Bones 4.22 The Double Death of the Dearly Departed

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 4.22 The Double Death of the Dearly Departed

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh dear. :shock:
Just caught this on a really good Net link. Not impressed. I'll get back when I have more time and have collected some thoughts together. TJ plays comedy with style. But this one borders on farce (farce as a genre, not as an insult), and does that really reflect what we tend to expect of the show?
word count: 60
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 4.22 The Double Death of the Dearly Departed

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

I strongly suspect that this one is definitely not going to be to everyone's taste. It was completely off the wall with regard to what would normally be expected from Bones. I actually quite liked it but there was one bit that I seriously did not like and that was the bit where Booth took the money off the body, I just don't think that stealing from a dead body could ever be considered funny (and whether he was owed the money or not its still stealing if you can't ask for it.) On the other hand I love that Hodgins gave the deceased the money in the first place.

I liked the undertaker, I don't know if he was more scared because of the supposed dead body that moved or the lunatics who made off with said body and chained him to the coffin.

A couple of other moments I again really liked, were 'king of the funeral' and 'Swing low sweet chariot' which was really surreal and I suspect is either love or hate. One things for sure, assuming he wasn't putting it on, singing is not one of Mr B's talents. I have to say though if I was that lawyer I would have been completely under his spell when they had their chat, he does charm very well.

I loved Hodgins speech as well when he lost it on seeing B&B with the body, that was hilarious.

A final thought I quite liked Cam being the concerned guardian and the very frustrated accomplice when no one was coming to help her with the body.

I think this is probably a bit stand alone as an episode 'cos its not really traditional Bones but I laughed a lot anyway.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 306

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Just wanted to add that if they were going to do the money thing at the start it would have been better for Hodgins to give Booth the money directly saying that all debts are then settled or something like that.

Also I forgot to say I liked B&B at the end it felt more heartfelt and less forced than some of the scenes between them

Anyway I'm going to watch the Reds win now, fingers crossed.

Jude x
word count: 81

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Count me among the people amused by the bizarre for better or worse.

This episode was hilarious to me, I mean the format was the kind that tends to make me a little frustrated ( certain sorts of seemingly inevitable downward spirals just get me a little crazy). But it made up for it by not taking that path fully!

And yeah, I agree it was bad for booth to take that 20, and didn't seem like something he would even do it would have worked better if Hodgins just gave it to him in a all debts paid way.

Speaking of which, where was Hodgins at the end? I guess he went home with Angela...(I like how she was regarding him like he had a screw loose when he gave his eulogy lol).

I really liked the twist to a different format, (I could have done without the needle in the eye though). Granted every season Bones has had experimenting in some way or another, which I applaud it for, even if some episodes fall flat to people. I'd rather they experiment some then stay within the same comfortable little box.
word count: 194

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I cautiously agree with a lot of what you two have said (I did laugh at least once and I looked away at the eye bit too!), but I have to admit I didn't see this as a refreshing experiment taking us out of the familiar. I expect an experiment to show me something a bit new, and this just came over as a succession of tired old clichés. Staples of any Whitehall (or French!) farce: corpse being stolen rather clumsily while someone talks desperately to distract potential watchers (haven't I seen that in Joe Orton's oeuvre or, less theatrically, 'Last Of The Summer Wine'?). Intimate couple being disturbed in a corner. Someone tries to make the dead face smile. A succession of people stand in front of the casket offering increasingly idiotic reasons as to why the body cannot be viewed. The cheap trick of the 20$ bill. Catfight in the middle of a wake (and the suggestion that it could have been more enjoyable in jello!). The singing, again to distract, and seemingly offered as the same giggle fodder as Boreanaz's Angel doing karaoke. The classic image - which, thank goodness, we didn't see - of a dead body jumping back to life and scaring the unfortunate undertaker. I was frankly surprised not to see a fast-forward Benny Hill waddling after the hearse with a bevy of busty beauties in his wake (oops sorry, no pun intended).

Somehow none of the dialogue really satisfied me. It felt contrived, silly and superficial (though fair enough, that's how people do talk at these rather stilted occasions) and in most cases monumentally out of character. So TJ did an excellent comedy routine eulogy, but it didn't 'feel' like Hodgins. That said, 'King Of The Funeral' -wonderful! On the other hand, there were continual nods to Brennan's identifiable traits, like her trademark bluntness, which was simply becoming irritating to me by the end of this episode.

I did like to see the gang together out of the lab in a social context, it's a rare event. But I think something more could have been made of it, I really do. And I prefer a greater respect for the victims.

word count: 376
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well add me in with Lore and Jude, I have to admit I thought it was funny! Yes, maybe its all been done before, but to let them all get away from the constant seriousness and be a bit odd in a funny way worked for me. KING OF THE FUNERAL! HA HA HA HA HA

(I did look away during the eye thing though) :mrgreen:
word count: 65
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sandy
Fan

Post by Sandy »

hahaa i want to to say taht i loved this episode!!!!!!! was so really funny!! i couldnt stop to laughing!!!

Hodgins trying to invent a speech in the funeral while Booth and Bones was trying to take the dead man and then Booth dancing and singing encouraging the funeral. hahahha

HODGINGS THE KING OF THE FUNERAL!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
word count: 56

ForensicMama
Fan

Post by ForensicMama »

I haven't added my thoughts on this episode yet! Honestly it's one of my favorites this season. I was quite surprised. I wasn't too interested from the sides, but boy what a surprise. It was so hilarious! Jack was just amazingly funny... all of the people/actors/crew... fabulous. I wanna find the writer of this episode and :clap: ... I like that since it was set in a funeral home/funeral setting that that morbidity was offset by humour. It was genius. The humour, btw was well-written, tasteful, but not too silly. I really did enjoy this episode quite a bit. I think I've watched this episode the most so far of all of the S4 eps. Quite funny and charming.

~Mama
word count: 126
Blogger, Temptress, & Miss America All In One Compact Little Package
http://bonesspoilers.blogspot.com