Bones 4.25 The Critic in the Cabernet

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones 4.25 The Critic in the Cabernet

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

The major thing I have to say is, I know I've been the teeniest bit critical of David Boreanaz this season but he was totally amazing in this one, I had goosebumps. The end when Booth told Bones she could have his 'stuff' was really emotional but the bit that really had me on the verge of tears was when he was talking to 'Stewie' in the interrogation room OMG!!!!!

Emily was as amazing as ever, with Brennan using science to stop her from having to deal with emotions as usual, until the end scenes of course.

I loved the interraction between Jack and Angela, the look over the 'starting over' possibility. I also really liked Sweets, in the end scenes expecially, he is so growing on me as a character.

Finally I have to say I also cried laughing during the melon scene, Tamara Taylor's face was an absolute picture!

Suffice to say I thought this episode was fab, very flimsy to do with the case, but that wasn't what it was about, this one was about love and friendship and the fragility of life, absolutely brilliant!

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 198

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 4.25 The Critic in the Cabernet

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi Jude! Yes, I agree with you. The beginning was unmitigatedly disgusting, as I'd expected, but has not put me off my occasional glass of decent red wine, so no harm done.

It's true that the dénouement here was pretty straightforward and easy to guess at, but that wasn't the point. This one was about people caring for each other, as parents, friends and lovers. That's why the babies fitted in so naturally, as opposed to the rather contrived situation in 'Baby In The Bough'. Emily and David played out some wonderfully understated, outwardly insouciant scenes, while hinting at emotional turmoil underneath. And Booth interacting with Stewie Griffin wasn't farcical at all (tho some of the latter's comments were really very funny), but believable, sad and extremely creepy. The scene in the interrogation room, with Brennan increasingly distressed by Booth's bizarre behaviour as he responded to the voice in his head, rang very true; and as for having the television speak to you, even when turned off and unplugged, well actually that's the stuff of nightmares, don't you think?

Everyone rose to the occasion and there was some tour-de-force acting going on. I cheered and laughed at the water melon scene and was moved by Hodgins' wistful remark to Angela about maybe trying again. Proving that TJ can make you laugh and cry in quick succession.

Looking forward, needless to say, to next week. Having all those guest stars on will feel a bit like the end of the last Doctor Who season, with all the ex-companions acting as one. And it will be great to see Sweets with a band and Angela as a hostess!

Ponder Time: Had Jared really disappeared off to India at such speed that he couldn't be contacted while his brother might be fighting for his life in a serious operation??
word count: 320
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Addition to Steph's Ponder Time: Jared should have been there, absolutely (especially because he and Booth had very recently had a nice reconciliation). And where was Booth's son, Parker? If he thought he might die during surgery, if he was afraid he might not make it, he would have wanted a moment with his son.
word count: 57

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Very good point! Where's Rebecca??
word count: 6
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I was relieved when they gave a rational explanation why Booth was imagining cartoon babies (as opposed to it just being a plug for another FOX series). However, I did shake my head a bit in bewilderment at Brennan's sudden change of heart about motherhood and babies. I'm sure B/B shippers are going bananas right about now, particularly with that little bedroom snippet in next week's preview. I wish them luck!

I was more ecstatic to hear Jack's tell Angela that they could start over. How sweet would that be? I will be keeping my fingers crossed that we will see the return of J/A in season five. I wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of their earlier courtship.
word count: 125
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

Hello!
I really wish that THIS episode had been used as the finale, as it was a stronger episode and evoked much more emotion from the viewers.

I've got to say, David was really great in this episode (All of them were great, but I felt I ought to mention David's performance in particular) I particular liked the scene of him talking to Stewie in front of Brennan and the suspect. I found this scene very emotional, and literally, words cannot describe how I felt about David's performance in that scene (Or I cannot think of the words anyway). I would say it was 'Great' but that's such a boring description! it was beyond great....if that's any more accurate.

I watched this episode with a friend of mine who had only seen one episode of Bones before this one (I was introducing her to it) and neither of us had seen this episode. We put it on, and my friend was almost in tears, despite having seen only one previous episode!

The reason I think this should have been the finale is because, if it can make a Bones newbie cry, as well as it's more long term fans, it is a very powerful episode, with a lot of depth.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode...and that's about all I have to say. :D
word count: 232
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins