Bones 4.20 The Cinderella In The Cardboard

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 4.20 The Cinderella In The Cardboard

Post by ThyneAlone »

There were bits of this I did love. It had the Angelator! Happy memories! And it did lots of those lovely mistily coloured dissolves that emphasise the distinctive colours of the various areas of activity - sober, claustrophobic and dark for the interrogation room, light, airy and blue for the lab. I have to check on who is designing the camera angles on these eps, because there have been more imaginative and translucent shots, as we had in S1.

Theme of the day is jealousy, of course. And envy. What Brennan described of her feelings at the end was envy rather than jealousy. Envy is wanting to be like others or have what they have; jealousy is wanting to keep what you have to yourself and not to share it (hence a 'jealously guarded' secret). Intriguing, I thought, that she was wishing to be irrational, probably for the first time in her life; finally, these are emotions of which she sees the sense.

Envy, therefore: Brennan's feelings towards her friends and the killer's feelings towards the guys on his books whom he considered inferior and who yet were preferred over him (sort of Iago). Jealousy, quite definitely Sweets and Meriel's uncomprehending fiancé. Although it sort of took over from the main story as a centre of interest, thus slightly unbalancing the episode, Sweets' subplot was great, revealing a completely different side of him as he crumpled under the awful thought that Daisy might not care for him at all. It was reassuring to see him uncertain and vulnerable, because frankly he has been annoyingly smug at times. Come to think of it, it was quite good to see Brennan uncertain, as she realised that honesty was possibly not the best policy here after all. The scene with Booth and Sweets was an absolute classic; roles completely reversed. Booth was using psychspeak and even had a clipboard on his lap! Daisy, of course, is still supremely irritating and perky, but that spontaneous office sex raised nearly as much of a smile as Jack's and Angela's - I was happy for them!

The humour was achieved this time without putting people out of character (some of the scenes where Booth was trying desperately to prevent Brennan 'spilling' to Sweets were really well done, with a light touch and good timing) or with gratuitous unpleasantness. The pizza references came close, but since what the squints were doing was identical to manoeuvring a pizza it did not seem overly out of place! The scene with Hodgins and the cellphone, where it was revealed that he had signed up for a dating agency, was hilarious. Again TJ did more with his body language than the script ostensibly required (I really must stop looking at his mouth), and his embarrassment and eye contact with Angela was thus very funny. This contrasted gratifyingly well with the poignancy of the 'moving on' scene at the end, where there was a mute question poised in mid-air for a mere few seconds before the 'hate' option was pressed. Oh, btw, that was Jack selecting it, wasn't it? I would hate to think Angela took the rejection initiative AGAIN. If the relationship picks up again I want her to do the chasing.

Jack/Wendell is now starting to resemble an equal friendship, whereas Jack still looks as if he is the tutor with Vincent - on the other hand, the 'fun' in the lab has tended to be with Vincent lately. We still haven't got anything quite like Dr Addy!

Things that gave me pause for thought. How on earth could Angela tell just by looking at a face that it was a composite? It looked real enough to me! Still, I guess she does spend her entire life looking at and reconstructing faces. I wasn't convinced either that Daisy would be quite so excitable, screaming 'it's perfect' and wildly hugging a man to whom she has no attachment, if she was choosing for someone else! Still less believable was that Booth would actually arrive at the recycling place and cross himself in front of the cardboard. I mean, surely the FBI would not have been called out in the first place if foul play and the presence of a body were not suspected? Incidentally and a propos of nothing, I gather that the Turin shroud is being re-evaluated yet again after the discovery of further evidence. So the jury is out on it once more!

OK, looking forward to tonight's ep, though I will have to trawl through lots of dross tomorrow again to find what I need to view! What did the rest of you think??

PS The title, by the way, refers to the unBowdlerised, non-Disneyfied version of the Grimms' fairy tale, which is very gory. It's not strictly Cinderella in the cardboard, because it was the ugly sisters who cut off bits of their feet in order to fit the famous slipper (their mother told them one after the other not to worry, they wouldn't have to walk anywhere once they were Queen), only to be caught out by the blood welling out of the shoe in the carriage on their way to the palace with the prince. As Brennan said, self-mutilation to a definite purpose.
word count: 892
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 4.20 The Cinderella In The Cardboard

Post by skftex »

Steph, it most definitely was Jack pushing the hate button! And while that kind of broke my heart, it was also very much a GOOD JOB JACK moment though, and as always well done by TJ.

I'm still a bit confused about Daisy trying on the dress though-what bride would want someone else to pick out her wedding dress for her that way? Just because it is on sale?? Or did I completely misunderstand why she was trying on the dress? Still absolutely HATE Daisy though.
word count: 88
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

It looked like he was pushing date on his cellphone to me, at least if it works like on a normal cellphone does with buttons and menus and things. I think he's moving on but that doesn't really mean he's forgetting about Angela. I get the distinct feeling that he's not going to fully move on, because he has a point to make and see her understand before he can give up, but once he does and see's whatever the results are if they are negative then he will move on. Maybe that's confusing and contradictory, but I can't figure out how better to say that, but it makes sense in my head! (Edit: Yeah I went insane and stared at it a few times, he's pushing date not hate, the "date" side even pops up before the icon minimizes, it would have to be a pretty backwards GUI to make the date icon pop if he pushed hate, so it'd take someone from the show saying he pushed hate to convince me now! muwahaha)

Anyway, these episodes have been driving my guy insane, he really does not like Brennan always asserting that an intellectual person cannot love, or have a monogamous relationship. It's just part of her character, part of the show is about her growing, and she really is bit by bit. (He kind of feels like the show is saying an intellectual person can't love and such, but...well most of the cast disagrees with her, and I think that's more telling of what the show is trying to say!)

I think Bones was acting a little out of character, she jumped to conclusions awfully fast on the thing with Daisy it seems which is normally something she wouldn't do. Maybe though it's just a sign that she's humanizing a bit, and included in that is jumping to conclusions.

Also, poor Sweets, although I wasn't surprised by his reaction, he was similarly in sad puppy mode for that other girl (the one that liked the fish and ended up breaking up with him).

After that bit with him and Booth my brain was all like "he's stealing Zacks place!" but then I let it pass lol.
word count: 386

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I watched it a few times and I'm pretty sure he pushed hate. Think that was the whole point of the scene-doing that then going inside.
word count: 28
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

I think the "point" is a little moot for the scene, regardless of which he picked actually. I read hesitation/conflict, he had to think about it before he picked whichever one he picked, so the way I interpreted was some combination of this running through his head.

1. I could lie and say
a. date, just to be nice (hate)
b. hate, it would be awkward to say date (date)

2. I could tell the truth and say
a. date, I still love you (date)
b. hate, no I've moved on (hate)

3. No response, I don't want to reveal how I feel (out of consideration for either his feelings, her feelings, both, or for the sake of keeping options open rather than risking closing them).

Am I over analyzing this? lol, but that's really how I read that one I know I said that I'm a social retard at reading body language, but that whole scene felt like something I've had to do before so I'm projecting pretty hardcore I think.
word count: 179

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Why do a scene if the point is moot? Lost me there. If they didn't think you cared which one he picked they wouldn't have include the scene and they certainly wouldn't have shown the close up of his selection. Of course he hesitated-and of course those were the choices that you said, but either way, watch where the button was pushed, it is on the right...clearly the hate side.
word count: 75

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

What he picked is moot, that doesn't make the scene pointless, and it looks like the left side to me, I don't think there's much point debating it cause neither of us are going to change our minds :P. I think I've been reading how everything is playing out differently (and maybe wrongly I dunno, I'll find out sooner or later) so the scene is important I think, I just don't think what he picked really can be seen as having a specific meaning.

I forgot to mention, that everyone in the Bones cast has an insane labido!
word count: 103

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

The first thing I wanted to say is that I'm not normally squeamish at all but I really, really regretted watching this episode whilst eating dinner but once I got over the slight stomach churn I really enjoyed the episode.

I agree that the culprit was kinda out of left field but on the other hand was still believeable and I actually felt a bit sorry for him which was a bit disturbing given the fact he'd run over someone twice.

I also felt for Brennan at the end and I know its really corny but I so wanted Booth to just give her a big hug.

I liked the Sweets and Daisy story, it was interesting to see Sweets losing control for once and I like Daisy more out of the lab.

I'm unsure about the date or hate scene, I'm not sure whether we were supposed to doubt who was responding who how they were responding. I actually think that maybe the writers/creators are still unsure of what they are going to do with Jack and Angela and I'm guessing that they are just keeping it simmering whilst the whole B&B scenario is played out for the rest of the season, I could be completely wrong of course.

Either way one thing for sure is that TJ looked really hot in that scene.

Not much else to say except roll on the next one, and excuse any spelling mistakes I'm rushing out to the pub.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 262

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Yeah that ...squishy thing was really yikes.

A little more then I'm used to! But in retrospect a lot of the scenes on the Angelator are really disturbing, they always have those sound effects and it's like D:

And then there is writhing around trying not to empathize with what just happened to the skeleton x_x
word count: 59

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I never eat when Bones is on. I mean, ugh, chilli con carne? And that dissolved body in the Truth In The Lye ep - the buckets of excrement in Man In The Outhouse - bodies devoured by ants, maggots, rats..yuk!
word count: 40

Link
Fan

Post by Link »

I pretty much liked that episode, especially the stuffs about Sweets (i'm really fond of this character :D) I'll come by later after reading all of your thoughts about it and watching the 4.21 ^^ (i have to say, it's harder than i thought to follow everything you guys say and explain all of my thoughts about the episodes in english but i'll do my best :))
word count: 69

Eli
Fan

Post by Eli »

Hi everybody,
I'm new here but a lurker before.

About the HATE/DATE scene, IMO Hodgins did press HATE and when the camera show to Angela, she smiled first when see Hodgins's photo but she has a weird shock face later and may be she thought that he hated me, I hated him back. Then the HATE is blinking on Hodgins' phone.

And I among the Sweets' hater but the manly talk scene between him and Booth was funny.

Am I the only one who realize that Angela for the first time in S4 called Hodgins Jack. IMO when she called Hodgins Hodgins just show the distance between them. When she started to call Hodgins Jack, meaning that she tried to make a connection back with Hodgins.

I guess this is too long for my first post.

Have a nice day. :P
word count: 143

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Welcome Eli! No post is too long for a first post and it is great to have you here. If you feel you want to, please go over and introduce yourself in the Welcome forum; everyone will be so happy to see you!

I did notice that Angela called Hodgins 'Jack'. It is possible she is looking for a fresh connection, or maybe just feeling more comfortable with the break-up now. However, it has to be said that even while they were going out she occasionally called him by his surname, so it's a bit confusing! Good point though, definite slight change in dynamic. We look forward to further insights from you!

Link. Il ne faut pas t'inquiéter que ton anglais soit insuffisant, j'essaierai de m'exprimer plus clairement pour toi. Ne t'en fais pas.Tout le monde te comprend très bien ici (personne n'attend que tu écrives de mémoire!) et si tu as du mal a dire quelque chose tu m'en feras partie, je veux bien jouer l'interprète. Tu peux me corriger également si je fais des fautes en francais!

OK, just saying that Link needn't worry as we can all help, that I (and others, I suspect) can translate if she wants to say something difficult and that we understand everything she says. No-one who is not an English speaker should feel awkward about coming on here. We are glad to have you.
word count: 249

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

This episode was definitely a turning point for Jack. He loves Angela, but refuses to settle for a relationship that is basically a booty call. He took back his power and pressed HATE. Not that he hates Angela, but he's again telling her that he wants a meaningful, committed relationship and won't compromise. He tried the relationship on her terms (sex in the Egyptian room), but realized that he isn't being true to his own needs. I liked this sub-plot because it really shows that Angela is yearning for him, but hasn't quite reached the point where she's ready to relent and accept that love requires giving up some personal freedom, and committing to a future together.
word count: 123
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Whee! Rebecca's in the house! So glad to see you popping in. :dance:
word count: 13

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Okay, I'm a couple episodes behind, so please forgive me for coming late to this interesting discussion! :D

My thoughts on this episode:

Not a bad episode, a bit too much of the forced fluffiness for my taste, just to give viewers that patented, expected Booth and Brennan moment. But more on that in a bit.

I liked the forensic science; that was great to see, especially when Brennan's in the lab, doing her thing, or when she went out with Wendall, or when Jack's über-enthusiastic about his findings. (Maggots drunk on tequila? Hilarious.) It was also terrific to see the Angelator. That simulation of the car made it look like it was coming right at me! :shock: ;)

It's interesting that some people I know really loved the episode, some really got frustrated by it (because of inconsistencies in Brennan's character), but I don't really feel one way or another. I blame that on the writers' approach to once again vilify the victim. That seems to be happening a lot this season, and I don't like it.

It reminds me of a discussion some LJ friends of mine were having last week about this episode (and the one that followed it on Thursday night). They talked about how sometimes the characters say insensitive things about the victims as a kind of 'morgue humor,' as in, making crude comments about the victim as a way to deal with the gruesomeness of what they have to examine. I think "Truth in the Lye" is a great example of 'morgue humor.' Hodgins and Angela were making snarky, funny cracks to each other -- he even sat in the tub where the liquified victim had been -- during a case when they had to sift through really, really disgusting remains. But not everyone fell to that behavior. It was specific to the case and the moment. When it's done right, showing a reason for such behavior, that the case can take a toll, it works and can actually be funny and sad at the same time, but if it's done just to force humor (potato chips, chili con carne, pizza?!), it's rude and sickening and not even funny. As one of my LJ buddies said, which I think is an important point that says a lot about the difference in how the writers are approaching the cases and victims these days, "...the character stuff used to excel because the cases mattered." That doesn't seem to be happening very much this season.

I feel like a broken record, myself. It all comes back to balance, balance, balance. When the cases and the character stuff are written in conjunction with each other, when the writers find ways to connect those threads and have the story and the character stuff compliment each other, that's when the show is a work of art. That's when it gets to me and moves me and impresses me.

But this episode made the victim seem like a snobby, type A personality bitch that deserved her comeuppance. Only Brennan's emphasis in the final interrogation that the killer had run her over twice showed any sort of point that she hadn't deserved to be slaughtered. Other than that, no one really seemed all that concerned that a woman had been flattened. I thought the pizza comment was a bit crude, and though it was fitting under the circumstances given how they had to transfer the body, I found myself surprised that it came from Wendell. Even though it was funny, I don't recall him being so smart ass before (interrupting Cam, sassing her in order to make the point that he'd found something, and making the crude pizza references). I like him a lot and I know we don't see him very often in episodes, but I always remembered him as a nice guy and a respectful one at that. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly because we've had Clark and Nigel-Murray around more often lately. Anyway, that surprised me and it seemed forced for the wacky humor angle, which really isn't always necessary. Not everything is supposed to be funny, especially when it's a show about people who have been murdered.

Switching gears...

In the beginnning scene, Booth crossing himself in front of the so-called Mary image annoyed me. Not because Booth can't be religious, but because the writers seem to pull out that trait whenever they 'need' it and forget about it otherwise. Like in "Hero in the Hold," when he was in dire straits, wouldn't a man of Booth's strong faith have taken a moment to pray (or to mutter it to himself while he worked to free himself from that ship)? Instead of it being a constant within Booth's character, it seems to be a trait of convenience, which means when they do pull it out for silly moments like this one, it makes me eye-roll rather than taking him and his faith seriously. I don't think that's a good thing.

I also am really weary of the whole 'oh no, you've got it wrong, we're not together' schtick. I'm sure they mean it to be cute, but it's become such a running commentary, it feels like the writers are hitting me over the head with the message that all the characters out there know and can plainly see that Booth and Brennan are 'perfect' for each other and isn't it funny how clueless both lead characters are about it? They're not that stupid. It's been going on long enough that it's getting ridiculous. These are two adults who have had relationships before. It's just one of those things where I feel as though one or the other has to start inching forward in that regard. We need to see one of them seeing something in the other, or what's the point? Where's the emotional transition? To have them both act so clueless and then immediately deny, deny, deny that it's even possible for them to be a couple in any way but professionally, gets old and silly.

As well, there are now too many 'moments' between Booth and Brennan, like the writers feel it's now mandatory to include them in every episode, like it's expected... when in actuality, I think having forced 'moments' every week cheapens the beauty of those moments when they really count. Like they aren't as emotionally effective anymore because they happen ALL the time. Booth always talks about how things should be 'special'; what's so special about a Booth and Brennan shared moment if we see it every week in almost the same ways, with Booth's same speeches? More on that in a bit.

I was amused by Booth playing shrink to Sweets, complete with 'clipboard' and appropriate 'listening' body language. I felt Booth was being a tiny bit condescending with his disinterest in listening to Sweets 'whine' about his love life, but in an overall sense I appreciated the scene because Sweets is often smug about Booth and Brennan during sessions so it's nice to see Booth get a chance to give it back to Sweets. I especially loved it when Sweets realized how hard it is, being on the other side of the table (or the proverbial couch, I suppose). His line about how Booth turned his psychology around on him and how he really didn't like it was incredibly funny. And both JFD and David played it with great timing and humor.

Okay, moving on to Sweets and Daisy. The actress plays her well but the character Daisy still grates on me, I'm really sorry but she does.

P.S. to Sharon, it was a flimsy excuse for having her there at the bridal shop in order to stir up all the Sweets/Daisy conflict, but her reasoning was that she was the same size as whomever she was shopping for. I do think her excessive giddiness over finding the right dress for her friend (or cousin?) was very much Daisy. She seems to get excited about pretty much everything. ;D

Is it wrong of me that every time she called Sweets "Lancelot" I felt like punching her? :twisted: :oops: :mrgreen:

I liked seeing Sweets' vulnerability after Brennan told him the truth; it humanized him in a way that I don't think we usually get to see. He's usually used for humor purposes only, and like Steph says, he's often very smug, so in contrast it was great to see another level to him this time around. It reminds me of how dejected he was after he got dumped by his girlfriend in that episode with the pottery class. Well done, JFD.

Also well done? TJ in his scenes. (As if that's ever in doubt, but I still think it's important to point out. *GRIN*) I liked the humorous, sheepish expressions TJ had when everyone found out that Hodgins was using a dating service and when he got 'hated' by a Jeffersonian staffer -- who is this woman and how could she possibly 'hate' Hodgins?!? :lol:

Although I'm not sure why he was embarrassed. I recall an episode when he said he'd used an online dating service before, and he didn't seem to mind it then and neither did Angela. *goes to look it up* Yep, it was "Two Bodies in a Lab." Case in point:

BOOTH: So what if your computer date's a psycho?
ANGELA: Only about a billion people date online.
HODGINS: Yeah, I have.

and this:

BRENNAN: Well, it's a practical way of objectively examining a potential partner without all the game play.
ANGELA: That comes later if it works out.

Heh.

Okay, okay, I suppose Hodgins might not want Angela to think he's having any trouble finding a date, after his break-up with her. But still, there is precedence that none of them see anything wrong with using a dating service.

Steph, I think it's funny that you say you keep looking at TJ's mouth during such scenes; I myself find my vision going straight to his expressive eyes, and also his overall body language (hands in pockets, or straightening out his lab coat, I love the little tics he throws in sometimes). :D

I am frustrated by one hugely glaring mistake on the writers' part. The episode before this ended with Hodgins waking up in the middle of nowhere, with an Angela face tattooed on his upper arm. Was that all just a big joke? A hazy dream sequence in a drunk Hodgins' head? Why no follow-up on that? What happened to him? How the hell did he get there? How the hell did he get home? Did Angela's dad do that to him, or did he do it to himself on some drunken run to get away from whatever he thought Angela's dad might do to him? Did he get the tattoo laser-removed? These are the inconsistencies that drive me up a wall. If you're going to go to all the trouble, follow through with it; otherwise, don't bother. I get that they were aiming for humor with that wacky end scene, but to end an episode that way and then not mention it again, it's just ridiculous and un-funny. Forced humor with no point whatsoever. That ticks me off.

In this episode, however, I was emotionally moved by Hodgins and Angela's final scene. I know it seems counterintuitive to the cause of getting them back together, to root for Hodgins to choose 'hate,' but I was really proud of him for doing that. He hesitated, yes, but ultimately he made the choice to say no to her and join Wendell and his female friends instead. He looked happy, and I was really glad for that because it seemed like a strong choice. He may still love Angela but ultimately he's choosing not to be subject to her whims. He wants more than she's willing to give and this time he's not settling for whatever little bits she's offering. He used to twist himself into knots to give her what she wanted. This time he's choosing to stand up for himself and his own happiness, and I think that's awesome. Perhaps someday Angela will figure it out, herself -- and Steph, I agree with you that I hope it's Angela who does the chasing at that point; I think that would be terrific and long overdue -- and they might get back together and this time they will both be happy, but in the meantime, I'm just happy if Jack finds a little happiness on his own. I thought it was awesome to see him walk into that restaurant and join in on that fun group. Really great. I confess I welled up a little for him.

At any rate, I liked the hesitation, then the resolve and the smile that crossed TJ's face, and the wistful acceptance that came over Michaela's. Good stuff! Very well done!

Speaking of love...

There were interesting contrasts in Brennan: she wanted to tell Sweets the truth about Daisy because she felt that was important, but at the same time I think her initial motivation was to one-up him because he'd been so smug about his skills in 'reading people.' I'm not sure her motives for telling him the truth were entirely pure. It was a bit callous, which seemed out of character to me because we've seen Brennan have more compassion for people than that, even Sweets. Especially when she can clearly see him getting upset.

As well, I don't think the episode necessarily proved the reasoning for Brennan's envy. If you look at the case and all the happenings, you'd think it would prove the exact opposite, that Brennan's right in believing that it's ridiculous to romanticize love. I mean, we've got a bride who's cheating on her current fiance, broke up with her previous fiance, and even was so callous as to sell his grandmother's ring. We've got Jack and Angela's relationship, which pretty much dissolved into a mess. Not enviable at all. We've also got a guy who was so annoyed by the other guys getting all the girls in the dating service that he breaks professionalism to pursue a woman who obviously isn't interested, and when she rejects him, he not only kills her but completely flattens her (symbolic, perhaps, because it was not unlike what she did to his heart, as well as what Sweets felt when he thought Daisy had been unfaithful to him). And there's a dating agency that encourages you to make snap, in-the-moment judgments about potential dating prospects based on appearances, and then choose whether you want to 'date' or 'hate' the person. Hate? That just seems really cruel. Talk about flattening a person's self-esteem.

After all that craziness, I'm surprised Brennan didn't see and point that out as proof of her own theories about love. That it causes pain and heartbreak, or that it's simply a chemical reaction and people will do crazy and even horrible things at the mercy of their hormones.

Instead, we get a 'moment' between Booth and Brennan where once again he's feeding her the same old stuff about how someday she'll have it, like the Cinderella of the episode's title. As if real love is a Cinderella fantasy of perfection, when the truth is that it's much more challenging than that. What kind of message is it to have Booth perpetuate that highly romanticized, impossible argument? It gets tiresome, and like I said above in an earlier paragraph, it becomes a less than moving argument when we hear it over and over again, instead of using it sporadically and touchingly. That's when it makes a true impact -- on the characters and the viewers.

They seem to be pounding us over the head with Booth's repeated comments about the sanctity of marriage and romantic love and the importance of treating sex like a Very Important Connective Moment (like it's not supposed to be fun; it's supposed to be a 'very special, shared experience'). While I appreciate that sentiment, the approach and attitude of it troubles me because I feel like the showrunners are choosing to alter Brennan as a character, that she has to change not organically and understandably but in order to fit Booth's view of love and relationships. That she's the one who has to do all the changing, and until that happens, Booth won't make a move. Like he's waiting for her to 'figure it out' first. She'll come to it, she'll 'have that special love someday,' but only once she gives up what she believes. To see Booth physically taking her by the shoulders and steering her in the 'right' direction, whether it's to try to prevent her from telling Sweets what she legitimately feels he has a right to know, or to sit her down once again to tell her that she'll find love someday, it takes away some of the power of her character as an intelligent, adult woman who has the right to make her own choices and live her life as she sees fit. For a character as fascinatingly complex and independent as Brennan, I hate to see her being treated like there's something wrong with her just because she has different views than her male partner.

I still want to see them get together, but not if it means stripping Brennan of her own traits in order to be 'suitable' for Booth as a partner. She still needs to be Brennan, you know what I mean? And Booth needs to give a little, too. Just as we don't like it when Jack does all the bending and giving in his relationship with Angela, Brennan can't be the only one doing the changing or compromising or understanding or shifting. This show started out with Booth feeling awkward and out-of-place in the lab amongst all the geniuses, and Brennan feeling the same awkwardness when she was in social situations. Both characters were out of balance, but for different reasons, under different settings. I always thought it was going to be really cool to see them both realize that measuring a person's worth by IQ or by gut instincts or social skills means nothing, that ultimately if they're right for each other, the two characters would come together as equals, because they finally realize that their individual strengths balance each other and complement each other. I still hope to see that happen.
word count: 3192