Bones 3.04 The Secret in the Soil

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Bones 3.04 The Secret in the Soil

Post by KimberHodgela »

I'm trying to get this up ASAP for Steph, who won't be able to view the episode for quite some time .... :( I feel for you, Steph!

Tonight's episode was pretty entertaining. Not a whole lot of Jack/Angela moments, but the one we did get was hilarious and sweet. Lots of cute-eyed TJ, though, and lots and lots of Booth/Brennan moments.

Brennan was totally on her game in this episode - cracking jokes about bodily functions ("he who smelt it dealt it"), lecturing Booth on eating organic (because eating non-organic foods will shrink your penis), and continuing her hatred for psychiatry and psychology. The episode opens with Booth and Brennan seeing their new psychologist - who will be deciding if they should be "split up" in the future. And I've got to say (and if anybody else agrees/disagrees, please tell me!) that the actor who plays Dr. Sweets (I think that's his name ... Booth calls his "Sweets") has a voice very similar to TJ! It's strange, but when the episode began with just his voice, I honestly thought it was Jack speaking!

Now, onto the most important part (to us) - which is the one solitary Jack/Angela moment. A second body has been found and Angela has completed a sketch. When she can't find a hit on it, she's depressed and tells the group that "everybody should be missed". Jack gives her a very sweet smile, flirty eyes, and tells her she's "an angel". He moves in for a kiss, and Cam calls to them - "I will throw a bucket of cold water on you, I swear...".

I found that entertaining because it tied into the episode last year where Cam threatened much the same consequence. Also, because I'm really hoping she'll follow through at some point - and we'll see the pair covered in water ... ;)

That's about all I can recall at this point. I know there was more to talk about, but I'm in the middle of my Tuesday night run (House hour right now), and am having a hard time concentrating here. Hopefully Rebecca will get on soon and fill in any bits I've missed!

Also, don't forget to check out http://community.livejournal.com/206_bones/752604.html in the next few days, as they'll have the screencaps up for viewing![/url]
word count: 404
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hey Kimber, thanks for the recap!

I don't know about being able to contribute anytime soon, because our local affiliates are running news coverage of the fires 24/7 and preempting all the regular programming. I have hope though, because our FOX affiliate's website is running a small ad on its homepage saying that Bones will be on at a special time tonight--11:00 p.m.

So, if I do get to see the episode, I won't be posting anything until probably tomorrow. But hey, all the schools in the county are closed for the rest of the week, so I'll have nothing but time on my hands and should be able to make a few visits to this forum to post.
word count: 127
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hey, Rebecca!

I've been hearing about the fires on the news all week, and wondered how you were doing. Is your community okay? Are you far enough away from the fire that you're considered safe? I can't imagine all of those people losing their homes, being evacuated ... it sounds horrible.

Let's hope you do get a special airing of Bones tonight - and don't miss out!
word count: 70
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

And the "King of the Lab" is back! ;)

One thing not mentioned in Kimber's lovely recap was that Hodgins was trying to identify some particularly challenging bugs (over the course of a few scenes), and when the right one finally popped up on his computer screen, he lifted his hands into triumphant fists and called out quickly, "King of the Lab!" It was hilarious. I love it when shows return to little 'inside' jokes like that. Great to see it come up in a new season. And the rest of the episode I kept hoping that Zack would exclaim it after some triumph of his own, trying to outdo Jack, but ... nope. Jack Hodgins is still King of the Lab.

LMAO.

Actually, I thought there were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments in this episode. The patter between Booth and Bones was particularly entertaining tonight, especially when they were arguing over whether or not organic is the way to go. Bones knew exactly what to say to get to Booth -- she went straight for the penis comment. The look on his face when he glanced askance at her while driving... priceless.

Also, next week's episode looks really funny. Everyone in Halloween costume. Booth dressed like a nerd (or is he pretending to be a Squint?). And the Emily Deschanel 'Wonder Woman' twirling and exclamations about her bracelets getting in the way of a bullet... heeeeeee. Can't wait to see that one.
word count: 245

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hi Sherry!

Oh my, I can't believe I forgot the "King of the Lab" comment! :shock: And this is a perfect example of why it's sometimes not a good thing for a show to air FIRST out of THREE favourites! By the time 10 pm rolls around, and I'm fighting my urges to watch my new favourite, Pushing Daisies, a day early - my brain is fried and rarely recalls what happened at 7 pm!

But yes ... "King of the Lab" AND "bucket of cold water" were back! I love continuity like this ... it makes me feel like the writers are really paying attention to the storylines, and that they care about putting a little something in there that makes sense to only us long-time viewers!

Next week's Halloween episode looks fantastic, doesn't it? I can't wait! Emily as Wonder Woman is marvelous ... and I LOVED the scene with the bracelets, gunshots, and Booth! Looks like this may become a fast favourite of mine as well... :)
word count: 171

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

*clap clap*
*happy dance*
It's great to hear all this marvellous detail girls! I'll be trawling for screencaps and summaries as well, and I'll rewatch those excerpts with Lance Sweets (yeah I know...Lance! Co-stars on this show always seem to have first names that sound like surnames!) to check on the voice. I am incredulous that anyone could sound like TJ. I just love that timbre, it's musical and lovely to listen to..

EDIT. Just been to look at the new sides up for 3.11. Referencing what I said about surnames, there's a girl in it called Chandler, murder victim called Tripp. I think I could do a study on this! :wink:
word count: 119

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

FYI - screencaps are up here: http://www.bonesfansonline.com/gallery/ ... p?album=57. I know they don't replace actually seeing the episode, but now you can see how lovely everybody looked in it.

You can also view a few clips over at YouTube, but go quick, 'cuz you never know how long they'll be around. In the first and last one, you can see/hear Sweets (the psychiatrist) and tell me if I'm crazy because I think his voice reminds me of TJ's.

Clip 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOTM7FCkaY
Clip 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWgA6m-B0Q
Clip 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9cjfgeAz1E
Clip 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinR89ZwS58
word count: 124

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Yay! "Bones" was indeed aired at 11:00 p.m. in San Diego, so I was able to get it on tape and watch it today (couldn't stay up past the opening credits, I've been so tired). As I may have mentioned before, I was quite safe from the fires since I live near the downtown district and by the ocean. However, the area where I work was a hot spot, and many of my co-workers who live in our school's vicinity had to evacuate. Although the fires are still burning in many parts of our county, the area near my school seems out of danger for the time being.

Everyone did a fabulous job of recounting the highlights (TJ-lights, to be exact) of the episode. I will add the scene where Hodgins is speaking lovingly to a bug he has found on the remains--that was a riot, particularly everyone else's reaction to his raptures over the creepy crawly.

I found that I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a kiss between Jack and Angela in this episode--I've been spoiled by the last three! Hopefully we'll see some really fun action in the Halloween episode. After all, who could resist Angela in her revealing Cher costume? Or, for that matter, a dashing Captain Jack? (still think he should have been a pirate for Halloween--would fit what we know about the character better!).
word count: 246

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Kudos and thanks to Kimber! Love the screencaps, been waiting on those most of the day! I had actually clocked a couple of those youtube excerpts already, and you are right - there is a similarity of voice, though I think I could probably tell them apart. I can't work out whether it's accent or just the timbre of the voice though....hmm...

I am really looking forward to seeing TJ talking to a bug. Yet another case of him 'talking to the evidence'! I'll bet the evidence was listening enraptured.

As far as Hallowe'en is concerned (sorry, this should go in Anticipation cos it's spoilers, but too late now), well, yes, that should be great fun, though I don't envy Emily spending a whole filming session in something as chilly, restrictive and revealing as that. I suppose it's better than Zach's bovine backside though! You'll have to tell me whether the rumours I've read are true - that Naomi is the front?!! Jack and Angela are both going to look wonderful. I yearn a little after the pirate too however!

Is it just me (I'm speaking from the Cher photos), but has Michaela lost a lot of weight over the last two seasons? I'm sure she was curvier in, for example, 'The Skull In The Desert'. Don't you think so?
word count: 232

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

*jumping up and down*
ooh girls!!
Guess what? Pure serendipity. I stumbled on a site that had 3.04 and I watched it right through! I saw it not even a day after the US did! Now I can't see myself getting that lucky every time, and it was great to have your descriptions so I knew what to look for, so for goodness' sake don't stop. Actually your summaries add a lot to the experience. But for anyone (fellow UK members?) who has trouble watching the programme, I went to ovguide.com. Which has links to myriad video sites, take your pick, I went for Project Free TV.

Jack and Angela are just one big aaawwwwwwwwwwww aren't they?! And Jack with his exotic princess bug!! lol!
word count: 130

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:
As far as Hallowe'en is concerned (sorry, this should go in Anticipation cos it's spoilers, but too late now), well, yes, that should be great fun, though I don't envy Emily spending a whole filming session in something as chilly, restrictive and revealing as that. I suppose it's better than Zach's bovine backside though! You'll have to tell me whether the rumours I've read are true - that Naomi is the front?!! Jack and Angela are both going to look wonderful. I yearn a little after the pirate too however!

Is it just me (I'm speaking from the Cher photos), but has Michaela lost a lot of weight over the last two seasons? I'm sure she was curvier in, for example, 'The Skull In The Desert'. Don't you think so?
I was actually thinking that towards the end of last season. Watching the S1 episodes makes it very clear, though ... she has lost weight, and definitely was more curvy towards the beginning of the series. I still think she's gorgeous, but also feel it's such a shame when actresses feel that they have to shed pounds to make it in "the biz".

Steph, I'm so HAPPY you managed to watch the episode already! WOW! Can you bookmark this site you found, and hope that next week you'll be just as lucky? Here's hoping so...

The Halloween episode does look divine! I've seen quite a few snapshots of the cast in their outfits, and Emily's outfit is ... wow. I mean, kind of scary wow. I hope she's taped in there good and tight, if you know what I mean. :wink: I think it's quite a revealing outfit for Brennan to be wearing, but I'm sure they'll explain that somehow.

I think I was most disappointed in Jack's choice of costume. I'm hoping for some grand explanation on the choice, but I would have much rather seen him as a pirate, too! That just would have seemed more fitting, given his pirate obsession from S1. Or else he could have been Sonny Bono!

As for Zack's bovine wear - I just watched an interview with Eric Millegan where he said that Naomi is, in fact, the front half to his cow. Oops! Guess that's kind of a spoiler, but it's been alluded to, so I suppose it's really not too bad...
word count: 415

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

KimberHodgela wrote: I think I was most disappointed in Jack's choice of costume. I'm hoping for some grand explanation on the choice, but I would have much rather seen him as a pirate, too! That just would have seemed more fitting, given his pirate obsession from S1. Or else he could have been Sonny Bono!
Yes I know. :( TJ, of course, looks superb in anything, but they could have been slightly more imaginative.
In fact I think I'll put up a thread about that. :wink:
word count: 87

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

KimberHodgela wrote:FYI - screencaps are up here: http://www.bonesfansonline.com/gallery/ ... p?album=57. I know they don't replace actually seeing the episode, but now you can see how lovely everybody looked in it.

You can also view a few clips over at YouTube, but go quick, 'cuz you never know how long they'll be around. In the first and last one, you can see/hear Sweets (the psychiatrist) and tell me if I'm crazy because I think his voice reminds me of TJ's.

Clip 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOTM7FCkaY
Clip 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWgA6m-B0Q
Clip 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9cjfgeAz1E
Clip 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinR89ZwS58
i put those clips up. thanks for viewing. I'm irishcsifan on youtube by the way
word count: 141
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh, I view your stuff all the time! Thanks lots! I had a feeling I'd be familiar with people here under different names (that's why I put a 'hi and do I know you' thread in 'talk tj'). Count yourself hugely appreciated and keep it up!
word count: 48

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

Thanks so much. i have been on youtube for a year but only recently upgraded my internet (my other internet was very slow) and i can upload video's really fast.
word count: 31

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

i put those clips up. thanks for viewing. I'm irishcsifan on youtube by the way
Oh, I know you too, then! Nice to know that we're all running in the same circles, although by different names.
word count: 38

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

i'm irishcsifan on most site (live journal, youtube etc) but i felt like change when i joined here and i chose blue_eye because i have a thing for men with blue eyes (TJ of course who got the sexiest blue eyes ever) and i Pretty_green_eyes on the antibone yard but i'm irishcsifan everywhere else :)
word count: 59

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

blue_eyes wrote:i put those clips up. thanks for viewing. I'm irishcsifan on youtube by the way
Ah! Well, let me also formally THANK YOU, then! I think I've seen you around veJournal too (I'm KimberKatie). I've either visited your page, or seen you around on the 206_bones forum!
word count: 55

Kelly
Fan

Re: Bones 3.04 The Secret in the Soil

Post by Kelly »

It's Saturday and Bones Weekends again. This week's show was great!

I LOVE Lance Sweets! I'd love to be have a counseling session with him. It would be interesting what he could get out of me and what issues he could solve. I liked the ending as well when he just hinted at possible other feelings going on between Booth and Brennan. Booth fell into the trap and it was great! I loved it!

Hodgins' excitement about both the bug and compost was funny! I loved it how he claimed "King of the Lab" so quickly. It's like a competition between him and Zack, or something.

Yet again, I agree with Booth on the discussion in the car about organic foods. I know going organic is healthier and better for the environment, but I can't afford a "four dollar tomato". Booth can but chooses not to. I can't.

I don't want to spoil this episode for anyone who hasn't seen it, but I had a feeling ever since Kat entered the picture that she was the murderer. It started during the first scene when she was sitting on the arm of her mom's chair. It got stronger when she admitted to knowing about her dad seeing Emma on a regular basis. The twist was awesome! I'll stop there.
word count: 228

Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Re: Bones 3.04 The Secret in the Soil

Post by Dr.Valentine »

I agree with Bren on the organic thing haha..I'm already veggie, and I think organic is a great way to make our world last a LOT longer! Yea, it's a little bit more expensive, but that's because no one buys it. Give it another five years, when way more people are buying, it'll be almost as cheap as non organic..Trust me, just help out and buy it whenever you can
word count: 76
"Work hard, and love the work and the 'work' becomes nothing other than the love." - TJ Thyne