm and real. Read the early Jack Hodgins lines and they basically scream classic geek at you; but TJ has made him into something complex and endearing.

Al, I don't quite know what you find unrealistic about the intern's dialogue either. Is it an accent thing, or do you find the phrasing odd, or is it the actual subject matter? It didn't strike me as 'wrong' the way that some of the screenplay of 'Yanks In The UK' struck an odd note. Certainly I know people who speak in that way (and think in that way; my 16-year-old cheerfully drops irrelevant facts into the course of a conversation whenever they distract him!).

Btw, kudos to the writers for mentoning a place I'm becoming endeared to. Leeds is where my elder son is at university doing French. Great city, animated and interesting, and great uni, where my son's professor is one of my ex-pupils.
word count: 274

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

I do mean accent. The things he said were fine. I'm a big fan of stats and titbits of trivia so the dialogue or scripting didn't bother me. Like I said I was pleased he went to Leeds Uni instead of the obvious two.

I just get fed up with people thinking all English people sound "toffee" or cockney (ala Mary Poppins) when it simply isn't true. Why couldn't the intern be from somewhere in England that has more of a recognised accent? Scouse, Gerodie, even Brummie would have been nice, but no they went with the old fashioned RP.

Did you know the Brummie accent was voted as the least trustworthy of all English accents?

I'm having a little moan really. Never liked the portrayal of accents since Daphne was supposed to be from "Manchester" in Frasier :roll: I whinge on and on and on and on about that all the time.
word count: 157

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

There was Brummie. Listen to him again. Yes, the stage school veneer tends to overlay the whole thing, and I am just as concerned as you are that our beautiful native accents and dialects get a look in (provided they are not incomprehensible internationally in terms of local expressions and colour), but some of his (I assume) native twang remains, and that makes it a little bit more real for me.

Surprised to hear that Brummie is the 'least trustworthy'. Did Scouse not come in for a bashing? Given that they (my adopted countrymen btw)have this unfortunate petty criminal stereotype? Mind you, I could go on forever about stereotypes, being an Essex girl (with an RP overlay!!!). For those of you unfamiliar with this particular image, girls where I come are supposed to be intellectually challenged, vulgar and promiscuous. Hummph.
word count: 141

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

Having actually looked up the stat it's 1 in 3 who think the scouse accent is untrustworthy, I apologise. The Brummie makes people think of "stupid" and "annoying" apparently.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/401 ... or-dummies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/ju ... graduates1
word count: 49

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

whoa, sorry for momentary offtopic, but that is really, really interesting. Speaks volumes about the British class system, still rigid, if somewhat less in-your-face, than in previous times. RP has always been perceived as educated and intelligent (and actually sometimes malevolently so - there seem to be an awful lot of movie villains with that accent), Cockney as streetwise and a little dishonest. But there are lots of shades in between.

Tell you what I identify with; the change of accent (and language btw) depending on who you're talking to. On the phone to our families, Hubby and I revert to quite strong Cheshire and Essex accents respectively. And has anyone heard John Barrowman talking to his parents?!!

One of our questions to TJ on the all-you-wanted-to-know thread is whether he can do accents. I'd love to hear that.
word count: 146

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

Yes, sorry for straying.

Does anyone else get the felling Sweets is getting nowhere fast with Booth and Brennan in his sessions? They always seem to be waiting there for a call. I'm sure Sweets will be taking lots of mental notes about they can only communicate when they're on the job or in an enclosed social environment (the cafe, etc). I'd like to see others in there more often, like the scene with Jack.
word count: 78

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Don't apologise, I love our proper conversations on here, and I'm as inclined to go offtopic as others. If it crops up again, we'll carry it across to the Sofa with a cup of coffee, deal?

Agree with you completely about Sweets, but then I never saw the sessions as necessary in the first place, so I am unsurprised at how contrived and barren they are becoming. TJ's scene on the other hand was better written and conveyed something of how Jack's getting through all his recent difficulties, so it was actually quite intriguing. Don't know how I feel about Angela wanting a brief consultation every time she bumps into Sweets informally, though; it doesn't seem realistic to me.

Like everyone else, Lance Sweets would be more interesting and believable if he were given a spot of backstory, or if we could see a genuine effect on him of this perpetual disparagement by Brennan and Booth. They really do treat him with contempt and he just seems to accept it.
word count: 177

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Nice episode! Liked that Hodgins/Angela/Nigel scene, too! That look from TJ! Wow! :D

I liked the new intern. He was better than the one before. But I understand that he is not gonna stay, right.

The actor who played the son of the pastor was great. Don't know his name, but he was in 7th Heaven. Played also the son of a pastor. Wow, what a change in this episode. Looked very cool!

Simone
word count: 76
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

I'm new to this site but a massive fan of both TJ and 'Bones'. I Recently watched this episode and was impressed with the theme, the whole theological debate, it made for some good dialogue between B&B.
I agree with the comments that the sessions with Sweets are not working at the mo, they just make B&B out to be really ignorant and Sweets out to be completely ineffective.
Also agree that the intern was good but do agree that a variation in accents for British people would be good, this is common in US programmes though they seem to think that London=Britain/UK. Being a scouser myself it would be good to hear more regional accents. However, I did see David Boreanaz on the Paul O'Grady show once and he spent almost the entire show with a blank expression on his face not understanding a word Paul said so maybe it wouldn't work so well!
Finally just to say that as you all probably think anyway Hodgins is a really cool character, quirky, edgy and a bit crazy what could be better!
word count: 189

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Jude40! Welcome!

I think the accents thing, it works both ways, as an American on a British show nearly always sounds like someone from the midwest to me. Why they can't just employ an American to be the American, and a British person to be British (though in the case of the intern, he really is from Birmingham). And sometimes, it does work, as in Hugh Laurie's case on House, except he's supposed to be from Kentucky and doesn't really sound like it. Still, he does sound American, which Hugh Laurie is not. Its an argument for the ages I think the stereotypes of people/accents from other countries that get portrayed on television/movies.

Anyway, welcome and hope you dive in to other sections of the board as well! I honestly think Hodgins is the most interesting character on Bones, but I might be biased. :wink:

Sharon
word count: 152

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sharon, surely not. Lol. :)

Hey, Jude! (Omg you get that all the time, don't you? :oops: *shame*) Hi, I'm Steph, one of the moderators; we haven't had a new member post for a little while, so Huge Welcome. You come at an exciting time, as we are currently working with TJ to revamp the site, which had stagnated for a while. So stay on board. Oh, and if you feel up to it, jump down to our sofa in the Welcome forum and tell us about yourself. We nearly all think TJ is the best thing on Bones, so you are in exalted and numerous company.

And on a more personal level, you're the nearest member of this board to me geographically. I'm about 5 miles north of Liverpool and have lived in and loved Merseyside for 27 years. My mishmash of an accent still shows my Essex origins, though. It's funny what you said about Paul O'Grady. My mother used to visit me frequently here (she has to look after my dad now, he's not too well, so she doesn't get up as often) and took a taxi from Lime St station to my front door if we couldn't pick her up directly. She says she has held 10-minute conversations with Scouse cabbies without either of them understanding a word the other said!!
word count: 234

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Sharon/Steph
Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to the next episode of 'Bones' tonight, in the UK.
I'll do as you suggested Steph and go give some more info about myself on the sofa

Jude
word count: 38

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

I liked the new intern too, i'm watching this episode now. That moment between Angela and Hodgins was certainly something. I hope they can patch things up properly between them. I missed all of season 3, so i don't know what's going on, but a friend told me Hodgins doesn't trust Angela anymore...that's a shame, they were so good together!
word count: 66
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Yeah, you're right, Ellen! But maybe they just want to bring some tension in it to make the Jack/Angela relationship more interesting for other/new viewers and then they end up together again! As for me they didn't have to do that! I just want to see them together!
Simone
word count: 53
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.