Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Oooo Hi Jude! Just saw you are on here right now. I've got to get going to class. But wanted to send a wave your way! :greetings-waveyellow:
word count: 27
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Sharon

Thanks for the wave, good luck with the classes I really don't envy you!

Jude x
word count: 19

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

It's very unfortunately official now.

After three interviews for the position, and a whole lotta waiting going on, I did not get the job.

I don't know whether to throw up or cry. :cry: Is 2008 over yet? I really need something positive to happen, like, yesterday. I'm so depressed.
word count: 52

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Ah Sherry. I'm sooooo sorry. I was really hoping you'd get it. :romance-grouphug:

Not that it'll make that better, but if you go to the site (grr the link is not available on the message board side) you can read TJ's answer to another question. Maybe a good distraction-though it is about having a bad day! :shock:

Sharon
word count: 61
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh Sherry I am so very sorry. I have wanted to be on here a lot more lately and have been resentful that work has been such a b***h it's been impossible. But who am I to resent the fact that I have a job? What you are going through is such a nightmare, and yet you come on here, support others who are down for whatever reason, speak to us all articulately and positively...this board would be the poorer if you weren't here.

That job is there for you somewhere but you have to keep believing in yourself :romance-grouphug: Don't start feeling that you're not good enough. It's just so many people are after the available jobs. And, in some cases too, the less experienced are considerably cheaper.

Do as Sharon suggests, pop along to our spanking new TJ Skeletons section. A lovely personal word from TJ for all of us, I think you'll appreciate his scene setting.
word count: 166
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thank you for the hugs and kind words, Sharon and Steph.

It sucked because I went out Christmas shopping today, and I was in a decent mood, having fun picking out presents for my parents and really cool toys for my niece and nephew, in general just enjoying a nice, relaxing day. But then I got home and I had barely even gotten in the door with all my purchases when I saw the envelope on the kitchen table (from the company with whom I'd interviewed) and I just knew it was a rejection letter (otherwise, they would have called to offer me a job). I think I knew a couple weeks ago, back when they were taking longer than they said they would, interviewing their own employees, offering the job to them as a potential internal position, but I wanted to hold on to the hope anyway. Plus, they had fed me extra hope by being so enthusiastic about me and by telling me that I was 'at the top of the pile.' I couldn't help but feel encouraged.

Until I saw that letter waiting for me today, and then I knew it was over. And I felt all the joy of the day suck right out of me and my stomach knotted and my heart fell and I just felt so ... empty and lost.

I know a lot of it is the economy, because I've truly never had such problems getting a job before in my life. At the same time, I can't help but feel a little bit bad about myself. The longer this goes on, the worse I feel.

ThyneAlone wrote:What you are going through is such a nightmare, and yet you come on here, support others who are down for whatever reason, speak to us all articulately and positively...this board would be the poorer if you weren't here.
*sob* :cry:

Thank you, Steph.
word count: 324

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Sherry

Just off to bed, up way too late already, but I read your posts and had to write a quick message. I know its not gonna be much comfort right now but I genuinely believe that things happen for a reason (even the bad stuff) and that there there is an even better opportunity waiting round the corner for you. Hey, if the combined will of everyone on here means anything you are bound to get some good fortune soon.

Jude x
word count: 84

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hey Sherry, I know I can't say anything to make you really feel better, except that our thoughts are with you and are fingers stay crossed for you. I have many people in my life right now who are either unemployed or underemployed--mostly people in the construction industry, which has taken a real nose dive here in San Diego. Like Steph, I'm thankful for my job. Fortunately, there will always be children, and they will always need to go to school. Try to enjoy the simple pleasures of the holidays, and hopefully after they are over and it's January the new year will bring new opportunities. Keep hanging in there, kiddo! :romance-grouphug:
word count: 115
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*hugs Rebecca and Jude*

Thank you both. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 7

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Ahh, Sherry, I am so sorry! :romance-grouphug: Hey, it's there loss!
Did you went to your family on Thanksgiving? Maybe they cheered you up a bit? Or maybe this will cheer you up? :teasing-tease:

I am sorry that I wasn't in here for about a week. Had to finish all my work which was due within the next two weeks and instruct my co-workers what they need to do, because I am now on vacation for two weeks! Very happy about that! :banana-rock:

Sharon, yes I watch the current season of House on the internet. Same as Bones, but I am really behind watching Bones. I watched it till episode 6. At the moment I am very interested in what happens between House and Cuddy! :romance-heartsmiley: Haven't watched the last episode which was 10 minutes longer, yet. But really looking forward to it! Must be great. Already watched some promos!

Will check in again maybe tomorrow. But don't know, yet, because I need to prepare some things for my trip to London! (David! :romance-admire: )
But I will definitely check in again before I go!

Simone. :auto-camptrailer:
word count: 185
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Garb24
Fan

Post by Garb24 »

OK, I'm going to be honest here, I read the first two pages of 'Sofa Time' and then skipped to the final page. Don't crucify me, it would be tough to read 770 posts, but I will in time.

Here is my 'Sofa Time' info.
I'm a happily married father of two kids, 14yr old daughter and a 10yr old son. Married now for 16yrs to my lovely wife Cathy. I was born and raised in Southern Ontario (Flesherton/Durham) and spent my youth playing sports, mostly hockey. I also played Bball & Bsktball, some badminton, soccer and football. In high school I joined a amatuer square dance team, it was fun but only lasted for 4 yrs. I still enjoy line dancing and watching the dance shows like "Feet of Flames" etc. I played competetive hockey until I was 31, and have payed rec hockey until a couple of year ago when I had back surgery, I have not played since but would like to again some time.
My career is in the automotive industry, I am a supervisor in the quality department of a large well known manufacturer, I have been there for 20yrs and am looking forward to retirement in ten more (I am currently 40yrsold). My wife is a coordinator for a home nursing agency and we enjoy watching TV, especially the LEAFS. In my spare time I coach minor hockey, I am a member of the Minor Hockey Association, I have also been a member of the Kinsmen Club of Canada (Registrar & VP), Senior Hockey executive and Ran Charitable Baseball tournaments to help less fourtnate kids. Our daughter has CP so it leads me in that direction. In TV I enjoy '24', Two & A Half Men, Bones & Life. I'm a huge James Bond fan, I just went and seen the latest last week. I enjoy country music, computers, writing and reading.
Ok, I'm getting winded, that's it for now, the Leafs & LA Kings are getting ready to drop the puck.

Go Leafs Go.

Garb24.
word count: 344

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Wonderful bio, Garb24! Welcome once more! Sounds like you have a full and interesting life--thanks for sharing with us! It's great to get to know everyone on the board a little more personally than just through their relationship to Bones.
word count: 42
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Welcome to the Sofa, Garb24! :D

Wait a minute... what do you mean, you couldn't get through 770 posts in one night?! Slacker. ;)

Kidding, of course. Some places I can't even begin to post because there have been so many discussions going on, I get so behind. (Not usually here, but on other sites.)

With your hockey coaching and work and your wife and two kids, I'm simply amazed and pleased you found time to pop in and chat at all!

Tell us, what brought you to watch the show Bones? Had you been familiar with TJ's work before this program? Had you been a fan of any of the other actors (for example, several of us came to Bones because we'd watched David Boreanaz on his former programs, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel).

How did you like the new Bond film? I've heard it's not quite as good the one that came before it. Do you like Daniel Craig as James Bond? Who's your favorite Bond?

Okay, enough throwing questions at you for now. Go back to watching your hockey game. :mrgreen:

Sherry
(Sinkwriter72)
word count: 192
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Garb24, nice to read more about you.

I'm a hockey fan too. A Dallas Stars fan-which isn't easy this year! They are having a really really bad year so far. I blame it on them trading my favorite player last season. I've never played hockey though, coming from a place where it only snows once or twice a year and the snow is only on the ground for a couple of hours. :mrgreen:

I don't think I've EVER caught up on reading all the sofa thread. I've done well enough keeping up with it since I joined!

Simone I haven't watched the hour and 10 minute House yet either. And a new one is tonight so I'll be two behind. When do you go to England?

Well almost time for me to head off to class.

Editing to say HI STEPH! Saw we are online at the same time. :greetings-wavegreen:

Sharon
word count: 159

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well hi there!
I've just been putting some juicy stuff into spoilers, do take a peek if you haven't already.

And don't anyone worry about the length of the sofa. It's not a competition to see who can read the most. It's a place to relax. Good to know more about you, Garb24!
word count: 58
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Garb24, thanks for the bio. I used to love James Bond, too, but since Daniel Craig I don't like it very much anymore. For me (!) Bond is Sean Connery AND - of course - PIERCE BROSNAN. I hope they'll find a better one after Daniel Craig, again. How many Bond movies will he make? I hope not much more. Of course that is only my opinion!

Sharon, saw House episode 9 on Sunday. Wow, that was a good one! Except I just don't like 13 very much and she had a lot of scenes in that episode. Try to find episode 10 from this week later. Must be good, too. Saw already some promos. (House/Cuddy! :wink: - great scene!)
I'll go to London next week. Really looking forward to that trip! :happy-bouncyyellow:
Tara, how was your England-trip? Did you enjoy Hamlet? How was the Doctor Who exhibition?

Hey, I'm now a 'Conspiracy Theorist'! Spooky! :sci-fi-beamup: :sci-fi-grayalien: I love it!

See you!
Simone :sci-fi-robot:
word count: 162

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I was wondering if anyone had noticed the new levels for the posts that Steph had Ben set up for us. I see that you noticed it Simone. Very cool isn't it?

Have fun in London, think of me while I'm taking my finals next week ok? :x

All of my last three mid-terms I did fairly well on. One C, one B and one A. Thought I failed the one that I had the C on so was THRILLED with the high C.

Thats about all thats going on here. One more class today and then only have my finals left.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Sherry! You were online when I logged in, so just giving you a wave in case you are still here! :greetings-wavingblue:
Sharon

word count: 131

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

:greetings-waveyellow: Hi, Sharon! I'm still online, though I may have to log off soon. At any rate, great to hear from you. Congratulations on your test scores, and good luck on your finals! I'll be pulling for you! :pray: Heee.

I didn't notice the new 'levels'! I read Simone's comment about being a Conspiracy Theorist, but had no idea to what she was referring. :lol: Cooool! Oh wait... I'm a 'Bug Guy'? Heh. That scares me a little. I'm so not a bug person. (No offense, Hodgins. *GRIN*) Seriously though, I love the new levels. Very fun.

Okay, I'm off for now! Talk with you all soon! :dance:
word count: 111

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

skftex wrote:I was wondering if anyone had noticed the new levels for the posts that Steph had Ben set up for us. I see that you noticed it Simone. Very cool isn't it?
Yeah, so cool! I love it! 8)
skftex wrote:
Have fun in London, think of me while I'm taking my finals next week ok? :x
Thank you so much! ...and of course I will! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Congrats on your results so far! How great! :)
Sinkwriter72 wrote: I didn't notice the new 'levels'! I read Simone's comment about being a Conspiracy Theorist, but had no idea to what she was referring. :lol:
Sherry, so my post must be very funny to read at first while wondering what I mean with it! :lol:

Looking forward to London! I'm so excited to see David! :romance-heartstiny: Really hope to met him at the stage door to get my programme signed! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

My friend is a bit concerned that I would be sad the whole days after it, if I didn't get it signed, but I told her not to worry about it! It is so great to see him live on stage and then maybe at the stage door in person! Even if I didn't get it signed I will be so happy! ...and I have another chance in January for it!

Gonna pack my bag now!
See you!

Simone.
word count: 229

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh, Simone! You're off to London! :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: That is so exciting. I would love to visit there!

Come back and tell us all about your trip, won't you? I'd love to hear about it. And of course... especially about how the play is and what you think of the modern interpretation (I've heard they chose for their version of Hamlet), and what you think of David Tennant's performance! And Patrick Stewart -- I can't forget about him! Lovely!

I'm sure the experience of seeing those wonderful actors perform will be wonderful. And if you get the opportunity to get them to sign your program... a fun bonus. :D No matter what, travel safely and have a FANTASTIC time!

P.S. Should you get the opportunity (and even remember, haha), tell David he's my favorite 'Doctor' and I can't wait to see what he does next in his career. ;)
word count: 154
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh