Bones 3.05 The Mummy In The Maze

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 3.05 Mummy In The Maze clip

Post by ThyneAlone »

Guys I know this ep is practically upon most of you, so it may be old news to some, but this clip is just priceless, look at the way it reflects the personalities!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2frvh8jCBNs&NR=1

The squints unable to do something as irrational as guesswork! Hodgins with 'I love you, but it's true(you distract me)...' and Booth raising an eyebrow until he checks it's directed Angelawards! Cam's 'Let's go, Cher' echoing the quite different context in which Caroline uses it! Booth calling Zach a horse's *ss and him responding in all seriousness: 'Cow...I'm a cow, see my udders'!! Btw he looks from this to be a whole cow, not just a back end - what no other half?

This could be a wonder(woman)ful show! The one thing that is still bugging me is Jack's costume. Not only could it have been so much more revealing and imaginative, but, cardinal sin, that hat hides his eyes! Oh NO! How are we expected to salivate when we can't see, I mean I could get seriously dehydrated. It's asking a lot even of a superb actor to make an impact when his face is partially obscured. Now where are those costume people, cos they are going to walk a loooooong plank.
word count: 227

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Yes, the clip is great fun!

Damn that Captain's uniform... you've hit precisely on why it's a bad choice--hides the eyes! Stupid, stupid writers...
word count: 28
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

OK colour me confused.

I am SURE there is a full cow walking around behind DB at the end of this clip. But this interview (good interview btw)
http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/831/831152p1.html
seems to say conclusively that Naomi is indeed the front. So who's the 'other' cow? :?
word count: 53

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Bones 3.05 The Mummy In The Maze

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hello again ladies! I thought I might as well open up this thread for discussion now, as I'm still kind of high off of Bones tonight.

In my opinion - this was the best episode of the season so far. It had humour, and romance, and lots of great moments. We learn that Booth has a fear of clowns, and Brennan a fear of snakes (which seems a bit odd to me, however, as she seemed very comfortable with the snake from Man in the Morgue). Zack seems more back to his usual self, and we learn some little-known facts about Angela! (Like she "broke the heart" of a girl named Roxy her second year in Art School, and also that she changed her name when she turned eighteen! Wonder what THIS means?).

But the best part, at least as far as us Jack/Angela shippers are concerned ... is that Angela finally proclaimed her LOVE for Jack! :D :D :D A new PI came into the picture, a female whose name I can't remember, and she is apparently very good at her job. She tracked down Angela's husband, and told them some very, very distressing news. :cry: Turns out Birambau still loves Angela, built her a house (or "a shack!" as Jack proclaims), and is waiting for her to come home to him. So in a nutshell - he's saying NO to the divorce.

But Angela remained true to her Squint, and even after the PI rudely told her that "most women go back to their husbands", Angela set the record straight, saying she loved Jack, and wanted to be with him. Awwwww....

We also saw the re-return of "King of the Lab" (a title self-bestowed upon Jack again), and some really great scenes with Jack and Cam (non-shipper). The costumes were ... wild, though there really wasn't much explanation of them. I was very, very distracted by Brennan's Wonder Woman costume, and kept hoping that her bosom was taped in tight, and wouldn't come flying out of the revealing outfit.

I'll leave a bit for the rest of you gals who have seen the episode - but suffice to say that I really enjoyed it!
word count: 370
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I thought this episode was incredibly funny.

Booth practically shrieking every time he got near that clown in the maze (well, no 'practically' about it, he really did yelp in a high-pitched voice several times, heh). Finding out that Brennan not only was Wonder Woman for Halloween but that apparently she wears that costume every year, which says something interesting about her, I think. I also like how serious she was about Wonder Woman and how much the character is clearly her favorite (also interesting, considering Brennan never watched much television and has an almost implausible lack of knowledge about such things). Regardless, her doing that awesome Wonder Woman twirl at the end of the episode was playful and really fun, especially when followed by Booth's confused "What the hell are you doing?" Heeee.

I also cracked up over Jack's repeated teasing of Zack throughout this episode.

(paraphrasing from memory, sorry)

ZACK: I will be the back end of a cow.
JACK: So... no costume.
(Zack makes a face but continues)
ZACK: ...Naomi from Paleontology's agreed to be my front.
JACK: So many jokes, so little time.

And as Kimber mentioned, the hilarious 'King of the Lab!' exclamation came back again (I can't explain it; I simply love that running joke).

I liked the Jack-Angela storyline as it continued throughout this episode, but what I didn't find funny was that private investigator's persistent messing up of Jack's last name (Hodgkins instead of Hodgins -- though I imagine that might be a writer inside joke, since most viewers probably have confused that once or twice when they started watching the show), that she continued to do it even when corrected (come on, she's clearly not a simpleton), and especially her repeated insults about Jack's looks in comparison to Angela's husband's physical appearance. It was rude, plain and simple.

And hello?! Have you seen Jack? May I present exhibit A: the Chrismas episode with the phenomenal, sit-up-and-pay-attention moment when Jack returns from the quarantine shower in nothing but a towel? My first reaction was to get all wide-eyed, reach for the pause button on the remote, and say "Hooooold on a moment. Wow. (long pause) Wow."

I am glad she made a comment about his large blue eyes though.

One curiosity: that private investigator laid it on so thick with the insults about Jack in comparison to the wonder that apparently was Angela's husband that a part of me wondered if Jack had asked her to do so, in order for him (and Angela) to see if Angela really and truly was sure about her feelings for Jack (and no longer having feelings for this forgotten husband). Angela was so adamant throughout about how she wanted a divorce and had no feelings for or about this other guy. Unwavering, really.

It was wonderful to see because I'd often feared that -- of the two of them (Jack and Angela) -- she'd be the one to lose faith or be uncertain, especially given her more 'Bohemian' approach to relationships. Now I wonder if it will happen to Jack instead. Not because he stops loving her, but because he's starting to see there's still so much he doesn't know about her, things she's either avoiding telling him, afraid to tell him, or not realizing could be important (even if she's already moved past it, herself). I think Jack probably finds the little surprises to be alluring (like that mention about Roxy), but I wonder if the bigger surprises will start to take their toll if Angela isn't the one to tell him first (like her name change -- wow).

Upon hearing about the name change, Jack had this look on his face when he said, "You never told me that..." I wonder if this issue is going to come up again later. Well, I hope so, because I'm curious about what her name used to be (especially considering the eccentricities of her father -- the name he gave her has to be unusual and potentially funny).
We learn that Booth has a fear of clowns, and Brennan a fear of snakes (which seems a bit odd to me, however, as she seemed very comfortable with the snake from Man in the Morgue).
That's right, I forgot about that! Heh. Ooops on the writer's part.

Also an ooops that I did happen to catch: At the end when Booth and the 'bad guy' are in the midst of a standoff, Booth makes a crack about how he can't believe the bad guy -- who was in the military -- missed shooting Booth when he has a scatter gun. "What were you in, the Navy?" The 'nitpick' I caught was within the bad guy's response about how -- because he was in the military -- he also knows the kind of weapon Booth would typically carry, which means he knows how many bullets Booth has left. The problem with that comment (as if he's so perceptive, he knows the kind of gun Booth would carry and how it's against Booth's advantage) -- Booth switched guns with Brennan before going after the guy, so he wasn't actually carrying his 'usual' gun. :D

By the way, I loved that Brennan finally caved on the gun issue, after she realized its power (and her inability to control it) was causing horrible problems (including accidentally shooting Booth). She actually begged Booth to take it away from her: "My gun's too big for me." That was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

Final observations: I really liked the potential groundwork laid out for future episodes. There was a little mention by Zack about something he learned while in Iraq, a subject which could (and I hope will) come up in a more direct way soon. (And now that I read that sentence back, I've very sorry about the unintentional rhyming, LOL.)

And there were repeated mentions about victims being buried alive -- at one point, Brennan and Hodgins even share a momentary look, and then Hodgins carefully and tensely changes the subject back to his own findings about the current investigation's victim. Nicely done. I can't help but feel certain that the writers are laying the groundwork for full emotional impact later, should the Gravedigger make a return appearance somewhere within this season. I appreciate that attention to detail so much, because it's been a while since Aliens in a Spaceship aired, and these little touches are subtle reminders of what happened previously, and how serious and scary and upsetting it was. They haven't forgotten or dismissed the unshakeable impact such a horrifying experience would have on both of those characters.

Okay, those are my long-winded thoughts about this week's episode. Anyone else?

Oh, and writers? Enough with the fat jokes already. I know you think it's funny, but it's not. It's actually mean.
word count: 1178

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Oh, and writers? Enough with the fat jokes already. I know you think it's funny, but it's not. It's actually mean.
Oh my gosh! I completely forgot to mention this, but it crossed my mind too! (Really! I kept a page of notes as I was watching this episode, just because every 2 minutes something else pleased me.)

I don't know what the writers are thinking, but I'm growing tired of them having Brennan make rude remarks about people's weight. It was really rough in The Man in the Cell, with Howard Epps' mother, but then tonight she cracked a joke about a woman losing weight, and I didn't even *think* that woman needed to lose weight! Jeez, Brennan, we can't all be 100 lbs like you!

Sorry, sorry. But yeah - those cracks are starting to bother me, too. I mean, Brennan does speak her mind, and I appreciate that, but do the writers really think she's that shallow that she will make fun of people in front of their faces (or make obvious comments about them)?
word count: 188
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Thanks so much girls. This sounded fantastic and then my luck held and someone posted the ep on the site I cribbed last week's from. Not only did I have all your insights to reflect on, but I got to see it myself - again! I am so lucky!

It's actually been a good day. My S2 DVDs finally arrived - with a duplicate package on its way now from Amazon! - which I shall have to return, but better a redundant one than none at all. This evening I watched the first 4 episodes of S2 before coming onto the comp to watch Mummy In The Maze. Bliss.

It is now nearly midnight, so I'll save further discussion, commentary, snippets of my life for tomorrow. Take care and many many thanks to all!! Luv ya!
word count: 136

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

You've not left me much to comment on, ladies, because I agree with every single point you've made. The crassness of the fat comments (I cringed when I read that on the sides and hoped they'd cut it), Amber Kippler's ridiculous running on about Grayson as the type of masculine beauty and denigration of Jack (if she was excited enough to take her top off, why did she not bring back photos galore of this 'hunk' rather than of his house?!), Brennan's inexplicable volte-face on snakes - I mean, that was a Big One in Man in the Morgue - the business about the gun. I too loved all the references and continuity (a reward for the long-time fans without upsetting the enjoyment of newlyacquired viewers), Naomi among them. And the clown. And Brennan's words of comfort as she knows how Booth feels about killing and has in fact experienced that guilt herself.

I too am getting uneasy with the amount Angela has concealed from Jack. A change of name seems a pretty big thing not to have come up. I hope Jack will dig deep to find out why. And girls, would you either choose or retain a middle name like 'Pearly Gates', even to oblige your dad?

I am additionally uncomfortable with the fact that, increasingly, men seem to be killed for political/financial/social/grudge reasons, while women frequently seem to be tortured and killed for someone's amusement or sexual gratification. I am troubled by the message this is conveying. It may just be an impression, especially as I have been watching a bit of the lovely Epps recently, but I don't recall seeing a man murdered for fun...

But yes, a brilliantly executed, scary but funny ep that moved all the characters forward. TV.com comrades may recall from my reviews there that I like digging around for episode themes. Well, this one was clearly all about fear and facing up to it. Literal phobias and fears of what lies within oneself. BB have begun to overcome their fear of what they clearly feel for one another, even talking jokingly about dates. They've also felt reasonbly comfortable about displaying their physical phobias to one another. In fact, by knocking down the corn maze, I thought Booth was symbolising getting past the fear to the core of things - to the truth. Jack and Angela are now a bit scared for the future (Angela is facing up to this by defiantly proclaiming her love for Jack to the rooftops. Finally), and Jack is now afraid that Angela is hiding things about herself, even more than he suspected. Mind you, I ask myself, exactly how much has he revealed about himself, his past and his mysterious family to her? Zach is talking about Iraq, which is a kind of facing up to what could have been a very traumatic few months.

The costume choices were interesting, too. We had two powerful and even somewhat aggressive superheroines there and it was a realistic rivalry (great bit at the end with Bren doing the Wonder Woman twirl!). Also a nice retrospective to the S2 scene where Booth tells Cam that she is a 'Dog person trying to herd cats'. Maybe it shows that Cam has come a long way - she still wants to be at the top of the pyramid, but she understands the feral cats a lot better, is more relaxed and is trying to be one of them! Booth, on the other hand, got in touch with his inner squint this episode - hence the squealing in the maze. It was intriguing that he actually lost the alpha male feel completely, revealing something on the inside we didn't know about. Angela, well, she wants to project an extrovert and strong persona, but hides important things behind it (her headdress prevents them from seeing the screen!). And then there's Zach and his need for completion - but not necessarily from Naomi. I don't know about Jack. He was an anomaly among them. I really didn't think the outfit said much about his personality because he covered everything up, including those gorgeous eyes - and he isn't really the type to wear any kind of uniform anyway, he's a rebel. And I don't like the idea that he's going to go down with his ship!

In spite of Amber being irritating and bizarre as PIs go, I did like her because I like Azura Skye. She did her brief stint on Buffy consummately well and she has a strange quirky quality and an unusual but attractive appearance which appeal to me (oddly, I get that feeling about Zooey Deschanel too). I hope we see a bit more of her.

A minor quibble. What on earth happened to the time frame? You're telling me Booth and Brennan got back to the lab before stopping to clean themselves up, but after reporting the death, having the body removed, returning Megan to her parents, getting Booth checked out and treated for his gunshot wound, presumably being interviewed in detail - and the party is still going on? And that they are even contemplating going to it? I don't think so!

Oh dear, my thoughts have taken up considerably more space than I'd anticipated. As usual. Trust the ramblings conveyed something, folks! See you soon.
Last edited by ThyneAlone on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 906

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Sorry it took me so long to get online since the episode--celebrated Halloween pretty heavily last night, and just managed to get through the day with 30 sugar-saturated children...

I have to say that this episode pissed me off royally. Sherry pretty much sums up my most negative feelings about the episode:
I liked the Jack-Angela storyline as it continued throughout this episode, but what I didn't find funny was that private investigator's persistent messing up of Jack's last name (Hodgkins instead of Hodgins -- though I imagine that might be a writer inside joke, since most viewers probably have confused that once or twice when they started watching the show), that she continued to do it even when corrected (come on, she's clearly not a simpleton), and especially her repeated insults about Jack's looks in comparison to Angela's husband's physical appearance. It was rude, plain and simple.
I thought the PI's behavior was over-the-top. and the rational that she was doing all this to help Jack a load of crap--or at the very least poor writing. I wanted to drive to LA and strangle the writer who wrote the line for the PI where she says "Ewwww..." regarding Jack as a romantic partner.

Although Angela repeatedly said she wanted the divorce and loves Jack, I still have a bad feeling about this whole set-up of the husband plot. I predict unhappily that we're going to have to watch Angela doubt her love for Jack when she actually comes face to face with the amazing husband. Anyone want to lay money down?

My final peeve is that we really didn't get to see the squints in their costumes for very long--only Brennan and Booth. There was no comment by Jack at seeing Angela's costume. They barely interacted during the costume phase of the episode. I don't think we ever got a full length view of Angela's outfit, either.

Sorry I'm so pissy about this episode, gals...
word count: 347
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

begolden wrote: Sorry I'm so pissy about this episode, gals...
Nononono...everything you say is perfectly fair. I liked the ep overall, but in spite of all this.
begolden wrote:I thought the PI's behavior was over-the-top, and the rationale that she was doing all this to help Jack a load of crap--or at the very least poor writing. I wanted to drive to LA and strangle the writer who wrote the line for the PI where she says "Ewwww..." regarding Jack as a romantic partner.
Well, as I said, I like Skye, but she was struggling with some inordinately inane dialogue. Redolent of some of the worst of the end of S2, when we were wanting real people but not, on the whole, getting them. And the 'ewww..' was certainly gratuitous. She wasn't 'testing' anyone with that little expostulation.
begolden wrote:Although Angela repeatedly said she wanted the divorce and loves Jack, I still have a bad feeling about this whole set-up of the husband plot. I predict unhappily that we're going to have to watch Angela doubt her love for Jack when she actually comes face to face with the amazing husband.
Sadly, I am beginning to feel this way too; a kind of 'the lady doth protest too much' scenario. Hence my comments about fear.
begolden wrote: They barely interacted during the costume phase of the episode. I don't think we ever got a full length view of Angela's outfit, either.
Just as a general comment, they are at times shutting the squints out to favour BB, and this does affect interaction within the whole 'family'. They need to recognise that the strength of the show lies in the group and to utilise the excellent actors they employ, who are frankly getting inadequate screen time at the moment.
Well, now I've agreed with the good and the bad points everyone has made. Honestly, I'm as changeable as the British weather. But it is really enriching my watching experience, so keep it up!
word count: 347

Kelly
Fan

Re: Bones 3.05 The Mummy In The Maze

Post by Kelly »

Bones Weekends again...don't know if I'll be able to continue this since college is starting back up in two days. Here's this week's review from me.

I identify with the theme of this episode. I have a phobia and fun houses aren't "fun" for me. The darkness alone scares me because of my vision issues and then something popping out of the darkness scares me even more.

I liked how Booth busted down the hay bales in order to get the gang where they needed to go. He did it so matter-of-factly.

The Hodgela Saga continues...Hodgkins? Ooh! :x Mispronunciations REALLY bother me! I've dealt with it all my life and I hate it!

I recognized Gregg, the "Grim Reaper". Rider Strong from Boy Meets World. I wasn't much of a fan, but he's recognizable every show or movie he turns up in.

I liked everyone's costumes. Maybe I'm being too over-analytical, but could their choices reflect their personalities or secret dream personalities? I don't see how a forensic anthropologist would want to be the back end of a cow, though. It could be symbolic of some sort, like Freudian.

I don't know if I quite agreed with the pastor's methods, but in a way it made sense.
word count: 224