The Jack And Angela Relationship

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Super Fan lol, that's cool. Although it sounds as though you need a costume or something, after all what colour would you like the underwear, you wear over your tights to be?? lol ;)

No, I really don't think I could imagine any other people playing the characters we've grown to know and love and I can understand why they wouldn't want the guy who played Oliver to be Zach, for one he looks way too old to be 24(?) (I glad EM doesn't look his age lol), and he's seriously creepy (although that could just be his incredible acting talent). Personally, though I struggle to see how he can be considered to be similar to TJ, but again maybe it was more down to the way he was portraying Zach and the way TJ portrays Jack than the way the guys look physically.
word count: 149
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:Oh goodness, I've just noticed, I've been labelled a 'Super Fan' since last night! Does that mean I've passed a posting quota or something? 100, possibly? Come on guys - we are all super fans, aren't we?
Tee hee ... SuperFan! Yes, I love it! And to echo what Wil said, what would your lovely superhero costume look like? Would you have a big "TJ SF" on your back? Tights? A catsuit? ;)

Yes, we can't let a title define who we are, right? We're all super fans of TJ! (But not in the stalkerish creepy Oliver way, TJ, just in case you're reading! Though, some of us do consider ourselves to be Hodginites!). :)
willowwood wrote:No, I really don't think I could imagine any other people playing the characters we've grown to know and love and I can understand why they wouldn't want the guy who played Oliver to be Zach, for one he looks way too old to be 24(?) (I glad EM doesn't look his age lol), and he's seriously creepy (although that could just be his incredible acting talent). Personally, though I struggle to see how he can be considered to be similar to TJ, but again maybe it was more down to the way he was portraying Zach and the way TJ portrays Jack than the way the guys look physically.
I assumed that by "feel", they meant it was something to do with the acting method, rather than looks. And yes, Oliver is creepy! I hope the actor is just really, really good at pulling that off, and not that he's creepy! LOL. I always wondered, because some people are insane villains, and I'll hate the character so much that I'll begin to hate the actor. (Such is the case for Carol Bernette. My friend loves her, but to me she'll always be the mean old Miss Hannigan!). It would be interesting to see the guy who plays Oliver as something other than Oliver! Also, the guy who played Howard Epps, as he's pretty darn creepy himself!
word count: 359

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

KimberHodgela wrote: Tee hee ... SuperFan! Yes, I love it! And to echo what Wil said, what would your lovely superhero costume look like? Would you have a big "TJ SF" on your back? Tights? A catsuit? ;)
Hmm. This is where my viewing of 'The Incredibles' is going to come in handy. It's going to be a catsuit I think, blue obviously. It will have 'The Big Easy' on the front and probably, as you suggest, Kimber, TJSF on the back. Both will be in glowy sushi. And I'll have mukluks for the feet and a little circlet of white roses on my head. My cape will be a nice, big towel. What do you think, fellow fighters of all things anti-TJ?
word count: 124

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Superfan! LOL! Congrats, Steph, that's, as you say, brilliant!

Seems our Mighty Admin has quite the sense of humor--I feel like we should be on a first name basis with him/her as well. Perhaps he/she will reveal their secret identity to us?

As far as costumes go, I suppose with "Baby Admin" attached to my name, I must wear something pink with a large B across the breast, eh? The B would suit me fine, since I am a "Becky" to most of my family and closest friends.
word count: 92
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Tee hee ... OMG, Steph! Your costume sounds amazing! Anyone a seamstress here? Wait, you do teddy bears ... maybe you could whip that up for yourself at some point? Oh, I especially love the "The Big Easy" bit, and the "TJSF" on the back ... spelled out in glowing sushi! That's too awesome :) And the mukluks to boot! (No pun intended). Oh, dear.

Rebecca, your costume sounds just as cute! A big "B", eh? Neato. Baby Admin ... is it just me (and my teenage obsession), or does it sound like you could be the 6th member of the Spice Girls? ;) Maybe the Hodginite Girls...
word count: 103

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Interesting point ... I just went over to the Fox Bones site (http://www.fox.com/bones), and the featured POLL is this:

What do you think of Angela and Hodgins' relationship?

The choices are: * OMG, they're so cute, * Too young to get married, and *They should see other people.

I find it comforting that when I viewed the results, the little bar for "OMG, they're so cute" goes right out of the little box! (And also, how could 11% of voters really pick "They should see other people"??)
word count: 90
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Did many people vote 'too young'?
Because I think that's completely ridiculous. They've both been round the block several times - one of them has been married without even knowing, both have been involved in serious and non-serious relationships before - they're hardly dewy-eyed and naive. How old are they meant to be I wonder?
word count: 58

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:Did many people vote 'too young'?
Because I think that's completely ridiculous. They've both been round the block several times - one of them has been married without even knowing, both have been involved in serious and non-serious relationships before - they're hardly dewy-eyed and naive. How old are they meant to be I wonder?
Good question, Steph. I wonder how old they are. We know that Zack is young, about 24/25 (even though Eric is much older!). I believe Brennan is in her early 30s, or perhaps *is* 30. But Jack and Angela ... who knows! I'm trying to recall if anything related to age was ever brought up, and I can't conjure anything. I would assume, with Jack's three doctorates, and Angela's "worldly life", that they would be in their late twenties at least, perhaps early to mid thirties for Jack.

By the way - 6% said "too young", and now 10% said they should see other people. Still can't see the number on the first choice, as the little bar goes off into oblivion! :)
word count: 186
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm rather glad they didn't have an option saying "they're positively sickly, without any chemistry at all, and I wouldn't miss them if they stopped getting in the way of the BB story".

Because I have actually read posts from people on various boards who have very strong feelings in that direction :( , and even posters who say they are fed up with 'all the sex' they claim is going on! :shock: :shock:

I find this very difficult to comprehend. It seems to come mainly from younger viewers who ship BB very strongly and aren't particularly interested in the team dynamic which I personally feel is a huge strength of the show. I wonder if the Hodgela relationship does get older fans on the whole. I was very surprised (and gratified) to discover that so many of my co-supporters are mid-twenties right up to forties. Not that I would ever put down younger viewers, it is not my habit to patronise the very people I love working with, and who frequently astonish me with their maturity and insights. But we do seem to be a slightly older demographic. Or are we?
word count: 195

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

KimberHodgela wrote:I just went over to the Fox Bones site (http://www.fox.com/bones), and the featured POLL is this:

What do you think of Angela and Hodgins' relationship?

The choices are: * OMG, they're so cute, * Too young to get married, and *They should see other people.
Sorry, but those answer choices have got to be some of the lamest I've ever heard. The first answer is really the only one you can pick, but it comes across like it was written by a thirteen year old. The second answer is ridiculous--Hodgins has to be over thirty, and Angela at least in her late twenties. The final answer? Well, that one is for those folks who don't want a Jack and Angela relationship to begin with. Oh well, at least the first answer got the most responses.
word count: 143

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Rebecca, I've visited the Fox page quite often, and I find that their polls are usually silly. Some of them have been alright, but overall, I think the options given are absolutely pointless. I agree that really, the first answer is the only one that even remotely makes sense!

Also, I liked Steph's idea, about there being an option to vote that Hodgela takes away screen time from B&B and the like. And the sex thing ... oh, don't get me started. I found it really, really funny that people were complaining that there was "too much sex" in this show, and that the whole Cleopatra's Bed Scene (yes, it's good enough to be capitalized) was "too much" and too revealing.

But, what do you want to bet that, if it had been Booth and Brennan in that bed, that there would have been fewer complaints? I mean, even when we had the Sully and Brennan bed scene, I didn't hear that much complaining.

*deep breath* I think that a lot of the anit-Hodgela fans are really heavy duty B&B fans, who just think this relationship was put into the show to "take the heat" off of B&B. Which is untrue, of course. I'm a B&B shipper too, but I mean - we know it's not going to happen anytime soon, and I"ll admit that the unspoken chemistry and little tidbits we're offered is good enough for me. Angela and Jack, now there's a relationship I want to see more of!!
word count: 265

sapphiresilt
Fan

Post by sapphiresilt »

Ooh. I didn't see this thread yesterday when I came by. Of course anyone who knows me knows I absolutely *adore* Jack and Angela. In fact, my name here is in tribute to them (it's somewhat of a long story, but sapphire is Angela and silt is Jack!).

I think they make one of the most fascinating couples I've ever seen on television. TJ and Michaela are perfect in their roles, and I really love the way they interact (the way they speak to each other, look at each other, speak about each other...). And I definitely don't think their intimate moments are too much...in fact, we definitely need more! The Cleopatra bed scene was one scene in one episode out of countless ones. Both Booth and Brennan (separately, of course) have appeared in more bed scenes than these two have...so I've never understood the griping by some viewers, either!

And, I've said this on other forums, but I'd really like to see Angela "suffer" a bit more this season. I know it sounds a tad harsh, but I think poor Jack has borne too many hurt feelings. The date episode (God, the ending of that one is heartbreaking to me, even now), the scene just before he gets run over by the car and buried, the move-in proposal turndown, the first marriage proposal turndown (which we unfortunately didn't get to see), the second marriage proposal turndown (which literally made me sob for hours after viewing it), and, of course, the moment of truth at their wedding. Clearly this boy has suffered. But when has Angela shed a tear over Jack? Not that I want to see her in any real or lasting pain, but just something to make her realize that Jack is a gift and that she should be d@mn lucky to have him in her life.

Okay, breathe. I do try to be objective, but I know in my heart that I will always side with Jack. And if the writers/producers break them up, I just pray that it's not Jack at the receiving end...my heart couldn't bear it. But, I know that Jack and Angela belong together, so I refuse to even think that they could break up...ever!

Not sure my ramblings are leading anywhere. I just wanted to share my thoughts about this couple. They have had an amazing journey together, and I have loved watching it unfold. Can't wait for Season 3!
word count: 426

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

sapphiresilt wrote:Okay, breathe. I do try to be objective, but I know in my heart that I will always side with Jack. And if the writers/producers break them up, I just pray that it's not Jack at the receiving end.
Well, the thing is that one knows instinctively that Jack will probably suffer more. Angela somehow gives the impression of being able to cope better with emotional trauma, perhaps because she has not shut herself away from it in quite the same way that Jack has in the past, and has maybe not given as much of herself this time as he has. Yes, in the end, in plunging into this 'head over feet' he has made himself the more vulnerable of the pair. So obviously we all rush to protect him, and are as devastated as he is in the scenes you describe!
That's my take on it. anyway.
:)
word count: 154

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I notice we have not commented here for a little while and I was wondering now that we have had a good (ish) dose of S3, what do you all think about the way Jack and Angela are being developed from the emotional point of view?
I've been disappointed on the whole. There have been some gems of little moments, some moving, some laugh-out-loud funny, but not enough to satisfy me. The squints are getting crowded out by all the BB focus and the sudden influx of recurrers. And I really would have liked to have seen our couple move on past this silly husband business. Their relationship must surely be in abeyance until this is resolved; how can they possibly move on normally (you know - have arguments occasionally, relax together etc) while they are still waiting to see whether they can be a normal couple?
word count: 149
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I agree Steph. It's as if the whole husband thing is driving their storyline now. We get little of what's personal between them unless it has to do with old hubby. I'm am not happy about this at all. During last week's episode Angela tells Brennan that she can come stay with her. I guess this means that Angela still hasn't moved in with Jack? This is the kind of detail that seems unrealistic--it's as if the whole relationship came to a standstill after the aborted wedding. They should be living together by now. Seems like Angela would move in with Jack as a token of her good faith since she couldn't marry him.
word count: 122

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

begolden: They should be living together by now. Seems like Angela would move in with Jack as a token of her good faith since she couldn't marry him.
Unless she thinks moving in with Jack would cause her problems down the line (legal ones or otherwise), when she applies for a divorce from the other guy. Then I suppose I could see her wanting to wait until it's all over first.

Of course, we don't know any of this because the writers haven't touched on these kinds of details. ;)

Personally, from what I've seen so far, I think Jack has been an extremely patient and understanding man. What a nutty situation!

But I can't really contribute more to the conversation until I've seen last week's episode and the one that will air tomorrow -- I won't fly back into town until late tomorrow night. Here's hoping my recorder had no issues taping the two programs for me while I was gone.

I better turn in soon... I've got to get up and hit the airport first thing in the AM, take a short flight, and then catch a connecting flight from Portland to Chicago. It's supposed to rain overnight -- please think positive thoughts for safe runways and good weather for travel. :D

Hope you are all doing well and having a great week.
word count: 233

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

You may have already discussed it, but why does Angela agreed to marry Hodgins at the end of season 2, although she knew that she is already married? I mean it is perfectly understandable that she wants to marry him :) but I think it was the episode "The Woman In The Car" of season 1 where the woman who interviewed all of them told her. Is there an answer in season 3?

You now, we are still in the middle of season 2 here in Germany and I still haven´t got the season 2 DVD´s! :(
word count: 97
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

TJ4ever wrote:You may have already discussed it, but why does Angela agreed to marry Hodgins at the end of season 2, although she knew that she is already married?
Your guess is as good as mine, babe. Heaven knows he asked her enough times for her to recall it. It's like she and the writers conveniently forgot the fact, and it doesn't surface again until the S2 finale. One of those anomalies, like Brennan first of all not having grandparents and then having a grandfather.

Incidentally (sorry Simone - offtopic - you made something else come into my mind!), talking about anomalies; I was unsurprisingly watching 'Aliens In A Spaceship' this afternoon to take the sting out of report writing, and I suddenly realised that when someone asks why Brennan and Hodgins have been taken Booth immediately replies that it's because of Hodgins and his incredible wealth. Errrr? Wasn't Brennan the original quarry, and didn't Jack get taken by accident?

Get it together, writers!
word count: 168
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

TJ4ever wrote:You may have already discussed it, but why does Angela agreed to marry Hodgins at the end of season 2, although she knew that she is already married? I mean it is perfectly understandable that she wants to marry him :) but I think it was the episode "The Woman In The Car" of season 1 where the woman who interviewed all of them told her. Is there an answer in season 3?
Yes, we've discussed this one to death, but are no closer to a satisfying answer. This is just one of the many implausibilities on this show, and one that we wish would go away! As far as we know, Angela was impetuous, and completely wasted on some local alcoholic drink called kava. According to Angela, she doesn't remember much except for jumping over a broomstick with the guy. She apparently didn't take the ceremony seriously at the time, since she is surprised later to find out that she was legitimately married. Right after the marriage she must have left the island and hubby, not giving him a second thought.

All we can hope for is that they resolve this husband issue with as little pain to poor Hodgins as possible, and of course a happy ending for him and Angela.
word count: 217

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

ThyneAlone wrote:
Incidentally (sorry Simone - offtopic - you made something else come into my mind!), talking about anomalies; I was unsurprisingly watching 'Aliens In A Spaceship' this afternoon to take the sting out of report writing, and I suddenly realised that when someone asks why Brennan and Hodgins have been taken Booth immediately replies that it's because of Hodgins and his incredible wealth. Errrr? Wasn't Brennan the original quarry, and didn't Jack get taken by accident?
No problem, Steph! I think Booth just thought that Jack was the "original quarry"! He doesn´t now that he has been taken by accident.
word count: 103
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.