Bones 3.03 The Death In The Saddle

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 3.03 The Death In The Saddle

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey, where is everyone? I'm waiting to hear proper info about this new and odd-sounding ep that I haven't seen yet (screencaps not up last I looked: nothing uploaded onto my most frequented sites yet - very frustrating!). Especially as most of the reviews I've read elsewhere focus squarely on BB and Booth's apparently meltingly sweet speech about lovemaking at the end!

I want more. I want Angela's ludicrous-sounding hypnotism for a start. Come on guys - I'm relying on you for intelligent J/A comment!
word count: 92

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

i like this eppy but the angela getting hypnotised was kinda weird. although i love hodgela i just got a bad feeling that there going to break them up which i would be devestated if they did
word count: 37
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yeah, sounded odd that, and a little bit foreboding, I agree, when I first heard about it. I mean, well, a giant wasp. Is that just supposed to be funny, bewildering or an uncomfortable hint at a sting in the tail somewhere? Much as I hate to say it, it feels like slightly lazy and unclear writing. Thanks for the comment, blue_eyes I was starting to feel kind of lonely!
word count: 71

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Sorry Steph! I haven't had much of a chance to get online, and have only watched the episode one time--am about to watch it again before bed tonight.

The hypnotism plot line was just okay... Angela suffers much stress anticipating the session. When she's finally hypnotized, she sees a giant wasp. Hodgins is totally supportive, as usual. Finally, Angela makes a connection. The giant wasp was the illustration on the cover of the book she was reading while in Fiji. She finds the book and remembers that she stuck a wedding photo of her and the husband inside its pages. The photo shows a tall black man embracing her from behind as they stand together in front of the sunset, but his face is turned away from the camera. We find out that his first name is Gracen. Looking at the photo, Jack asks Angela if she still wants to find the man and still wants to get a divorce (Jack betrays a bit of insecurity here). Angela answers that she wants the divorce, and then she wants a wedding (awwww!). They kiss, as Jack continues to look at the photo he's holding over her shoulder for a a brief moment.

Later, Booth says his "lovemaking" speech and we see a montage of all the Squints as their lives relate to what is being said in the voice over. We see the camera focused on Angela's book and the wedding photo as they lie on a table, and then it pans up to show us Jack and Angela in the middle of a passionate kiss, and then Angela pulls Hodgins down with her and out of the camera's view--very nice scene!

Okay, I think I covered all the Jack and Angela highlights!
word count: 299
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

And very nicely indeed too. Just seen it on Youtube, bless the people who put this stuff up. And it really wasn't sleazy at all, as it could have been, in fact quite tender. The hypnotism was, as you say, ok, not too ludicrous. I still can't believe what TJ can do with just his face, before you even start to look at the body language. A reason in itself for the shearing - you can see so much more of his acting, it's mesmeric. Those Hodgela scenes were lovely. Like you, I loved that bit at the end where she pulls him inexorably down - and 'love you - Psycho' was great too. Wonder if Eileen's forgiven the writers for last week?

The more we hear about the Fiji marriage the more dubious I become about Angela's forgetting it or discounting its validity. Initially we were given the impression of a drunken jump over a broom. And now she tells us there was an 'I do' and at least one photo???!!! That sounds a bit more formal to me!

I read on tv.com that some people don't like Hodgins suddenly starting to call Angela 'Angie'. I don't mind it, to me TJ can say anything he likes and the voice will have me enraptured, but it's true he did it rather a lot, noticeably, this episode. I don't know - I guess he's entitled to a private name for her, what do you lot feel? :)

Oh yes, something I really liked. Hodgins' exultant face when he found out that 'Birimbau' means 'little flute'! So cute! All I can hope is that this nickname does not have the same rationale behind it as Sully's 'Peanut'.
:twisted:
word count: 293

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I read on tv.com that some people don't like Hodgins suddenly starting to call Angela 'Angie'. I don't mind it, to me TJ can say anything he likes and the voice will have me enraptured, but it's true he did it rather a lot, noticeably, this episode. I don't know - I guess he's entitled to a private name for her, what do you lot feel? Smile
I'm just surprised the writers didn't have him calling her that sooner. It makes perfect sense that those who are close to her would use Angie instead of Angela. I'd say it's about time! (in fact, I believe I have Jack addressing her by Angie a few times in my fanfiction...)
word count: 127

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

I'm here! Sorry it's taken me so darn long. It's been a really long and taxing week, and I've picked up two new programs on TV, as well. So that's keeping me quite busy, and I'm trying to get back onto my original forums (with you guys) while starting to post on forums for my new shows too. Yikes! Who knew that TV could keep a person so busy?

First off, the bit about Birambau ... and actually, I'm pretty sure it is used the same way as "Peanut" was for Sully (coincidentally I just finished transcribing that episode for a LiveJournal community, and I found that I really liked Sully the second time around ... and I love him and Brennan together too. Hmm. Maybe I'm not a B&B shipper at heart?? LOL). You can check out this page here: http://community.livejournal.com/bones_ ... 94427.html where Lostakasha (a really great fic writer, btw) posted a photo of a birambau. :shock:

Now, onto the episode ... it was pretty good. I did enjoy the bits with Jack, and thought TJ did an amazing job (as always) at conveying Jack's feelings. My favourite part was when Jack was parading around with his "melons", and he approached Angela to talk about the hypnotism. It was incredibly cute when he walked out and called, "I love you. Psycho," and gave her his heart-melting smile :)

I'm not sold on the "Angie" thing, either, but ... I guess it could work. I just see her as more of an "Angela", but I guess in the finale last year her rocker dad did call her Angie, so it would make it okay for Jack to do so as well.

The case was interesting, and so was the debate between Brennan and Booth about pony play, and all that other stuff. Who knew Brennan would be so worldly? LOL. I can't wait for the Halloween episode, which will air October 30th, and think that should be a hoot.
word count: 341
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

First off, the bit about Birambau ... and actually, I'm pretty sure it is used the same way as "Peanut" was for Sully (coincidentally I just finished transcribing that episode for a LiveJournal community, and I found that I really liked Sully the second time around ... and I love him and Brennan together too. Hmm. Maybe I'm not a B&B shipper at heart?? LOL). You can check out this page here: http://community.livejournal.com/bones_ ... 94427.html where Lostakasha (a really great fic writer, btw) posted a photo of a birambau. Shocked

Okay, just got back from checking out the link, Kimber, and all I can do is grit my teeth and try not to explode. I'll repeat the rant I posted on LJ--what is the fixation the Bones writers have with big dicks??? First Brennan and Angela talk about how size isn't important, and then they both squee over the fact that Sully is huge. So, we have the same thing in store for us with Angela's husband? Who's writing this crap?! As far as I'm concerned, a big one is useless. Personally speaking, my insides are normal sized, so why would I want a freak of nature?
word count: 208

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

lol
Calm down Rebecca, it can't last! There are just some writers out there who can't actually handle more subtle innuendo and are going a bit OTT. Yes, yes, sex can be funny, yadayadayada (now, 'small men have better leverage' thatwas quite amusing)- I think they should read your wonderful fanfic as some training. Humour and tenderness and passion in there - I'm a big fan, can you tell, folks?

Just in general, some of the character writing so far this season has been signally unsubtle, and I am hoping it won't verge on the unrealistic. That said, Michaela and TJ seem to be rounding off the edges of everything that's thrown in their direction, and there have been some absolutely lovely scenes with the pair of them. I just want them to find whatever his name is (Grayson was it? Even on the screencap of the back of the polaroid it is not written clearly, so I don't know what it should look like on the page) quickly, and move out of this arc. Get married already!
word count: 183

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Aww, Rebecca. I'm totally with you there. Well ... about the characters and writers and what they're doing with the characters we all love. It does seem silly, now that you mention it, that Angela and Brennan would be so transfixed on penis size at one moment, and then at another they would be talking about how it doesn't matter.

And yeah, Steph, that comment Angela made to Jack about "short men have better leverage" was super cute ... even though it was risque in sexual nature!

I do believe the husband's name was Greyson, so yeah ... let's just hope that they track him down, get the divorce, and then marry our couple already! I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm sort of growing tired of the whole chase (mostly the way the writers are handling it). It's a nice story arch, but I'm growing frustrated for both Jack *and* Angela now, and am ready for it to be over and for them to move on already!
word count: 173
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Kelly
Fan

Re: Bones 3.03 The Death In The Saddle

Post by Kelly »

Here I go again reviving an old thread, but I just saw this episode on Bones Weekends. First of all, the horse jokes were great! I'll have to try a couple on my friends at college. Going online like Brennan did will help, too.

I need to say that I agree with a lot of Booth's views on this one. There are episodes where I don't quite agree, but this one I do dead on. For those of you who have seen this episode know what I'm talking about.

I thought that Brennan's "Stop or I'll..." line was phenomenal! I wonder what would happen if I tried that line on a man I'm in pursuit of. I can just imagine the female cops hollering that to criminals around town that they chase.

Angela going in to be hypnotized was weird. I don't know if I quite believe in that technique, but what Cam said did make sense. I guess I won't know until I undergo it myself. During one of the commercials, I thought about how it would be cool if Angela would go to Cam and be hypnotized by her because she has that trust factor...or so I'm gathering so far with my watching the show so sporadically. I'm glad that the issue was solved the way it was, though. I've had dreams where I would consult a dream analysis book and it would be right.

I saw Jack peering at the wedding picture during the kiss. I thought that was cool! I felt like he was thinking, "I won, buddy! You may be a Goliath, but I'm your David!"
word count: 285

Kelly
Fan

Re: Bones 3.03 The Death In The Saddle

Post by Kelly »

Something else came to mind about this episode. The cantaloupe experiment. First of all, I like Jack's more clean-shaven look than Zack's. I like Zack better with more hair. Secondly, I agree with Jack's frustration about the difference between cantaloupe and honeydew melon. I like one and not the other. I just tolerate the other because it has nutritional value. I was excited to hear how Jack wanted to conduct the experiment and was upset with Zack for cutting him off. Third, when Jack blew up at him saying that he just sucks the life out of personal triumph, I mentally cheered. Zack definitely was not as fun in this episode as what I have seen. He blamed beeing in Iraq, but I don't know. The soldiers who came home from Iraq to visit my mom's sewing business were their cheery, joking selves. I know Zack wasn't a soldier, but...something was off.
word count: 160