Bones 4.19 The Science in the Physicist

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ForensicMama
Fan

Bones 4.19 The Science in the Physicist

Post by ForensicMama »

Surprised there wasn't a topic for this yet.

What do you guys think of the episode? :dance: Loved the tattoo! hehehe
word count: 21
Blogger, Temptress, & Miss America All In One Compact Little Package
http://bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

Lorenith
Fan

Re: Bones 4.19 The Science in the Physicist

Post by Lorenith »

Most of us can't watch the episode on the night it airs is why :P

I just watched it, pretty funny episode.

I spent a lot of it trying to figure out why Booth seemed so...irritable at the beginning.

Also really liked the little bit with Bones and Hodgins was nice, they don't get to interact with each other very much but when they do it's always really nice! (And the end, both with Hodgins and the rest of the crew).

I kind of wonder how he's going to get home before he starves or dehydrates, Angellas dad said he wouldn't kill him though so I guess somehow he'll get home. It would be nice to see explained but it seems likely it won't be because they're not willing to take that much focus of Booth and Brennan.
word count: 146

ForensicMama
Fan

Post by ForensicMama »

Makes sense. I noticed there were a lot of UK fans! :D

I loved all of the experiments. I love experiment-mode-Hodgins. He's such a GUY. That's what I love about him. He reminds me of my husband too much. haha Then again, Booth reminds of my husband, too... but that would be... the part of Booth that says a carrot is a carrot is definitely my husband. The part of Hodgins that wants to blow stuff up just to see what happens... yeah, I think there's a little of that in every guy. xD Great experiments! Loved it! I hope there's more lab stuff like that on upcoming episodes. I wished there was more Cam. Loved how she was playing Mom to everyone (You're grounded!). haha

I'm sure they won't pursue how Hodgins got home, but they might mention it in passing next season... "Like that time where your dad jumped me and left me in the desert to die... P.S. driving across the country in a '54 Ford squished between a guy named Tiny and a woman named Bertha? Not as fun as it sounds." xD

~Mama
word count: 197
Blogger, Temptress, & Miss America All In One Compact Little Package
http://bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

I really, really loved this episode, it kinda reminded me of the good old days with Bones really quirky and funny.

I was eating while watching and I swear I nearly choked during the turkey scene that was just hysterical. I think the interaction between Hodgins and Nigel-Murray is brill and the whole naughty schoolboy thing reminds me of the Zach days.

There were so many amusing lines in this episode its hard to pick a couple but I loved it when the guy told B&B to recover a bit before conversing 'cos he didn't want to be deaf as well as blind and I liked Brennan digging herself deeper into a hole when she called Booth stupid until she finally redeemed the situation.

Of course I loved the ending Jack's face was an absolute picture!

I would like to say one thing to the writers though why does everyone with a high IQ have to be weird or inadequate with people, I'm in Mensa and am pretty normal and very much a people person, or at least I think I am!!!!

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 194

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Not everyone is weird or inadequate with people who has a high IQ :P. Hodgins and Cam are both pretty normal, and seem to do fine with people.

The show has shown plenty of not "high IQ" (suspects) that might have some crazy quirks or not be very people persony. I think the way Bones always analyzing things kind of made this episode look like all those grad students and stuff were just like her.

That kind of reminds me of a nitpick I had.

IQ does not equate to intelligence, it's ones ability to reason and learn, and the tests are at times woefully inaccurate.
word count: 106

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Ok that's me told then, I was just kinda saying what I thought about the programme, which incidently is what I thought this part of the forum was all about but for the first time on this site I feel like that response was kinda personal which is a shame.

Just for the record I never once said that intelligence was all about IQ because its quite obviously not. There are all sorts of intelligence, from reasoning and intellect to sporting prowess and emotional intelligence. Anway I'm gonna stop now I'll just have to think twice about posting in future.

Jude x
word count: 105

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

I wasn't making a personal attack, I was nitpicking the tv show, which on numerous occasions references IQ as a measure of intelligence, that has nothing to do with you. Most notably in this episode the physicist that sent 100+ death threats to the victim with his "I have a 162 IQ I am smart blah b lah blah!"

The other part was me saying there's plenty of people on the show that are weird or not good with people that are average or bellow average intelligence. I think Brennan kind of skews the viewers look on other characters though because she always assumes the people in some job associated with intelligence are acting on a completely and totally rational level (well I guess rational within her crazy little world, some of her rationale is extremely irrational if you ask me).

I don't really see anything personal here, beyond "oh really? I kind of thought this" Having a different perspective on something isn't a personal, how can it even be personal when I don't know even know you?
word count: 183

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

oooooh, I do so hate it when there are misunderstandings and people get hurt. :( It's just to do with the ways we express ourselves. I have a few salutary online experiences myself when I have been upset by something unintentional, most recently by a good friend I know personally who only lives round the corner!

Please please could I implore you both not to think about visiting less often? The boards would be much poorer for it. Jude, Lore really was referencing the show and not trying to put you down when she commented about IQ; and Lore, I think that perhaps your different perspective might have made the word 'nitpick' sound personal rather than general.

But you see, look at all the relevant insights your comments have given us. There are all kinds of different intelligences possessed by people in different measure. It is a common mistake to conceive of only one type (the show, and particularly in an episode which concerns itself profoundly with the concept of intelligence, does tend to use the shorthand 'IQ' - not strictly accurate - to refer to it). Bones shows that certain types of mental acuity can be divorced from social intelligence (and vice versa), but also that this is not always the case. However, since Brennan is the driving force of the show and we are seeing her in this ep among those of similar mindsets, maybe we do begin to feel that lab-smarts isolate the individual from normal social awareness, especially as a lot of the work is conducted alone or in rarefied surroundings.

I find all this really interesting and it's great to have you here to discuss it and enrich the threads. Please do continue to do so!

word count: 291
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Steph/Lore

I did genuinely think that the 'nitpick' bit on Lore's post was personal rather than about the show 'cos I didn't realise the show was still being referenced. It kinda felt like Lore was saying that people with a supposedly high IQ liked to think they were smart and I took that a bit personally. Ironically I don't think that, I am smart sometimes (like everyone) but other times I'm really, really not, apparently misreading the content of forum postings is one of those times! There have been many others, mistaking a mini bar for a safe is one but that's another story!

Anyway enough said lets just draw a line under this misunderstanding if that's ok by Lore. Its too much fun on this site to let anything spoil it.

Jude x
word count: 142

Sandy
Fan

Post by Sandy »

haha i loved so much the episode!! was so really funny!!

the best parts are whe the experiments moments with Hodgins!! with the Turkey!! hahaha i laughed so much!! and when he was in the desert alone with Angela tatto!!! :lol:

:dance: :clap:
word count: 40

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

The only way I could watch this one, as so many of the sites I use are starting to put time limits on their viewings, was cut up into the proverbial chilli con carne on Youtube. So I haven't really got a coherent idea of the plot, but it seemed rather a complicated way to go about killing and disposing of someone, attempting the slow engendering of a tumour but getting impatient and trying a more traditional method, then creating a sort of body and bone stew. Don't know if the motive was convincing enough to cause something so unpleasant and clearly premeditated. However, as a study of different intelligences, as I said earlier in this thread, and also for pure joyous comedy, this ep gave value for money.

I liked the way that it looked at ideas about intellect, some of them pretty baseless, and overturned them. Some of the scientists were very superior and proud of their 'rational' way of dealing with relationships, but turned out to be very much lacking in social intelligence, and so in the end all fell victim to the jealousies and faults that freckle every human soul. I thought that there were a lot of interesting points made about the way we think about ourselves and our liaisons with others. I like that Brennan has got to a point where she can acknowledge Booth's superiority to her in some areas, and that he no longer feels inferior to her.

Though I was, once more, of the mind that someone was being introduced just for the sake of it, it was excellent to see Billy Gibbons again. I don't think it was necessary to make him into a furtive and threatening presence, though; his natural persona is sufficiently menacing! Instead of having him simply 'turn up', instinctively aware that Angela had been upset, it would have been nice to see more father-daughter interaction to explain his anger and protectiveness. I would have loved to see the process of getting Hodgins tattooed and out into the desert too. TJ really did make that hilarious. And, like everyone else, I am just cheering for those Vincent/Jack moments where they turn into enthusiastic little boys keen to make lots of smoke and a big bang. They do it so well and with such mischief and delight.
word count: 395

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

You know, though I loved the scenes with Hodgins and Vincent in this episode-it does make me wonder about the way they got rid of Zack and the Hart Hanson explanation of it-saying there was no where else to go with the character. Well-if they keep one of these strange interns, are they really going to explore that character? Probably not. And Zack at least we had an interest in beyond the oddness. Which leads me to the fact that this latest Vincent/Hodgins scene was very much a Zack/Hodgins scene with a stand in. So...what gives?? I do know Zack is gonna be back for at least one episode but why can't he be back for good? It's not like they are really going to invest much time in telling the stories of anyone other than Booth/Brennan-though there have been some glimmers of hope with the recent stuff with Angela/Hodgins and the Cam back story.
word count: 166
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

It does seem that at least the show is getting a little more balanced lately.

For a while there we were seriously pulling away from everyone but Booth and Brennan, but now it's starting to give us moments with the others again.

Oh, and for those people that don't like Sweets muscling in on the interrogation room, this time around it was handled differently than usual turning that area back into Booths domain.
word count: 75

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi all, just in the middle of my self-indulgent morning coffee and jam doughnut. So if there are typos that's an attempt to avoid smearing sugar on the keys. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Literally.

Lore, I do think you are right about episode focus. As is Sharon on the re-creation of the Zack moments. I've enjoyed this show so much better over the last few eps that have shown us the team, as the programme used to, and not just Booth and Brennan. Very promising. Jammy fingers crossed for the rest of the season. On the other hand, you are also right that finally Sweets seems to be finding a niche because they aren't using him to do everyone else's jobs, though I fear this may be too late, given the imminent return of Gordon Gordon and Stephen Fry's effortless portrayal of seeming bumbling English eccentricity hiding some scarily sharp perceptions. Nevertheless, Booth has thereby regained some credibility and I am really pleased about that.

As for Zack - yes, well, I hated that storyline and the show has not been the same since. Not so much because Eric has left a hole, though of course he has; but because it was not a realistic, in-character way to dispose of him and hence somewhat sours the memory..
word count: 231

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Wonderful comments made by all!

I think Vincent might be my favorite of the Zach-replacements, although Nigel is also in the running (which by no means suggests that I wouldn't rather have Zach back!). The scenes between Jack and Vincent did, as mentioned, remind me of the good old days of season one and two.

I was rather disappointed in how they handled the Angela's dad plot line. Quite contrived to have him threatening Jack when the break up was basically all Angela's fault. However, I have to admit that I found the tattoo scene pretty funny. I'm hoping it's a foreshadowing that they will get back together at some point.
word count: 117
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

So I was flipping channels and happened upon this fabulous episode. I sometimes forget just how much I love some of the earlier episodes.

First, I love Hodgins and Vincent together! The back and forth banter between them seems so natural and effortless, they definitely work well together. Their experiment/explosion was classic and it’s hilarious how they were punished by Cam and told that they weren’t allowed to be alone together without supervision. Tsk, tsk, naughty boys! LOL (it reminded me a lot of the Hodgins/Zack experiments) I especially enjoyed Vincent’s behavior when they were caught; talking quietly and looking abashed by looking down at the floor. Also, I miss Vincent’s random tidbits of knowledge. Ancient Samarians sprinkling gold dust over bodies, pearls used in funeral rites, insect legs in chocolate bars, the blues being the devil’s music, pencil lead not being lead at all, etc. I never learn more than when Vincent is on an episode. Miss him. :(

On a happier note, not only was there one great experiment, but two! I will always remember the dropping of the frozen turkey and poor Angela being knocked down by it!! Thankfully, it was only a “glancing blow”. LOL

Second, I always look forward to Billy Gibbons’ character being on the show. His relationship with Hodgins is very entertaining to me. Hodgins is genuinely scared of him even though he won’t admit it. I wish Billy was written into more episodes, but I know he’s probably busy with other things most of the time. Poor, poor Hodgins! But I guess it could’ve been worse than waking up in the desert with a new tattoo on your arm of the woman you love. LOL! I’m just curious how he got home…. :eusa-think:

Next, I know the scene with Booth and Brennan in the chamber was supposed to be serious because they were almost killed, but their high pitched squealing was very funny! I had to rewind and watch that scene several times because their facial expressions and the sounds they were making definitely made me laugh out loud, as well as their yelling session afterwards. Great stuff!

Lastly, what’s with Sweets admitting to Hodgins that he secretly had a “thing” for Angela???!!! Awkward! LOL

Some of my favorite quotes:
Vincent: “It’s not uncommon for men to fear their lover’s male parent.” Hodgins: “You know what creeps me out? The way that English people say ‘lova’.” :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
Hodgins: “Up and forward are only two directions, science should look in all directions.”
word count: 430
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell