Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

My next vacation is the last week in November, around our Thanksgiving Holiday. Most school's only give a half week holiday, but our district gives us the whole enchilada--for which we are truly grateful! We also get a three day weekend earlier in November for Veteran's Day.

Hope you don't mind Steph and Kimber, but I've nominated the two of you as candidates for the Moderator job (I pm'd the Management Team). You both seem to know the most about websites, and I know and trust both of you and think you'd be fabulous in the position!
word count: 104
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi Rebecca,
I thought you were the baby admin??? lol
I've just read the Management Team newsletter. I'm very flattered that you think I'd be good in this job, but I do think it might be better to have a couple of people in charge rather than one. I am a fairly experienced Mod, but admins have a lot more power and usually need a bit more website savvy than I have. I might need a bit of training! Happy to be nominated though.

I will try to be in touch a lot more this fortnight and hopefuly when you are off too, depending on how hectic school is. My friendships here mean a lot to me. Take care now. x
word count: 124

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Any room on the sofa tonight?

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, ladies (and potential gentlemen)!

Just wanted to slip in for a moment, say hello, and let you know I'm visiting and trying to be around here and there. :D I'm not even sure when I last posted, things have been so crazy busy.

As you may recall from previous posting, a small group from a company in India will be taking over our positions when our division officially closes, so for the last three weeks, I've been training two guys on how to do different parts of my job. Basically, they'll be splitting up the work I do between these two guys. So it's been non-stop talking and answering questions for three weeks, walking them through my processes, step by step.

I've got to say, it's exhausting. To be so mentally focused all day long, all week long, talking almost all day long, and concentrating very hard so that I answer all their questions thoroughly and in an understandable manner ... I go home at night and on the weekends and can't wait to NOT TALK. At all.

The guys I'm training are very smart, attentive and thorough, which is both great and exhausting. Great, because they learn quickly; exhausting, because they ask a ton of questions and I have to explain every detail as thoroughly as I possibly can. Some of my colleagues say they have struggled with their trainees because of heavy Indian accents, but I have to say, that hasn't really thrown me. I can understand my trainees; their English is just fine. What I struggle with is that these two guys word things in a completely different way sometimes, so when they ask me a question, I have to pay very close attention to what they're actually asking, so I don't give them the wrong answer. To be that mentally 'on' all day long is draining.

I don't mind doing the training -- these guys are really nice, and it's not their fault our jobs are being outsourced. What I've been struggling with these past weeks is the lack of organization from our management. They're just not on top of things. The trainees came into town and got training schedules (who they'd be paired with on what types of accounts), but we -- the trainers -- were not sent the schedule. When we finally did get it (and several revisions of it), I noticed overlapping (ie, I was scheduled to be training two different people about two different types of accounts at the same time, and so were some of my colleagues). When I pointed it out, my transition manager just said, oh, you can just have one sit somewhere while you work with the other for an hour or two, and then switch. *eye roll*

Then, we kept getting different instructions -- from three different managers -- regarding what they each felt was top priority, so we all felt like we were being pulled in too many directions. But none of my coworkers were saying anything; they were just getting upset privately but not speaking up to the managers.

So, finally, I lost my temper (mildly) and told one of the managers that they (the 3 managers) needed to get together and come up with a cohesive decision on what is to be first priority during this transition... because the way they were doing things, we had to start one project, then stop it, and start another for the other manager, and then stop that one, and start a third or fourth project for the third manager, all the while we're also supposed to be training all day long, so basically we were swamped with work yet nothing was getting done (and training was getting behind, and still is, for all of us). It was stressing everyone out, and they felt like they'd never get it all done unless they worked 24/7. Case in point, one night I worked until 1 AM. And this past week I stayed until 10 PM a couple of days, just to try to catch up on all the things I've gotten behind on because my entire day is made up of training, which slows down my ability to actually get my job done.

Whoosh.

On top of all that, the way the managers have our final three weeks scheduled... *shakes head* I truly think the final transition could be a big mess. The way it's scheduled, the trainees will go back to India at the end of this month, around Nov. 1 or 2. Our last day is technically November 9. Which means the trainees will only have from Nov. 5 through Nov. 9 to try to do our jobs all by themselves, from India. That's one week. Five days.

What if -- upon their return to India -- they have computer access problems? Any company that's ever started using new programs, or even just changed their password at the start of a new month, sometimes has access issues as a result. Right now, the trainees can't access many of the programs they'll need to access in order to do these jobs -- security, passwords, and authorization aren't ready yet. And that usually takes a bit of time to correct. Plus, if they have any questions whatsoever regarding the job, they'll only have one week to ask us, and then we'll be gone and they'll be on their own.

I'm training them as thoroughly as I possibly can, but even the smartest person can have a momentary lapse where their brain goes, "Okay, now how do I do this part again?" You can understand it perfectly when you have help standing right over your shoulder, but when it comes time to do it all by yourself for the first time, sometimes you can do most of it, but get stuck in a spot or two, and need a little assistance. The schedule does not give these poor trainees that much time to contact us if they need that little reminder. As well, we won't be around for them to complete a full cycle of what we do for our jobs from the beginning of the month through to the start of the next one. We'll be leaving the company right in the middle of things. Plus, the few that will be staying behind until February don't know how to do my job, or the jobs of a few of my coworkers (and have already noted as much to Management, only to be told it will be fine), so if my trainees or my coworkers' trainees have any questions beyond that first week in November, we won't be here and no one else will be able to help them.

I know I shouldn't care, because I'll be gone and it won't be my problem anymore, but I don't like the way Management is handling things. I think it's unprofessional and inefficient, as well as badly scheduled and poorly planned. I think scheduling things this way is making a potential mess, all in the name of cutting costs and showing Upper Management that they don't need to give the India company more than six weeks transition time (even though they asked for 12, for thorough training and making sure everything transitions smoothly). I even tried to point out some of the areas where there could be big problems (and where there are already big problems), but Management isn't taking me seriously. They're not listening, so I guess they only have themselves to blame if it falls apart after we're gone. Still, I have a feeling they'll blame us anyway.

Anyway, imagine my laughter when I was watching an episode of Bones season 1 the other week, during all this chaos, and Booth said this:

"This is me accepting reality. My superiors... they make the decisions, Bones, all right? If they don't think them through, that's really not my problem."

Heeeeee. Thank you. A little bit of wisdom from Booth, a little reminder kick in the head. :D I keep trying to say to myself, not my problem, not my problem, if they don't listen to what I notice is going to be an issue... not my problem. It's really hard not to get frustrated sometimes, though.

Okay, enough of my ranting and rambling!

How are the rest of you? I hope all is well, and that things are going smoothly and joyfully.

I'll try to log on sometime this week after the new Bones episode airs, and comment about that. Much more fun than this work frustration topic, that's for sure. ;)

Until next time... be well, everyone.

Sherry
word count: 1479

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have got to say I am full of admiration for you, Sherry. To still care, when you have been treated in such a atrociously confusing and reprehensible manner is laudable. Though I can see where you're coming from; the trainees deserve your full attention and shielding from the dreadful mess your management seems to be making of the transition period - it's not their fault - and of course, after devoting so much time to a job you will want it to be done with the same efficiency once you go. The utter physical exhaustion and mental fatigue you must be going through, however, cause me concern, and I am glad you have places like this to come and vent your stress. We'll always listen! And yes, Booth's little speech there appears eerily apt for your situation. I hope the last couple of weeks are less of a horrible, muddling blur.
Thinking of you.
Steph x
word count: 159

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Southern California fires rage on...

I am home today due to the fact that one of the larger fires in San Diego County is located in an area that includes my school's neighborhood in Rancho Penasquitos. Luckily, I live 25 miles away by the beach, so I don't have to worry about my home like many of my students and fellow teachers. My parents, in Poway, are near the evacuated area but not in it. An area that borders Poway (Rancho Bernardo) has been the hardest hit at this time. My parents are just waiting and hoping that the fires don't come their way. We went through this four years ago with the Cedar Fire. My step-brother and his family, who live in the mountain community of Julian, lost their house in that fire. They have since rebuilt, and fortunately the fires are not in their area this time.

So, I have a day off--possibly more. I wanted a vacation, but not this way! Even here by the beach there is ash covering everything outdoors and the smell of smoke is distinct. Time to stay inside and keep all the windows shut. Damn this neverending drought!
word count: 201

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I am completely ashamed to say that I knew about this but hadn't mentally made the connection with you! That's the trouble with cyberspace, distances and locations seem unreal. I'm so sorry you are having such a miserable and worrying time. This happened to some Australian friends of ours during relatively recent bush fires and frankly it was horrible, really frightening and stressful. I'm thinking of your students and friends, Rebecca, but I also fervently hope that this awful business does not touch you or your family this time.

It's not the way I would like to gain a vacation either.
:(
word count: 106

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh, Rebecca... :(

I've been watching the news this morning, all the coverage about the wildfires. No matter what ridiculousness or stress I'm going through, it's just a job. But this is frightening, a disaster almost entirely out of people's control. I truly hope that you, your family, and your students and their families remain safe and as untouched as possible by these fires. I hope rain and whatever else you need come very soon.

I have got to say I am full of admiration for you, Sherry. To still care, when you have been treated in such a atrociously confusing and reprehensible manner is laudable. Though I can see where you're coming from; the trainees deserve your full attention and shielding from the dreadful mess your management seems to be making of the transition period - it's not their fault - and of course, after devoting so much time to a job you will want it to be done with the same efficiency once you go.
That's very sweet of you to say, Steph. :D

Honestly, I can't seem to help it. This morning I woke up at 5 AM and I simply couldn't turn my mind off from it all. I kept thinking about all the things I still need to tell my trainees, last-minute helpful things I wasn't told back when I first took on these accounts (so I know how important it is to give them as much information as I can). I want them to be as prepared as possible, but at the same time, I don't think Management appreciates/understands that this kind of knowledge and recognition of the process flow takes time.

Last year when I flew to Seattle for 2 weeks and learned how to work these accounts, I remember taking a ton of notes, but also hitting a wall at one point, feeling very glassy-eyed and brain-full. I'm starting to see that look in the trainees. It wasn't until I went back home and began to do the work by myself, taking the process step by step, that new questions popped up. That's why I'm afraid Management simply hasn't given these people enough time to digest it all and still come back to us with new questions (after they go back to India and start trying to do it on their own). The idea that they will only have one week to do so, and then we'll be gone and unable to answer any more questions... it just doesn't seem right. Management will be able to answer general questions about these accounts, but not help with the specifics of how to do the work.

*sigh* What do I know? In my job, I'm apparently just a 'squint.' ;)
The utter physical exhaustion and mental fatigue you must be going through, however, cause me concern, and I am glad you have places like this to come and vent your stress. We'll always listen!
Thanks very much for that. *smiles warmly* So far, I'm doing okay. I try to pay attention to how I'm feeling. If I get overly stressed out, I try to remind myself to take a break and 'just breathe.' If I get exhausted or start to feel run down, I try to go to bed early and take lots of vitamin C and eat healthy foods, in order to avoid getting sick.

It's not easy, especially when I start to get overwhelmed that there's simply not enough time to cover everything that I want to tell (or provide to) my trainees. And I find that each morning I get up feeling relatively positive but by the time I arrive at work, I feel the dread of walking up the stairs to my cube, already feeling drained at the thought of another day at this place, talking and answering questions and having to be enthusiastic and mentally 'on' all day long. Fortunately, that feeling subsides for the most part because I jump right in and start training first thing in the morning, which keeps me focused on that task, rather than wallowing or letting the stress get to me.

Regardless, I do get very tired, but I'm just going to have to muscle through until it's all over. My only hope is that I find a good, new job relatively soon, and that I won't get sick (as part of the exhaustion and release from stress that may occur when the current job is finally over), preventing me from starting that new job with energy and enthusiasm.
word count: 782

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hello all,

Haven't heard if any of my coworkers have lost homes, but I have one displaced friend, her son, and their cat who showed up last night for a place to sleep. My parents have been lucky, as their area of Poway remains unscathed by the fire. Looks like I might have the whole week off after all...
word count: 60

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Getting back on a Bones topic, our network affiliates have been playing fire coverage nonstop since yesterday morning, causing all regularly scheduled programming to be preempted. I have the feeling that this will continue through tonight. So, where does one go to watch Bones when your local TV station isn't broadcasting it?
word count: 53

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, quite, I'm going to have probs next few weeks too, as I think I have stated elsewhere (bones forum). I guess at least you have access to the Fox Bones MySpace where they put it on the following day or some such - not sure, UK viewers don't have access!. I hope you manage to see it. It sounds to me like your world seriously needs some normality in it at the moment...still thinking of you, and hoping your parents and friends remain safe.
word count: 87

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi gang.
Since this is sofa time and we can be offtopic and talk a bit about what's happening to us, I just want to say to Rebecca, thank goodness things are easing up around your area. We've been so worried. I heard this morning on the news that they reckon some of these fires were started deliberately! There are some sad sickos on the planet, there really are.

I've been out with the family to Leeds for the day, which is only a 2 hour drive. It's the first time we've been up to see our elder son in his new environment as a university student. I want to maybe go up there for longer next time and have a better look around, there's plenty of culture and some beautiful architecture, but of course the only bits he knows are the pubs and clubs! Also we were somewhat limited in our walking because the younger boy has a nasty football injury (sprained knee) and is on crutches and out of physical exertion for a month.

All of a sudden I seem to have turned into a stereotype concerned mother, and I don't like it one little bit - it makes me feel too old! I haven't seen David for a month and a half and suddenly he's wan, pimply and tired, carrying round a bad cold and an eye infection. He is not sleeping enough, eating decently or getting enough fresh air and exercise - obviously because he has been settling in, doing all the social things and trying to balance them with work. It's lovely to see him, but he really is thoroughly run down and I hope I haven't been lecturing him to the point of becoming objectionable. He seems to be coping well with the everyday nuisances such as washing, ironing and cleaning, though. I was expecting his room to be much more of a tip than it actually was. Maybe because I have just spent a full two days at home (and two full garbage bags) clearing out his bedroom. Dug up some wonderful stuff. TV listings from 2 years ago. Two of his Dad's lost screwdrivers. Six pencil cases, all containing something! Books borrowed long ago from school. It was all a bit like Hodgins and his compost heap, only presumably less smelly! Anyway - it's done now and I can tell him where everything is located and even that he has 2 free drawers and one free section in his wardrobe. Motherlove knows no bounds!
word count: 432

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

This has been a supremely stressful day. :|

I'm feeling very aggravated right now. Probably doesn't help that I've been at work almost 12 hours, I haven't had dinner, I'm very hungry, and my managers are NOT LISTENING to anything I have to say even though it's about imperative issues involving the transition (and it IS important stuff I'm telling them; it's not something silly that can wait... I have no time to worry about the silly stuff right now).

There's so much to be done before the trainees go back to India, and we only have one more day to do it while they're still here (they're flying back on Friday). Plus, it's month end so there are specific tasks that have to be completed at this time, and we're scrambling to get it all done. Everyone's staying late. Everyone's flustered and harried.

I was doing fine (generally). All these crazy weeks I've kept very focused on everything that needed to get done. All of a sudden today... I don't know what changed, but something shifted and now I'm all tense and stressed out and overwhelmed. I don't know whether to scream, cry, or punch something. I'd like to do all of the above, but instead I'm simply sitting here in my cube, trying to push past the frustration and keep working on what needs to be accomplished. I'm getting stuff done but I'm feeling incredibly tense the whole time I'm doing it. I may cry.

Damn it.

Okay, rant over. Gotta get back to work.

Thank you very much for indulging me and my tirade.

Let's now slap me out of my selfishness and self-centeredness: How is everyone else doing?

Rebecca, has it been safe for you to return to work? Did everyone make it through okay? Every time I see a news report about the fires, I think about you. I hope everything is okay and getting back to normal.

Sherry
word count: 349

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sherry.
We are here to support and listen to you. That's what like-minded friends gathered together do. Do not consider yourself self-centred when we all know just how much you've been struggling to help other people in the last few weeks, and at what cost to your own health and sanity. Sometimes it's impossible not to let off steam and this is a safe haven in which to do it, so just lay yourself down on that sofa and I'll get you a drink and do a bit of listening.

I have this theory that fear and stress and anger are all about loss of control. All of us are control freaks in the sense of needing to have some order in our lives. We need to be able to make sense of and be master of the structures and situations about us (and even our own bodies). At the most extreme level, clinical depression, from which my other half has suffered, seems to contain an element of loss of the reins, as if we are being buffeted by life with no power over anything. And of course you are getting increasingly worked up over the time when you will no longer be able to control what is going on and when all the hard work you have put into creating efficient structures may be lost in chaos, because of other people over whom, again, you have no power.

One thing that helps is to try to get control back over little areas of life like daily routine - make sure you make specific decisions about yourself 'I am going to eat something at some time today whatever happens - I am important' or 'I am going to make a choice about what music I listen to or the TV I watch rather than just let it happen around me' or 'I am definitely going to do such and such a thing at such and such a time tomorrow' or 'I am going to put aside time to pamper myself/relax'. Or even, for you, 'I am going to write something for my own enjoyment' - see why the LJ page is a great idea? It takes great self-discipline but it does stop the s*** from taking over.

Good luck and I hope the last day sees some progress and helps you to feel more optimistic.
word count: 400

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sorry to give you all such huge areas of blinding yellow to look at, but it did not seem appropriate, while trying to help Sherry, to do what I originally came for - to tell you all about my incredibly lucky day yesterday. Our student son David has been invited back to school for our big-deal presentation Speech Day ceremony in the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall in 2 weeks, because he won a prize (a book of his choice) for languages during his last year at school. The invitation was delayed because of our postal strikes, which meant buying a book pretty quickly and handing it in to school so that it can be inscribed before the Big Day. I went into Liverpool on Tuesday to try and get his requested translation of Dante's 'Inferno' - he's just doing some beginners' Italian to supplement his French course - no luck, we have no bookshops with a good enough languages section.

Wednesday was my hubby's day off (he teaches part-time) and I am still on half-term holiday, so we decided to go off to Manchester for the day and try our luck there. It was magic! One of those days where a train rolls up as soon as you walk onto the platform. We had a good browse through the massive Waterstone's bookshop there and got the Inferno first thing, as well as a couple of books for ourselves: moved on to Forsyth's the big music shop, and purchased ourselves some CDs, a mini-score of the Elgar cello concerto for Ian (he adores following music in score and is an Elgar fanatic) and a collection of Brecht/Weill songs for me, then over to HMV for some DVDs (annoyingly, they had thousands of copies of the S2 DVDs), an excellent meal, back out to Marks and Spencer to spend the vouchers my mum gave me months ago on 2 new pairs of trousers and a scarf, then home to find that my S2 set had finally arrived! So I spent the evening indulging in Bones and then, late yesterday night, found that someone had posted Mummy in the Maze on a video site!

Not gonna have another day like that in a hurry! Talk about retail therapy! And it's such a luxury to have a proper day with Ian, just the two of us. I thoroughly enjoyed it all and am actually starting to feel like I'm on holiday in spite of the schoolwork I've had to do. Make the most of it I guess. It's going to be a hard slog up to Christmas now.

Steph x
word count: 446

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Steph -- Congratulations to your son on his achievement! Sounds like a wonderfully appropriate prize for someone keen on languages, too. You must be a very proud mom.

To all of you who are teachers -- I have to give you a big round of admiration. Last week, we not only had to informally 'assess' our trainees ourselves but we also had to come up with a good number of test questions covering a wide range of what we'd taught during training. Those questions were turned in to our managers and given to the trainees as part of a larger test of their knowledge. I found it challenging to come up with a wide range of questions, worded appropriately with the right amount of difficulty, though I did have a bit of fun playing with the styles of questions (true & false, multiple choice, essay, matching, fill in the blank, etc.).

In fact, to see if one of my managers was paying attention (or if she had a sense of humor), I made one of my multiple choice answers "Go get a cup of coffee" (in the midst of real, potential answers to the process question at hand). Hee. Couldn't help myself. I even threw in some (I hope) challenging 'bonus' questions to really test them. My coworker Elaine and I spent several hours working together, coming up with proper questions, and we found it difficult at times. ('Course it could be because we were working at an extremely late hour, and we were both getting so 'punchy,' we couldn't stop giggling to the point of almost hysteria. You know how it is when it's late and you're overtired and something silly gets said and suddenly you can't control your laughter? That's the state we were in during the tail end of our work at creating those questions.) At any rate, all that work certainly gave me a larger appreciation for teachers out there and what you do on a daily basis. It's not an easy task. My hat's off to you! :D

And hey -- they got their results back yesterday and one of my trainees told me that he got the highest grade of everyone in the group! 106%! (Must have been those bonus questions that put him over the 100% cap. Heh.) Even though my trainee is incredibly bright (and learns relatively quickly), that news immediately made me worried that my questions hadn't been difficult enough, but he said that it's because I trained him 'very well.' I hope that's true. I don't want to send off anyone feeling unprepared or lost.

Today's their last day with us. Then they'll be heading back to India, and we'll have one week left of work on our own, wrapping up all the last minute odds and ends, as well as supporting the India team from afar (should they have any questions regarding their work). I feel there's so much left to do in this final week and a half before I'm done with this company. Perhaps that's what got me so overwhelmed yesterday. I already had a three-page list I'd written out, listing all the tasks I felt I needed to accomplish before it's all over -- that list gave me some semblance of control and focus, because I could look to it, see what needed to be done, and mark things as completed, moving on to the next task. But yesterday (because it was month end and our 'normal' everyday tasks for that time period still needed to be done), I got a ton of emails and calls and people coming to me with questions and issues that they each wanted to be addressed immediately. I felt bombarded, and my organized list went right out the window, leaving me feeling flustered and overwhelmed as to what I should tackle first.

Thank you again for giving me the space to blow off some steam about all this chaos. At a time when I'm extra tired and not taking care of myself as well as I could, as I try to make it through the final week and a half and all the things that are bound to come up in what I anticipate will be a last-minute rush, I really appreciate the support. It gives me strength to stay optimistic and push forward.

Okay, off I go to finish getting ready for work. Hope you all have a splendid Thursday, wherever you are!
Last edited by Sinkwriter72 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 763

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

JULY 25, 2008

X-FILES 2

(I'm deliriously happy :D :lol: :D )
word count: 10

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Tell me more, tell me more, Rebecca! :D The only thing I've heard is that it's been greenlighted to start filming (starting in December?). Do you have any other information?

PS. I don't know if this is something that would interest you, or any other X-Files fans, but my friend Bardsmaid forwarded to me a link to an XF community on LiveJournal, one that is apparently going to watch one XF episode a week and have discussions. They've already started (on 10/13, get it?) -- I think they're up to either Squeeze or Conduit, but I haven't had a chance to watch or comment yet. Here's their link, for anyone interested in a good chat:

http://community.livejournal.com/trustno1_redux/profile

or

http://community.livejournal.com/trustno1_redux/
word count: 136

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sherry, I think that 'Go get a cup of coffee' is a perfectly reasonable option. Many's the time I have gone off to relax and think about a decision before I do anything, and there's nothing like a chat with a friend to straighten out the mind and bounce ideas off others. Just go and have the coffee first would be my thought..
And I don't even want to get started on this:
Sinkwriter72 wrote:that news immediately made me worried that my questions hadn't been difficult enough
Ouch! They really have ground you down into an inferiority complex, haven't they?! Stop it! Believe the student; a reaction like that is rare and precious.

I can see we're going to have major XF discussion here. Seeing as I enjoyed it early on but lost interest after the first couple of seasons (I think it was just that I could visualise the arc going on forever!), I'm going to have problems reminding myself of it. Bear with me. I did like the first film and will be interested to see what happens here!

PS That discussion forum sounds exactly like what we were doing over on tv.com over the summer holidays and the experience was enriching, inspiring some really interesting thoughts. I'll keep an eye on that.
word count: 225

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Thanks for the links, Sherry! It will be the summer of X-Files all over again (something to do while Bones is on summer hiatus). GAWs (Official Gillian Anderson Website) has the article that mentions the opening date. Check out the link:

http://www.gilliananderson.ws/news/

I'm a little worried about the line, "The studio's news release said only that 'the supernatural thriller is a stand-alone story in the tradition of some of the show's most acclaimed and beloved episodes, and takes the always-complicated relationship between Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions.'"

What do they mean, "unexpected directions"? I hope that doesn't mean they won't be together as a couple... After waiting all those years for the proverbial ship to sail, I would hate to see CC and Co. backpedal on the relationship.
word count: 145

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Glad you liked the links, Rebecca!
What do they mean, "unexpected directions"? I hope that doesn't mean they won't be together as a couple... After waiting all those years for the proverbial ship to sail, I would hate to see CC and Co. backpedal on the relationship.
Hmmm... ominous statement, indeed. Here's a question: did you like the first film? I liked it enough, but I did feel (in certain parts, especially) that it didn't feel exactly like the Mulder and Scully we were used to from the TV program. They seemed a bit different. Maybe it was just me. :D

I'll be very curious to see how they decide to approach the two characters and their relationship for this film. I'm a teeny bit concerned. Especially because I imagine after all this time away from the show, it might take a bit for Chris Carter and the actors to find their groove, you know what I mean? To write and play the characters with all the facets that had been built within the show itself, instead of falling into some strange new character mode that really isn't Mulder or Scully.
Ouch! They really have ground you down into an inferiority complex, haven't they?!
Oh, I'm sure that complex was there far before they came along, but no, they didn't help things.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post thoroughly in a while -- I missed this week's episode because my recorder taped the wrong thing (okay, I may have been too tired and actually, accidentally, set it that way, LOL). I've missed the conversations and the opportunity to reply to all your lovely posts throughout the forum.

I can't believe it's Wednesday already. I've got two days left and then I'm done here at this company. It's been a strange week. On Monday I sent my usual reports to my departments for the last time, and included thank you's to all the members (and separate special thank you's in emails to the ones with whom I had a close relationship). I was fine typing the general thank you's and providing them with the information about who they'd need to contact in my absence. But when I typed up the 'thank you' to my favorite group, I found myself getting teary and a bit overcome. And they responded in kind when they got my message.

There's still so much to do in these final two days. I'm trying to let things go, trying not to stress myself out, because it's impossible for me (or any of us) to get it all done. I'm trying to remind myself that it's not me who set this impossible, ridiculous schedule -- it's the company, and they have only themselves to blame for not listening to us (those who knew it would be too tight and last-minute of a timeframe for all this to be accomplished).

The trainees from India went back home last Saturday, and this is their first week doing everything on their own. As I expected (and warned my bosses), they have many questions, now that they're away from our over-the-shoulder guidance; they're mixing up a few things here and there (again, not surprising -- they can't be expected to have everything down perfectly); and they're having major computer issues as they log into programs and onto servers for the first time. Lots of access problems, slowed servers, and inability to get their systems to work. So the one week they get where we'll still be around to help them, they can't even do their actual work in order to ask us for help if/when they need it, because the systems aren't working. Lots of wasted time.

My coworkers kept saying to me today: you told them (our managers and bosses), you told them that this would happen but they didn't listen to you. I'd love to feel some sort of gratification that they did this to themselves, but it really bothers me because I want things to go smoothly for my trainees. The mess that's currently happening is not helping them one bit.

I haven't even found time to start cleaning out my desk yet. And I'm not even sure what I'm feeling -- I'm in this state of focus (on getting as much completed as I can) and exact opposite, lack of focus (where I find myself saying, whatever, I don't care, it'll get done if it gets done).

This is a very strange week.
word count: 791