Bones 2.19/3.11 Player Under Pressure

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones 2.19/3.11 Player Under Pressure

Post by begolden »

As most of us know, episode 19 from season two, "Player Under Pressure," was taken off the schedule last April due to the shooting at Virginia Tech. Instead of showing the episode intact later in the season, or including it on the season two DVD, TPTB decided to "rework" the episode and will broadcast it during season three. As fans of TJ, as well as fans of the Jack and Angela storyline, many of us are sorely disappointed that critical scenes (as well as very funny ones, we hear) are to be cut. There has been some mention of the possibility that these deleted scenes might show up on a DVD as extra features at some point in time, but I think we need to raise a clamor to make sure that TPTB know that we want to see them! Besides making our wishes known on this website, does anyone else have any ideas how we might get the attention of those in charge?
word count: 164
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

Just like to support your comments R.We have been sorely disappointed at this whole scenario. There appears to have been conflict of information from the beginning.Whilst we can understand the episode being pulled as a mark of respect,we were then given to understand the episode would be on series 2 DVD.Now it transpires this is inaccurate,and the episode will be re-worked,so with respect it CAN'T be PUP can it,as the J/A storyline has moved on way past this point in their relationship.I know many of us are very unhappy with this situation and we have definitely been deprived of an enjoyable viewing experience.I feel we do need to express our opinions to the powers-that-be.
word count: 128

saburcat
Fan

Post by saburcat »

Yes, I think they should at least include the scenes as an extra in a future DVD release. Isn't it odd how things like this work? One week earlier on the schedule and we wouldn't have had a problem (although then some would have said it led to what happened). Not to belittle a huge tragedy. I remember a movie I had been waiting to see for MONTHS being delayed after 9/11, and I was so mad at the terrorists I wanted to go after them myself. Happened with CSI Miami too, although I think they were running it as a rerun--the tsunami episode after the real tsunami hit. But, sad as it is, art does imitate life.

Weez
word count: 123
Imagination is more important than knowledge ~Einstein
But without knowledge, what kind of imagination will you have? ~me

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

People will argue, and have argued, forever as to whether material of this kind should be taken off the schedules at times of tragedy. After all, the media coverage is far more distressing. My feelings about it are ambivalent, but I did accept the decision to pull the episode. However, I feel we have been shabbily treated. It was implied, variously:[1] the episode would be shown out of order but reasonably logically [2] it would be shown at the end of the season [3] it would be on the S2 DVD in full but out of order [4] it would be shown at the start of S3 [5] it would be shown mid-season 3 but 'reworked' and that MAYBE we'd get some of the lost material on the S3 DVD. This shows the fans scant respect, undermines our trust in any statements made about the show and means that even if we see the considerable work the actors must have put in, it will not be for a very long time. Not impressed, not impressed.
word count: 178

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

ThyneAlone wrote:People will argue, and have argued, forever as to whether material of this kind should be taken off the schedules at times of tragedy. After all, the media coverage is far more distressing. My feelings about it are ambivalent, but I did accept the decision to pull the episode. However, I feel we have been shabbily treated. It was implied, variously:[1] the episode would be shown out of order but reasonably logically [2] it would be shown at the end of the season [3] it would be on the S2 DVD in full but out of order [4] it would be shown at the start of S3 [5] it would be shown mid-season 3 but 'reworked' and that MAYBE we'd get some of the lost material on the S3 DVD. This shows the fans scant respect, undermines our trust in any statements made about the show and means that even if we see the considerable work the actors must have put in, it will not be for a very long time. Not impressed, not impressed.
Yes, it has become quite ridiculous! If they wait any longer, another college related tragedy is bound to occur and they'll have to rework it once more and put it off until the fourth season. It is ironic, considering FOX news here in the U.S. is one of the worst as far as sensationalizing tragedy for the sake of ratings...
word count: 242

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

begolden wrote:Yes, it has become quite ridiculous! If they wait any longer, another college related tragedy is bound to occur and they'll have to rework it once more and put it off until the fourth season. It is ironic, considering FOX news here in the U.S. is one of the worst as far as sensationalizing tragedy for the sake of ratings...
I agree! I'm 100% in agreement of having the "deleted scenes" from the original Player Under Pressure put onto a DVD extra at some point! However, at the rate Fox seems to be going, we may have to wait another season or two! We have to get the episode out first, and at this point, we're being promised the episode next season - I'm hearing around Xmas some time, or as early as September. Who knows?

I'm with you on the fact that Fox, although they stated the episode was removed for all the right reasons, then went and showed non-stop footage of the shootings, the aftermath, and other violent programming. So ... to me, there was no reason to remove the Bones episode for containing *some* fictional violence, and then turn around and sensationalize the tragedy that actually occurred. Grr, Fox.
word count: 209

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

More recent murders of college students--but not at the college itself, however. You can't stop telling stories just because some fool out there likes to make them happen for real. Life and art have been imitating each other since humans first acquired language...
word count: 45

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

begolden wrote:More recent murders of college students--but not at the college itself, however. You can't stop telling stories just because some fool out there likes to make them happen for real. Life and art have been imitating each other since humans first acquired language...
Very well spoken, Rebecca. I agree completely. What happened was a tragedy, but airing a television program with an episode that is "similar" to the real life events (and I use "similar" loosely, as the episode itself was about murder on a college campus, not a massacre shooting) is not the way to deal with that. Also, in addition to pulling every single episode that told of any school violence, most channels (Fox included) were showing round-the-clock coverage of the events, almost sensationalizing them. Now, I don't know about anyone else - but if I were a victim, or the family of a victim, I'd rather see a fictional storyline, than see the actual event shown over and over and over again.
word count: 172

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

...which is precisely what I said about it. And the Buffy ones too.
word count: 13

sapphiresilt
Fan

Post by sapphiresilt »

I just found out that the Season 2 DVD will be released in the U.S. on September 11. Isn't it ironic that a program that was so conscious of not airing an episode out of respect for a tragedy would choose a DVD release date on the exact date of the biggest U.S. tragedy in our lifetimes?
word count: 60

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

omg :roll: Ironic beyond even thought...
word count: 5

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

While I can't wait for the S2 DVDs to come out (and will buy them right away, as Sept 11th is my 1 year anniversary at work - so I've decided to "treat myself" to the DVDs...) - I, too, thought it was odd to have them come out on Sept 11th. I mean, I thought that day was pretty much sacred to the Americans, being "THE" September eleventh and all. :roll: Just more irony on Fox's part....[/quote]
word count: 79
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I haven't seen 3.02 yet, but have been reading up about it in other forums, and someone made a very valid point; in the first 2 eps we have seen so much character development and very obvious appearance changes, how on earth is PUP going to fit in? This is not going to be gentle tweaking, it is going to be a complete butchering, clearly removing every bit of Hodgela - proposal - Jack's old look - the lot. They might even have to reshoot most of it!

If they're going to put the original on DVD as a S3 extra it will be worth waiting for because it will have to stand alone; there's no canon it will fit into now!
word count: 124

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Deleted Scenes From "Player Under Pressure"

Post by skftex »

And sadly according to Ausiello, all the Hodgkins/Angela stuff has been deleted. :evil: :(

http://www.spoilerfix.com/bones.php

I was hoping they'd somehow use it in flashback or something, but apparently not. So now I hope that the idea to add it to a S3 DVD makes it to FOX.
word count: 52
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

This is what I was pretty sure was going to happen eventually, so I wasn't really astonished when the news appeared, though annoyed, obviously. Deep down I always felt that we wouldn't view this footage except as a DVD extra (I wouldn't mind having the original script made somehow available though). I'd originally have wanted them to replace some of the missing material with some proper Hodgela. But I can't see the latter happening. Given the strike and all, how could new lines have even emerged? Are we really going to have an ep completely minus Jack and Angela? It's beyond butchery.

So who actually called this wholesale messing around 'tweaking'?
word count: 117
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I read about that ... it makes me sad. I was really looking forward to seeing those 'lost' scenes.

I hope they put the Jack and Angela parts from that episode on the next DVD set as 'deleted scenes' -- they certainly fit the bill.
word count: 43

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, this is as confusing as a really enigmatic and ambivalent character living in Riddletown in the province of Puzzlonia and with a webaddress of stumped .com.
http://spoilerfix.com/bones.php
Just scroll down to the notes on PUP.
They're going to screen it as a rerun although it hasn't actually ever made the screen? So what happens to the Hodgela scenes, are they in or out?
:? :? :?
word count: 70

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

How do they screen it as a rerun? Tell everyone watching, hey you've seen this before through subliminal messaging? Weird. Though I prefer that they DO leave the Angela/Hodgins scenes...so I'll be perfectly happy for them to show it the way it was originally made. :mrgreen:

Sharon
word count: 50
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

New interesting angle on the LJ spoiler site.
http://community.livejournal.com/bones_spoilers/
The latest post here is about PUP. It's apparently just been shown in Spain in its original form! A viewer has kindly given a description. Now I wonder if anyone recorded it..
word count: 47

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Well it's good to know that the Hodgins proposal scene survived the Spanish broadcast. So if they do show it here as a first run rerun it will no doubt be just as intact. So.... hurrah! Something to look forward to!
word count: 42