Bones/Lie to Me crossover?

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones/Lie to Me crossover?

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Everyone

Been reading about the possibility of a Bones/Lie to Me crossover and I have to say, loving this idea, it would be like cheesy chips (french fries) two delicious flavours at the same time.

i've sent HH a tweet just to say he's so gotta make this happen (like he's gonna go 'well Jude in Liverpool thinks we should go for it so let's make it happen') but hey.

Anyway that's my opinion and because I'm on lunch and fancy some creativity in the middle of a mind numbingly boring day I think I'll pop over to speculation and give a few of my own ideas on how they could make this happen, if anyone's interested.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 132

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones/Lie to Me crossover?

Post by ThyneAlone »

Jude, I favour this idea quite a lot, since I adore Lie To Me and think Tim Roth is brilliant (did you see last night's??). Whether it would work or be practicable I've no idea, but I look forward to your speculation, as you've already done superb work on this kind of thing!
word count: 56
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Last nights was so cool, he has to have been one of the scariest vilians ever and he didn't really do anything!!!

Also I'm in love with Cal Lightman he's just such a cool character.

Jude x
word count: 40

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sorry but I have to say I HATE crossover episodes. Hate them. I hate being forced to watch a show that I haven't been motivated to watch before (yes I know I don't have to, but..how can I not watch if I want to try to get the whole story??). Every time I've seen a crossover it has been half on a show I don't watch and it always ends up disjointed for me because all those characters from the other show I have no idea who they are so it just ruins the whole story for me. And because I usually end up feeling a bit cheated I definitely don't start watching that other show, which I suppose is the point of crossovers, to bring more viewers in to each of the shows. It just doesn't work for me. Anyway, just how I feel about crossovers.

And a side question, when they release the DVD sets do they include the episode of the other show?? I have no idea so was curious about that...or you get half a story because they want you to buy the OTHER shows DVD set too? Anyone know how that works?

I do understand if you watch the show it probably doesn't bother you at all! :lol:
word count: 221
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Sharon, once again it seems we are of one mind. :D

I don't hate crossovers, but I don't particularly love them either. I think they're distracting.

It all depends on the shows being crossed.

For example, a crossover between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel worked because Angel is a spin-off of the Buffy series; thus, all the characters involved were already connected. It creates a believable setup for the characters to get together.

But most of the time, crossovers occur between two shows that don't necessarily fit together -- the network just wants to promote them both.

An example. They brought in Richard Belzer from Law & Order into The X-Files. While he is always an entertaining actor, his presence on a supernatural program -- while playing a character from a show that is not in the fantasy drama realm that XF was -- felt jarring and out of place. It seemed odd to mix those worlds.

I think it can be entertaining, but it also distracts. I think that's partly why the Stewie from Family Guy bit didn't exactly work for me. He just pulled me right out of being swept up in the episode. I know they were trying to be funny while also conveying something serious, but to use something so familiar and commercial, rather than allowing Booth to have a more 'real' hallucination, just ruined it for me. It really didn't have the impact it could have had. (To me, anyway.) It feels like a gimmick. And it's not one that I think Bones needs to employ.

P.S. No, I don't believe they put both shows' crossover episodes on the same DVD. At least, with Buffy and Angel, they didn't. On Buffy's DVD set, they included the episode that took place first on her show, and on Angel's DVD set, they included the episode that took place on his show. Though I do think Joss planned it smartly -- the way the episodes were written, they were relatively independent of each other. They could stand alone, or complete each other (fill in a few blanks and open suggestions made). Another reason why their crossover worked. But I don't think it would work that way all the time. For example, there was an episode of Gideon's Crossing crossed with an episode of The Practice, and you really needed to see both parts -- they were dependent upon each other. I highly doubt they'll include both on a set for The Practice, should they happen to finally release the rest of that show's seasons. I'd be surprised, anyway.
word count: 444

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Ok, it’s been a very, very long boring day so I thought I’d lighten my mood a bit.

On the subject of crossovers
WARNING: The following is crossover and AU (hey if you’re gonna go for it you may as well go for it in a big way)

Couple of explanations of the programmes I’m using and why:

American Idol (Fox programme and previous links)
House (Again Fox programme and I would love to see an interaction between House and Brennan)
The Rockford Files (loved the original and HH has been talking on Twitter about a remake)
Whacky Races (the obligatory cartoon and absolutely class television, I’m going for an AU version here!)
Top Gear (lots of overgrown boys and their fast cars, a fave of HH)
There’s a bit of a ‘Thelma and Louise’ ref in there too, oh and a certain man in black who I’m sure needs no introduction.

Anyway here we go…

The heats of American Idol are well under way and Seeley Booth is auditioning in an attempt to impress a certain lady forensic pathologist. However all does not go as planned and he gets arrested for crimes against music, lets face it he’s already murdered ‘Swing Low sweet Chariot’!

Bones investigates to try and get him off with the crime but in doing so falls for the ‘charms’ of Simon Cowell; tragedy strikes and during a passionate liaison she is overcome by his aftershave and ends up in hospital under the care of visiting Doctor Gregory House. House is not happy at having to vie for the title of ‘most opinionated and stubborn character on TV’ with Brennan so he gives her an overdose of sedative which doesn’t kill her but, ‘SHOCK’ ‘HORROR’ leaves her in a coma.

Whilst in the coma she imagines/dreams/has an alternate reality (just in case I’m covering every angle) that she is investigating a crime with Jim Rockford. They are investigating the Ant Hill Mob for putting the squeeze on Jeremy and Co. at Top Gear so that their vehicle, and the rest in Whacky races, get a good review on the show.

Ok this is the AU bit, the Ant Hill mob look suspiciously like a few interns we might just be familiar with oh and then there’s Jack ‘Dastardly’ Hodgins and his equally evil sister Camille (my very own character!) plus Angela Pitstop in her sporty little number. Anyway Bones and Rockford are about to drive over a cliff after being chased by the ant Hill Mob when…

Bones wakes up only to find herself face to face with a man in black who’s about to give her a very serious love bite (now I wonder who that could be????)
So where is Sweets in all this I hear you ask…

Well, I’m thinking, talent contests, arrests, comas… there’s gonna be a very long queue at his door after all that.

Ok in the best tradition of film making.

That’s all folks

Jude x
Last edited by Jude40 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 514

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

LOL!! :lol: :lol:
What panache! :twisted: Love it. :clap:

In general, ladies, I don't feel that imposing one fantasy world on another is effective. It can blast the fourth wall to bits in Brechtian style, doing away with suspension of disbelief. As Sherry says, Buffy and Angel worked well because they were the same world, the same vision of the same man; I understand that at some stage, in similar fashion, David Tennant will be guesting in The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Lie To Me might have a chance of working convincingly because both shows are about the same thing; getting to the truth. And both have heavy FBI involvement.

But something stirs in the great black abyss that is my mind. Someone tell me whether this is correct. A couple of seasons ago, wasn't there talk of a Bones crossover with some other show, the name of which escapes me :doh: as I' d never watched it? What happened to that? Did it whirl down into the gaping, all-consuming dark maw of the writers' strike?
word count: 173

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Jude is trying to give me nightmares!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think that'd be the end of my Bones watching, TJ or no TJ!! ;)

Basically I watch House and Bones. So unless those two crossed-over I'll be half lost no matter what show they choose. And HH already said House/Bones isn't very likely because they are done by different studios. So any crossover they choose I'm not gonna like.

Another thing with crossovers, rarely does the whole of one cast go to the other show, so I'd be REALLY REALLY surprised if when they crossover that we'll see anyone but Booth and Brennan on the other show. Not that I know that will happen but that is what I think will happen.
word count: 127
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sherry that is what I thought, that you don't get a bonus episode on the DVD set you just get shortchanged half a story. LOL
word count: 26

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I'm not particualrly in favor of the crossover, either. I don't watch "Lie to Me," so I'm sure I would be at a bit of a loss. It will be especially annoying if I have to track down the other show to see the rest of my episode.

As for the Buffy/Angel thing, I found even that annoying. I watched Buffy, but not Angel. In fact, I came to the show late & watched all the episodes on DVD. I would have had to buy the Angel DVD's only for the sake of the crossovers. Although, I suppose I could try to find them online or try to find them for rent, I don't like being forced to seek out a show I don't want to watch. Then, you're forced to do this every time you rewatch those Buffy eps in order to see the whole story. :x Anyway, while the shows weren't entirely dependent upon one another, the characters kept referring to things from the crossover & it was a bit confusing & annoying.
word count: 180
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I certainly would find it irritating, I must say, having to gen up on an unfamiliar show in order to find out what was going on, who the characters were and how it fitted in. I watched Buffy and, sporadically, Angel, so the mythos was very familiar; but to be fair I really don't remember it being confusing when a story would start in one show and finish in the other; there were sufficient verbal explanations of what had occurred that the eps could stand individually, without mutual reference. Does a crossover have to involve both shows anyway? Could there not just be, for example, a Bones ep where the guest stars happen to be x, y and z from another show?

Interesting, Sherry, what you say about Stewie. I loathed the idea of him guesting, I really did, but in the event I felt that he fitted in quite well and I was surprised that he was used effectively as a hallucination.
word count: 164

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph when they say crossover, they definitely mean each show will have an episode dealing with one story. So nope, it won't just be the people from Lie to Me coming to Bones, it'll be people (Booth and Brennan I'm sure) going to Lie to Me as well. Otherwise they wouldn't use the word crossover.

Stewie wasn't a true crossover, because they didn't have anyone from Bones on Family Guy (even drawn as a cartoon LOL).
word count: 82

brooke34
Fan

Post by brooke34 »

I've never watched Lie to Me, though I understand it's a good show. From what I've heard of it, it might be interesting for its main character to interact with the Bones folks.

I do agree with some of what's been said here about the mixed results when it comes to crossovers. The Buffy/Angel crossovers always worked for me, just because I was a faithful viewer of both shows. (Except for that last one where DB paid a visit at the series end of Buffy. It just seemed tacked on and didn't really serve a purpose, but that's a whole other topic...)

Anyway, even if they decide not to do a Bones/LTM crossover, I'm sure that idea will occur to someone in the fanfic universe, regardless! :D

Hillarie
word count: 136

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Jade, that's an interesting point. I too was a little annoyed at having to watch another program (one I didn't know) in order to see both parts of the storyline. But for me that's because I kind of came to watch Buffy and Angel backwards. I found Angel's show first, and loved it and started watching it. Then, the Buffy/Angel crossover occurred, so I was forced to watch the Buffy episode in order to see the first part of the story, and then watch the Angel portion afterwards. I was annoyed at having to watch Buffy -- I admit, I'd never seen it, but the name alone was enough to irritate me; I assumed many (incorrect) things about the type of show it was, based on that title. I didn't really want to be forced into watching a show that I didn't think I'd like. But you know, I was wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it. I LOVED the characters, and watching that crossover arc nudged me into going back and watching all the Buffy episodes that came before it. From then on, I watched both programs, and I will always be glad of that because I think they're both terrific shows.

However, not every crossover is as successful. Sometimes they just don't fit properly and that throws me off as a viewer.

ThyneAlone wrote:Interesting, Sherry, what you say about Stewie. I loathed the idea of him guesting, I really did, but in the event I felt that he fitted in quite well and I was surprised that he was used effectively as a hallucination.
Intriguing point, Steph. I think for me what worked was Brennan's reaction to what Booth was doing and seeing. I hated the Stewie hallucination because I felt it was jarringly out of place and too commercial to have a big impact for the moment. His presence seemed to turn the moment into a wacky joke, rather than what I thought it should have been (something scary and alarming). It pulled me right out of the scene. What brought me back in was the acting, on David's part and Emily's part. They are what sold the moment for me. Their emotional connection, Brennan pleading with Booth to trust her, that's what got me.
word count: 396

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Don't know "Lie to me" at all. Worth investigating! :wink: :)
Simone.
word count: 11
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:I hated the Stewie hallucination because I felt it was jarringly out of place and too commercial to have a big impact for the moment. His presence seemed to turn the moment into a wacky joke, rather than what I thought it should have been (something scary and alarming).
Now you see, I did precisely the opposite; expected it to feel jarring and gimmicky and yet found it quite frightening. Yes, some of it was obviously geared to amuse (well, that's Stewie's raison d'etre), but I found that creepy and threatening in context. I agree with you about the acting from DB & ED there though. It was meant to feel wrong and bizarre - and they made sure it was really worrying.
word count: 126

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Couldn't agree with you more about cross overs.. I hate them too..

I haven't yet seen all of season 4 because it haven't been released in Denmark yet.. can't wait.. however I did see the episode were Stewie appeared.. Weird..

Could some one inform me what "Lie to me" is? I don't believe that it has been aired in Denmark..
word count: 65