What do you think of TJ's new look?

General TJ stuff
blue_eyes
Fan

What do you think of TJ's new look?

Post by blue_eyes »

At first i thought it wasn't nice that was until i saw this pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qfemale/1075449835/
i nearly melted when i saw this. hot hot hot :) :)
word count: 32
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I liked it anyway but I felt it was a pretty thick icing on the cake when I saw this yesterday!!
word count: 21

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

I miss the curls :( but I have to say that this man can pull almost any look off. And that promo shot ... *fans self* ... not to sound like Paris Hilton, but ... that's HOT! Wow. It sure appears as though they're sexing Hodgins up for the coming season (or at least TJ!). Bring it on!
word count: 56

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Well, if the few pictures I've seen are any indication, TJ looks very different, but very handsome too. I can live with the short hair, but I want the curls back! TJ's best look--IMHO--was early first season, when the hair was really long. I also want to see more tee-shirts and less layering of his wardrobe on the series. Stop hiding the physique!
word count: 68
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

begolden wrote:Well, if the few pictures I've seen are any indication, TJ looks very different, but very handsome too. I can live with the short hair, but I want the curls back! TJ's best look--IMHO--was early first season, when the hair was really long. I also want to see more tee-shirts and less layering of his wardrobe on the series. Stop hiding the physique!
Yes, what is with that layering? I'm fed up with the lab coats too. Someone reveal the truth underneath!
word count: 90

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Lol, I think with the layering they're really trying to make him out to be the small, slim "geek" that he's supossed to be and don't want him looking all buffed up...that's why is clothes are always pretty baggy as well. After all, can't have him showing DB up now can we ;) lol.

As well as his clothes I'm also pretty fussy about how they use camera angles too with the various characters, but I think that's just my film studies always kicking in lol.

On another note I have to admit that, I feel so far behind on the posting with you guys lol, not to mention like a complete newbie o_0.
word count: 122
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Wil. Don't think of it as a competition. Rebecca and I are teachers and inveterate natterers. We are also joint spam-loathers and have been trying to get rid of offending material by bumping up the threads as often as possible. Please, please, do not treat it as a takeover! Next week she'll be back at work, I've still got a day in London and a few days' holiday in Wales to come in the next fortnight, and in September I will have nothing like this amount of time, so hopefully things will then even out.

Do they really think we are not going to (eagerly) notice body development? Btw I'd like to hear more about this camera angles thing. With hubby being a drama teacher I am interested in the most effective means of visual presentation. What do you think works best?
word count: 147

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

First of all I don't see it as competition lol, it's just feels a bit weird considering that you all seem to know quite alot about each other already due to the fact that the majority of you are from another forum, but that's all part of the fun of it right?? lol plus I think i'm out of practise at posting on forums what with me spending the majority of my life over on LJ.

Secondly I can't blame you for wanting to get rid of the spam it is seriously annoying and i'm hoping that begolden's new Baby Mod status *applauds* will help us sort all of this out now.

Right, with the camera angles it's really quite interesting, especially where TJ is concerned cause they can tell you quite a big deal on how the director wants his character to be portrayed. Erm....to of the most obvious instances are Jack/Angela and Jack/Booth, cause we all know that Micheala is at least an inch if not more (especially with heels) taller than TJ and so whenever they're in the same scene and standing rather close to one another the camera will always be low angled (even if very slightly) in an attempt to take away the focus of the height difference between then and to give the impression that they're the same height and therefore at the same level within the heirarchy, this is also the reason why Michaela is 99.9% of the time sitting down whenever the two of them kiss, and why I knew early on that there first kiss would be with Angela sitting down lol.

On the other hand though whenever TJ is in a scene with Booth the camera will always be at a level angle or in the more common instance over DB shoulder and as a down angled shot on TJ as this emphasises DB's height, making him appear more powerful, strong and therefore more dominant than Jack.

They also use the up-angled shot whenever TJ is standing next to Eric as well, also to make them appear closer the the same height as well as preventing anybody thinking that Zach is anymore better/powerful/dominant than Jack. Does that make sense?? Lmao you've released the inner film nerd in me now, we're all doomed *snort*.
word count: 403
Wil xxx

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

That is so interesting! What else have you noticed? You have given me another reason to go back and watch. Now that I know something about camera angles, I want to know about light and colour and clothes and location! And everything. Whew.
word count: 43

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

ThyneAlone wrote:That is so interesting! What else have you noticed? You have given me another reason to go back and watch. Now that I know something about camera angles, I want to know about light and colour and clothes and location! And everything. Whew.
Lol for a second there I was worried I might have bored you to death ;) *snort*. Erm lighting and tints really depend on the specific scenes but at the moment I can't think of anything particular that sticks out in my mind, that's worth mentioning. Clothing as we've already mentioned briefly is pretty obvious, if you look carefully you'll notice that during most of her scenes with TJ, Michaela will be wearing flat shoes again to aid the difference in height. Then the layering with TJ is as I've mentioned trying to make him look a lot smaller and less buff than he actually is, it's also the same with Eric's lab coat where as both Emily's and Michaela's lab coats are fitted. DB's suits will also be really fitted and made to make him look like the hot-shot FBI agent he's meant to be. You'll also noticed that Tamara's outfits are also very masculin, trousers, T-shirts, suits, hair tied up etc etc to make her appear the boss and a very independent woman, especially compared to Angela's whose free-spiritedness is represented by her flowing clothes and hair.
word count: 250
Wil xxx

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Wow! I missed out on a really good conversation here! I kind of wish I were a teacher, so I'd have the summer off as well. Going to work every single day kind of bums you out after a while. It's a darn good thing I relatively enjoy my job (and most of my coworkers!).

Yes, the layering of the clothing. Argh! That is frustrating. Especially considering that in the 1st season Xmas episode (Man in the Fallout Shelter, or MitFS), the writers gave us a "topless" Hodgins scene. How could they do that, knowing that we'd see what he has under all of those clothes, and then expect us to not ask for more?

I have to admit, though, I love the hoodies. There is just something about TJ in a hoodie that gets my blood flowing! However, having said that, I also wouldn't be too upset with some t-shirts, or maybe something Spandex. ;)

Wil, very, very interesting conversation up there! All the lighting and staging info is really cool. I had no idea. I guess most people don't really realize how much work/time/effort/thought goes into a 44 minute program. I had the good fortune of being an extra for a movie about a year ago, and just one scene took us almost the entire day. The movie has yet to air, but I'm sure when it does that scene will end up being about 2 min long!

Good point about the height thing. I personally think TJ is adorable, and am happy he's a man of "shorter stature" (because you know what they say about that. :D But yes, Michaela is model-tall, which doesn't help when the other female leads are tall as well (at least I know Emily's pretty tall). Interesting about the angles they can be shot at, and it actually working at making the two actors in a scene appear to be more leveled.
word count: 332

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Spandex! Now there's a thought. Not really the Jack image though, is it? I'm going to have another look at some of those demo reels and view the clothes and camera work in those!
KimberHodgela wrote:(because you know what they say about that).
Better leverage? :twisted:
word count: 48

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

KimberHodgela wrote:I have to admit, though, I love the hoodies. There is just something about TJ in a hoodie that gets my blood flowing! However, having said that, I also wouldn't be too upset with some t-shirts, or maybe something Spandex. ;)
First of all, I’m soooo glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that last bit rotflmfao. Personally I'm more of a t-shirts and jeans fan myself, like when he gives the rose to Angela at the end of The Boy in the Shroud and then in The Man in the Mansion when he hands in his notice *swoon*, but whatever clothes we prefer, I don't think any of us will forget the first time we saw the towel scene lol. It's a keeper.
KimberHodgela wrote:Wil, very, very interesting conversation up there! All the lighting and staging info is really cool. I had no idea. I guess most people don't really realize how much work/time/effort/thought goes into a 44 minute program. I had the good fortune of being an extra for a movie about a year ago, and just one scene took us almost the entire day. The movie has yet to air, but I'm sure when it does that scene will end up being about 2 min long!
Oooh are we allowed to ask what film it was?? Yeah I don't think you actually notice those sort of things (lighting/camera angles/imagery/shadows/make-up/costume) until they've been pointed out to you or you’ve been told to specifically look at it lol. Once you do though they'll always be on the periphery of your mind, so don't you all get blaming me if that’s what you keep noticing from now on *snort*. I know I've been like that ever since I started doing film studies and to be honest I think it drives my mom crazy when I'm always going on about it lol, (Phallic imagery is one of my favourite topics of discussion whilst watching films *snort* - which is also relevant to Bones btw) but then again I am the girl who had to write a 2500 word essay on the first 5 minutes of the film Sixth Sense so I think I can be forgiven *grin*.
KimberHodgela wrote:Good point about the height thing. I personally think TJ is adorable, and am happy he's a man of "shorter stature" (because you know what they say about that. :D But yes, Michaela is model-tall, which doesn't help when the other female leads are tall as well (at least I know Emily's pretty tall). Interesting about the angles they can be shot at, and it actually working at making the two actors in a scene appear to be more leveled.
Yeah according to IMDB Michaela's 5'8", Emily's 5'9", Tamara’s a bit shorter at 5’6”½ (lucky girls) and then you’ve got both David and Eric who must both be in the 6’0” area and then TJ at 5’7”, so it’s no surprise that a little tweaking of camera angles is needed here and there especially, when thinking about it Tamara always comes across as being the same height at MC and ED, but then that could be due to a very nice pair of heels of course.

Lol, I think we’re in need of a Bones general thread, especially with the way I keep nattering on about it here there and everywhere.
word count: 602
Wil xxx

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

willowwood wrote:First of all, I’m soooo glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that last bit rotflmfao. Personally I'm more of a t-shirts and jeans fan myself, like when he gives the rose to Angela at the end of The Boy in the Shroud and then in The Man in the Mansion when he hands in his notice *swoon*, but whatever clothes we prefer, I don't think any of us will forget the first time we saw the towel scene lol. It's a keeper.
Oh, jeans and a tee ... yes, yes, YES! That scene from Boy in the Shroud, OMG. The look, the eyes, the clothes! Okay, THAT is one of my fave outfits for SURE! (Along with that towel scene...)
willowwood wrote:Oooh are we allowed to ask what film it was??
It was just a made for TV movie, called Elijah. It's based on a true political tale that occured here in my province. I'm sure it will air at some point (IMDb says 2008), and it was just fun to be there. It was also a "period piece", so the clothes were fun and it was neat getting all made up and having my hair styled! I also had a very close call for the movie Capote (that won some Oscars). It was shot here, too, and I was actually called in to be an extra for a few scenes, but I didn't realize they called numerous people, and then took the first few that returned calls - so by the time I got the time off with work, they had their fill for women my age. :( I was bummed about that, especially when the movie went on to do really, really well!
willowwood wrote:according to IMDB Michaela's 5'8", Emily's 5'9", Tamara’s a bit shorter at 5’6”½ (lucky girls) and then you’ve got both David and Eric who must both be in the 6’0” area and then TJ at 5’7”, so it’s no surprise that a little tweaking of camera angles is needed here and there especially, when thinking about it Tamara always comes across as being the same height at MC and ED, but then that could be due to a very nice pair of heels of course.
Yeah, it's almost too bad that men can't (won't) wear heels. It could give them some height on screen! Or they could have props down below, too. I remember my friend (who is a huge X-Phile) telling me that in some scenes, Gillian Anderson would stand on a box, because she was so much shorter than David Duchovny! Maybe TJ needs a box?? ;)
willowwood wrote:Lol, I think we’re in need of a Bones general thread, especially with the way I keep nattering on about it here there and everywhere.

Great idea! Why don't you start one, Wil?
word count: 497

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I don't think TJ is too short--I think all the women on the show (except for Tamara) are unusually tall. I'm 5'6, and have always considered myself quite average, if not a little above average in height. At 5'7, TJ would be taller than myself, and I wouldn't stand next to him in real life and think of him as short. I'd say the majority of men are under 6 feet tall, just by what I see walking around the beach in the middle of the summer when we get crowds from all over the country--and world. If a man feels the need to augment his height, that shows a lack of confidence in himself, and then he will seem like a smaller person, because he's betrayed that insecurity. So please, no high heels!
word count: 143

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

begolden wrote:I don't think TJ is too short-- I'm 5'6, and have always considered myself quite average, if not a little above average in height. At 5'7, TJ would be taller than myself, and I wouldn't stand next to him in real life and think of him as short.
Ah, but then if you stood next to him you probably wouldn't stay upright, so it wouldn't be a fair experiment. I am a mere 5'3" and so forever trying to keep weight off - it shows far too readily when you are small! I think TJ would be just the right height for me - even in high heels (that's me, not him..)!
word count: 121

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:
begolden wrote:I don't think TJ is too short-- I'm 5'6, and have always considered myself quite average, if not a little above average in height. At 5'7, TJ would be taller than myself, and I wouldn't stand next to him in real life and think of him as short.
Ah, but then if you stood next to him you probably wouldn't stay upright, so it wouldn't be a fair experiment. I am a mere 5'3" and so forever trying to keep weight off - it shows far too readily when you are small! I think TJ would be just the right height for me - even in high heels (that's me, not him..)!
LOL to this, Steph! But so true. How many of us would stay upright, if given the chance to stand beside TJ? ;)

I'm 5'3 1/2" (and make sure to get that 1/2 in! I was so angry that for my license, they couldn't use halves!), so you and I are about the same height.

And I agree, the Bones girls seem to be unusually tall, especially Emily! In the finale last year, she towered over everyone else at the wedding - especially in those heels!
word count: 212

saburcat
Fan

Post by saburcat »

I'd be forever doing the "quote" thing if I tried responding to everything I've seen on this thread, so I'm just going to through my thoughts out there...

As to camera angles, I took some film classes in college and always liked being able to look at a filmed piece and see more than what was being acted. Camera angles and framing were two of my faves.

I didn't notice TJ all that much until the Xmas scene with no shirt. Damn near fell off my sofa at that one. But now, I can't get past his eyes. They are just SO blue.

I looked up heights awhile ago, because I lumber in at 5'7" and although it does seem to be average, I hate being taller that other people. I feel like a giant. We had an intern here in the Spring that was 4 feet if she was lucky (OK, maybe I'm making that up a little...but she was TINY!). I felt like an ogre everytime I had to work with her. I was taller than her when I was sitting down (OK, another exaggeration). So I'm happy with TJs height. I'm sure he'll sleep better tonight knowing that. :lol:

Weez
word count: 213
Imagination is more important than knowledge ~Einstein
But without knowledge, what kind of imagination will you have? ~me

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

saburcat wrote:I didn't notice TJ all that much until the Xmas scene with no shirt. Damn near fell off my sofa at that one. But now, I can't get past his eyes. They are just SO blue. Weez
Ah yes, the decontamination shower scene... He must know that this is a fan favorite, right? But besides that scene, I love the one in the morning when they are standing around the breakfast cart. TJ is dressed in slightly baggy jeans and a dark green teeshirt. I LOVED that look...
word count: 92

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

begolden wrote:
saburcat wrote:I didn't notice TJ all that much until the Xmas scene with no shirt. Damn near fell off my sofa at that one. But now, I can't get past his eyes. They are just SO blue. Weez
Ah yes, the decontamination shower scene... He must know that this is a fan favorite, right? But besides that scene, I love the one in the morning when they are standing around the breakfast cart. TJ is dressed in slightly baggy jeans and a dark green teeshirt. I LOVED that look...
Ah, yes. Both great scenes! I would think that TJ must realize the shower scene/towel scene is a great one, and a fan favourite. From what I've gathered, a lot of fans started out with that scene, such as yourself, Weez. They saw Jack shirtless and went "whoa, Hodgins!", and that was it! :) I also love a good "jeans and a shirt" scene as well.
word count: 161