Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hello to all! :greetings-waveyellow:

I've been meaning to catch up with everyone's comments, but I've been toiling away on that third X-Files recap for the past few days. At last, at last, it is complete! Whew. Many late nights. Staying up toooo late. But it was fun, so that's what's important. :D And now I can move on to new creative pursuits. A big yay for that.

skftex wrote:
TJ's hair, I don't know how he'd feel about a question about his hair. It just seems a bit, well I can't think of the word I want, but I guess trivial?
*GRIN* It is absolutely trivial, but you know, sometimes fan questions are trivial. But in a harmless way. *shrugs* In the scheme of things, asking whether or not someone has cut their hair this year is a lot less personal than asking them about their dating preferences or such very personal topics, you know? It's just hair.

Though, at the same time, I acknowledge that TJ might not want to become the Julia Roberts of television, wherein everyone obsesses about what he's done with his hair. ;)

(Poor woman. For years no one wanted her to touch those long wavy locks! If she did, the uproar that ensued! Sheesh. It's her hair, for crying out loud. She's allowed to experiment.)

Anyway...

skftex wrote:Yes, I was an X-Files watcher. Picked up watching it halfway through the first season and faithfully watched it til the end, even though I didn't like it as much once David Duchovny left. ... I have to admit I don't know the other two just by their names because I didn't pay attention to episode names so much back then. I'll read what you wrote though and I'm sure I'll know right away which episodes they were! :D
Fantastic! Yay for X-Files watchers! :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: Thanks for being so supportive of my writings, Sharon. I appreciate that more than I can express. And I love to hear your opinions on such things, so I hope you let me know your impressions on those episodes.

:sci-fi-beamup:

I think you may recognize those two episodes ("Tunguska" and "Terma") as soon as you start reading the recaps. They're fairly unforgettable when it comes to the mytharc. Scully's being harassed by a Congressional Subcommittee! Alex Krycek comes back! How did he escape the silo?! Mulder is exposed to something hideous! And what happens to Krycek... well... read the recap. :shock: EEK.

:lol:

Very exciting. But I digress...

Hello to Simone! Thank you again for forwarding the David and John link to me. Hilarious stuff. (And you were right about turning down the volume -- holy screaming fans! LOL.)

Jade, I'm sorry to hear about the sunburn and the ants and spiders. Sounds like the s'mores were yummy, though. :mrgreen: At any rate, welcome back! Has your sunburn subsided?

Jenny, your weekend sounded lovely, too. Again, except for the sunburn. Seems everyone's getting burned this summer! Ouch. Shun the flying squirrel costume for a few days! *GRIN*

And Steph... *waves wildly* We've missed you and your thorough posts! Welcome back! I'm glad all the wonderful new members have given you much to read upon your return. Isn't it fantastic?

I'm sorry to hear about the rain and thunderstorms you experienced, but the cathetral and castle and the choir concert sound spectacular. You put things so vividly, it's almost like I'm there. (I wish. Heee.)

I am so sorry to hear you've been having foot pain of your own! Do you have it in both feet? For me, it's just my right foot, ever since that fall on the ice. But it went away... and now it's back. Grrrr. Are you going to see a doctor about it? I know someone else who had it so bad, she had to get cortisone shots. I have not had to do that, thank goodness. I just do stretches and push through it. It's an annoying pain in the ass. Well, actually, it's a pain in the foot. :lol: Ho ho ho. At any rate, I'm very glad to hear it didn't hinder your enjoyment of exploring on your trip. (P.S. You are so right -- it's the standing still for too long that kills you. Ouch.)

The Tennyson exhibit sounds fascinating! As does the impressive tour of the airfield. It sounds remarkably moving.

ThyneAlone wrote:No complaints about the eateries in Lincoln. In amongst the cobbled streets, Tudor overhangs, swan hordes on the river, Roman remains and exquisite little independent shops there are some fine restaurants.
The way you describe the area, with the cobbled streets, and the Tudor-style buildings, and all the swans and designs... oh, Steph, it just sounds so magical. I want to step inside the portrait you paint, and walk those streets and see those sights and savor the food from those restaurants and just take it all in! Thank you for sharing your trip with us in this manner.

P.S. I'm relieved for you that your house is still intact upon returning from your trip. ;) I knew they would take care of it for you!

ThyneAlone wrote:I wasn't a Mad Xphile, Sherry, Sharon, but I did watch some enthusiastically, and the Tunguska one was good. Wish I'd seen the Paper Hearts one, though. The way you bring it to life it sounds a lot like the saga of Howard Epps!
If you ever get the opportunity, Steph, I highly recommend that episode. I really do think it's David Duchovny's best overall performance of the series. He's wonderful and heartbreaking. And it's very psychological in the manner of Howard Epps. If you enjoy that story arc from Bones, I highly recommend viewing this XF episode. It's chilling.

And if either of you -- or Rebecca, wherever she is out there, X-Phile that I know she is -- wants to read my work about it, as I mentioned to Sharon above, I've finally completed the recap for "Paper Hearts" and posted it to my LiveJournal. Part one and part two, for your enjoyment! (I hope. Heh.) Perhaps reading the 'cap will nudge you to seek out the episode itself! (I hope so!)

P.S. to Steph: That Teddy Bear you made TJ is adorable. Nice work!

Final note of the morning... I got some terrible news last night, and I am just sick to my stomach about it. My sister -- who has been a journalist/reporter/writer for this one newspaper ever since she graduated from college -- has been 'let go' from her job. :snooty: Well, actually, they've been doing all sorts of cutbacks and downsizing of their employee roster for the past year or two, offering deals to specific employees who have been with the company for a long time, so that the newspaper can cut back on costs. Ever since my sister had her two kids, she's only been writing for the paper part time instead of full time, so I think this time around they had already weeded out enough of the others that she finally came to the top of their list of expendables. THey offered her some sort of package, what she called a 'voluntary buyout' (I'm not sure of the details of what that is yet), but the bulk of it means that after almost 20 years writing for these people (it would have been 20 years in December, she says), she is now jobless. Her last day was yesterday.

Can I just rant for a moment and say how much I hate the corporate arena? :angry-cussingwhite:

I know, I know, it's business and they have their bottom line to think about. But that's the thing: it's all about money and that's it. Hard work, creativity, dedication, loyalty... these things don't seem to mean much to companies anymore. They can't afford to care about those attributes. And good employees are lost because of it. It sickens me, it really does. It breaks my heart. It's just so wrong. :angry-soapbox:

Some of you already know that I've been out of work for the past year and a half after getting laid off as part of massive cutbacks in the company for which I worked, and that's been frustrating enough. But to know that my sister may suffer the same? That she may struggle to find a new job, like I've been? That she has the added pressure of being married and having two kids to worry about? It just makes me sick to my stomach. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. :(

Anyway, I just wanted to express that. I'm so worried for her -- and I'm still worried for myself! -- and it just feels horrible and frustrating and nauseating and wearying. It's awful. *heavy sigh* And I just want it to get better, for everyone out there who's going through something like this. I want us all to find worthy, rewarding jobs in which we can feel happy and fulfilled (creatively or otherwise). Thanks for listening! :text-thankyouyellow:
word count: 1554
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Hey, Sherry. I'm so sorry to hear that your sister has joined us in the jobhunt. I hope you both manage to find something soon.

My sunburn's faded to a farmer's tan (I always wear a t-shirt & shorts over my suit :roll: ), and the ant-bites are fading. The spider bites are being a bit more persistent. Itchy. :(
word count: 61
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sherry, I am angry and upset along with you. All you say is true and very depressing. Knowing how miserable it is getting up in the morning and realising that the dreary hunt has to continue, I can more than appreciate how worried you are about your sister and her family being treated in this cavalier fashion. I know we can't help practically, but I hope it did you good to blow off steam.

My sister and her husband were both made redundant from their high-earning bank jobs about 7 years ago. She is still without work and he is keeping them with what he can scrape together from an unchallenging and poorly paid part time desk job and an evening job in fast food delivery. This means there's hardly ever a time when he's not working. They have kids of 20, 18 and 12 all living at home in a house that really only accommodates a 2-child family comfortably - but they can't move because property is too expensive. Fortunately the eldest boy has a decent job at a gym and the middle girl has a rich boyfriend, so the kids are not feeling the pinch as much as they might. But it's not good for the self esteem. And they live in a dormitory town which goes to sleep during the working day, leaving my sister little opportunity to get out and make friends.

I really do hope that your sister is able to find something soon. I'm thinking of her.
word count: 260
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

JennyLea
Fan

Post by JennyLea »

Shannon, your dream sounded quite interesting (Random thread) and Sherry, I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

I've kind of half-heartedly been lurking around the forum and site the last couple of days. It hasn't been until now that I have been able to compose myself enough to write.

On Tuesday after noon a very dear friend of mine was killed. His tractor was rearended by a semi (transport truck). I have been trying to deal with that. Anyway, here is a bit of free writing (unedited) that I wrote just to help release some of the emotions in a controlled manner.

So Alone

So alone. Lost in a vortex of darkness. No shoulder to lean on. No consoling touch. No reprieve from the darkness that has clutched my soul. The body lies. It displays merely a shadow of what the heart hides. Emotions unleashed are feral., emotions suppressed lethal. Grief is consuming.

So alone. Lost in a battle of truth and denial. The subconscious thought denies what the conscious thought knows to be true. It’s not real. It’s not fair. I just can’t be happening.
Not wanting to believe, but not able to forget. The loss, the darkness, the emptiness take hold. Grief is consuming

So alone. Lost in a world of tumultuous thoughts. Can’t fight them. Can’t stop them. Can’t hide from them. Every waking moment thinking “What if? I should have? Why didn’t I?”. It’s too late. The moments are gone. The time has passed. There is no more. Grief is consuming.

So alone. Must carry on. No shoulder to lean on. No consoling touch. It will never be the same. The body lies. It displays merely a shadow of what the heart hides. Must let go. Must move on. Must find the light. Darkness is evil. Light is good. Grief is consuming.

Sorry about troubling all of you with this, but I needed to tell someone.

Jenifer aka Jenny
word count: 335

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hi Everybody, sorry I've been an absent friend--I'm in the thick of trying to buy a house right now, and I just got a new dog a week ago!

Steph mentioned that some of you were interested in going to the San Diego Comic Con next year. Yes, I went to Comic Con this year, but was unable to get into the Bones panel. In order to see something like Bones, which was in the big venue room, Ballroom 20, you had to arrive as soon as the Convention opened, go directly to Ballroom 20, find a seat, and sit through all the other panels (which might be all day). You cannot leave your seat, so best plan on dehydrating yourself so you don't need a toilet break. I actually have a friend that did that very thing. He saw all the panels, including Bones at 2:00, but he couldn't leave his seat. We tried to get into Caprica earlier in the day, waited in line two hours, and still couldn't get in! The only panels I saw were Farscape and Warehouse 13--both of which were delightful.

If TJ had been at the panel, I would have gone through all the above riggamarole. As it was, David had to cancel at the last minute, so it was only Emily.

If a person wants to go to Comic Con, they need to buy their tickets NOW. They are selling out faster every year. Good luck, and maybe we'll see you there--although I haven't bought next year's tickets yet!

word count: 269
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Thanks for the info Rebecca you're a star, good luck with the house buying

Jude x
word count: 17

brooke34
Fan

Post by brooke34 »

Jenny, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I can't even imagine the difficulty of what you must be going through right now. What you wrote was beautifully done, I'm just sorry that it was necessary in the first place.

We're all here if you need someone to vent to, or to make you laugh or try to get your mind off things.

Hillarie
word count: 70

brooke34
Fan

Post by brooke34 »

Also, Sherry, I'm so sorry about your sister's losing her job, and the fact that you're having trouble finding work as well. I was rudely and unnecessarily dismissed from my job about a year and a half ago, and had been casting my net everywhere I could think of until I found something very recently, so I know what y'all are going through. You send out resumes and send out resumes until you're blue in the face and start to think "Is anyone actually seeing these, or what? You just have to keep slogging through it, but I know it's hell on a person's confidence.

I know something will come through for you, though. At the very least if someone needs proof that you're brilliantly intelligent and well-spoken, just direct them to your posts here. They'll doubtless roll out the red carpet for you then!

Hillarie
word count: 156

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Jenny, I have already said all this in the chat box, but I too am so sorry about your friend. There are deep truths in what you have written, and one of them is the sense of loneliness inherent in grief. People can't really say they know what you're going through, because the feelings are different for every individual. There's something in St.-Exupéry's The Little Prince that talks about feeling isolated from someone when they are crying - the land of tears is a strange country, I think it says - and it is. I am sure you will work this through in your own way Jenny, I know you are a very positive individual. But don't forget we are here if you need to talk. <<hug>>
word count: 132
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Rain
Fan

Post by Rain »

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Jenny. I agree with Steph You'll go through this in your own way with your own feelings. I'm sure by now you know that everyone here (even in our different time zones) is here for you. Don't feel bad about venting. You write whatever you need to. This can be just another outlet for your feelings and we are more than happy to read them and support you.

Shannon
word count: 81

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Jenny, so sorry about the loss of your friend. I agree with what Shannon said, write whatever you like! We are here!

Sherry, sorry about your sister losing her job too! That is very frustrating. I'll add her to my fingers crossed for you! :)
word count: 45
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Rain
Fan

Post by Rain »

I forgot to mention you Sherry. I'm sorry to hear about you and your sisters job loss. I couldn't even imagine what you guys are going through. The job situation is tough here in Canada too. I currently have 2 part-time jobs just to get 35 to 40 hours a week. Every time I want to complain about having to work a lot of days in a row, I try to remember that I'm actually very luck and blessed. I'll keep you and your sister in my thoughts.

Shannon
word count: 94

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

First off, to Rebecca -- wonderful to see you posting! We've missed you!

(P.S. Feel free to expound upon your Farscape experience, please. I just started watching that this year, due to some friends' insistent nudging, and I love it. Who was on the panel? Did they talk about the reissuing of the DVD sets that's supposed to occur late this fall?)

Thank you all for your kind, supportive words regarding my sister's job situation (and mine!). I take each and every one of them to heart. :romance-smileyheart:

brooke34 wrote: I was rudely and unnecessarily dismissed from my job about a year and a half ago, and had been casting my net everywhere I could think of until I found something very recently, so I know what y'all are going through. You send out resumes and send out resumes until you're blue in the face and start to think "Is anyone actually seeing these, or what? You just have to keep slogging through it, but I know it's hell on a person's confidence.[/color]
My god, exactly, yes! It's brutal. Some days I push on through, but other days, I feel like shouting, am I invisible?? Have you even seen my resume and cover letter, or have I gotten lost in the shuffle? Hellooooo out there! :roll: And some days I can sense myself feeling defeated and losing self-confidence in my abilities. As time wears on, it feels more and more difficult to 'sell' it, to trust that I am capable and smart enough and talented enough. I know it's irrational, but the longer the silence, the worse I feel about myself. It's so brutal.

I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through it, too, Hillarie. It seems to be happening to too many people these days. Jade here on site has been dealing with that pain, too.

I hope things are turning up, Jade. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: Fingers crossed for you!

At any rate, that you (Hillarie) finally found something gives me hope. I was telling my sister yesterday that I have to believe there must be something out there for both of us, something that we're meant to be doing, and eventually, when all this economy crap settles down and things start to happen, we'll be really glad we were available for the opportunities. That's the hope I have to cling to, especially on frustrating days.

And just when I feel myself wallowing, something happens to someone else to remind me to focus my attention outward…

Jenny, I am so, so sorry about the loss of your friend. Words cannot express well enough -- I wish there were things I could say that would make it better, soothe the hurt, but I know there's really nothing that's enough. I'm glad you've found a way to express yourself, though, and write about what you're feeling. I think that's wonderful and nurturing and (I hope) comforting to you as you sort through your emotions.

Like Steph said, loss is so individual, everyone deals and heals in their own ways, so though I know what it's like to feel such terrible loss, I can't really know the depth of what you're going through at this moment. All I can say is that I understand in my own way, and I am so sorry for your loss and for the pain you and your friends and family are feeling, and I send my most comforting thoughts and warmest hugs. Let us know if you need anything. Feel free to PM, or talk more here on the Sofa. We're happy to listen if you need it. *HUGS HUGS HUGS*
word count: 627

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Jenny, I'm sorry for your loss. I know the feeling to tell someone. Had it myself.

Sherry, sorry to hear that about your sister. My fingers are crossed for her, too. Glad you liked the David/John link. You're very welcome! :)

Rebecca, so I assume you weren't at the BBC America Panels? Torchwood/Doctor Who? Which Farscape-actors did you see?

See you!
Simone.
word count: 67
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sherry, have a very nice trip to your family! Enjoy your weekend! Hope you have lots of fun!!! :)
Simone.
word count: 19

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm back, Simone! And I did have a wonderful time. Lots and lots of laughing, staying up wayyyyyy too late, having fun with my nephew and nieces (so much fun), celebrating my niece's 3rd birthday, and seeing my childhood friend in a production of West Side Story (he was really and truly marvelous; I was so proud of him!). It was a full weekend, that is for sure. And I didn't drive back into town until very late Sunday night (almost midnight) -- that was rough, I was getting tired, had to stop off halfway through the road trip for some caffeine. But it was so much fun, I was so glad to be there.

I did speak with my sister. She's in better spirits than I thought she'd be in, but then again, when I first got laid off from my job, I was often up and then occasionally down and I never knew when it would hit me. Anyway, she's focused on finding a new job ASAP, which is awesome. And she, my sister-in-law, and I had a good talk about work and jobs and job searches and volunteer work and all sorts of things, and that felt encouraging. We'll see what happens next. :think:

How was everyone else's weekend? Wonderful, I hope. :D
word count: 223

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Happy to hear that you had a great time, Sherry!
Simone.
word count: 11

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

What are you all up to, today? :D I have a long 'to do' list, but keep getting sidetracked. I guess it's one of those days where you must simply go with the flow.

As we speak... er... I mean, as we type... my oven is giving off the most wonderful spicy scent. A nice guy from my aunt's office helped me with some financial stuff, and in return he wouldn't accept payment (because he knows I'm jobless right now); instead, he requested that I bake him a carrot cake. So that is what is currently baking in the oven. I've made many a box mix, and I've made homemade cakes that were in the 9x13 shaped pan, I've made dozens of cupcakes, I've even made bundt cakes (heee, I don't know why but I love that word, bundt), but I have to say, this is the very first time I've ever attempted a round layered cake. :shock:

The cake baking portion seems quite easy (I hope it tastes good). I'm most concerned that the frosting decoration looks decent. I'm not going to go all Martha Stewart my first time out and make all sorts of piped shapes or flowers or frosting-shaped carrots or anything like that -- I'm going to keep it simple and just frost the whole thing with cream cheese frosting. Okay, maybe if it looks boring, I'll figure out some sort of decoration. But I'm not a cake decorator, so it'll still be simple. Hee. At any rate, should be an interesting experiment. *gulp*
word count: 272

JennyLea
Fan

Post by JennyLea »

That sounds wonderful. Most days I wish I could be at home. I love baking but I am a terrible cake decorator. I usually just buy the little cake decorating candies when I am finding that my cake looks too boring. Which reminds me... I better get practicing... My future mother in-law and I are baking my wedding cake and neither of us knows what to do with the top layer. I am having cupcakes which are easy, but the top cake is a real cake. Yikes!!!!

Well today is one of the days I wish I could be at home. It is another paperwork day. I am in spreadsheet hell. I'm not crazy enough to knock the fact that I still have a job. I'm actually very greatful for it. Because of the slowdown we had to cut five out four out of six of the positions here in the lab. It was really scary. I feel for all those that are currently unemployed. My fiance and I would be in some serious trouble if either of us lost our job.

Well... I better get my butt back to work... The spreadsheet won't do themselves and the longer I procrastinate, the longer I have to look at them.

Jenny
word count: 214

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I love to bake, as well, Jenny. There's just something soothing and nurturing about it, I think. And when I move into a new apartment, I usually try to bake something within the first couple of weeks after moving in, just to scent up the place and make it seem like home. :D
JennyLea wrote:My future mother in-law and I are baking my wedding cake and neither of us knows what to do with the top layer. I am having cupcakes which are easy, but the top cake is a real cake. Yikes!!!!
Will the 'real cake' be surrounded by tiers of cupcakes? Is that how you will layout your wedding cake? If so, have you thought about putting a single, specially-decorated cupcake on top of the top cake, as decoration?

Or perhaps use some sort of cake-topper? For example, my dad found a small (not too heavy) statue of a man and woman dancing together, and thought it was just beautiful -- he gave it to my sister to use as the top of her wedding cake. It looked pretty. I think the cake decorator put it on the top tier of her cake and then surrounded it with fresh flowers and greenery (or put it on a 'bed' of fresh flowers and greenery), though I'm not sure if the flowers were edible or just used for decoration.

Good luck on those spreadsheets! :mrgreen:
word count: 238