Cooking Bones Style

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
jusbcuzz
Fan

Cooking Bones Style

Post by jusbcuzz »

So I was messing around tonight and found a recipe that I had tucked away on recipezaar.com.

Severed Fingers Halloween Cookies - makes 30 cookies
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring
    30 blanched almonds
    2 large eggs
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    5 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 pinch salt
    1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
  • 1)Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with Silpats (French nonstick baking mats) or parchment paper, and set aside.
    2)Place food coloring in a shallow bowl. crack each whole almond into halves. and toss them into the bowl with the food coloring and stir them until the color is evenly distributed. leave them in the bowl and stir them every so often until the color is as dark as you like.
    3)Separate 1 egg. Set aside the white. In a small bowl, whisk together yolk, remaining egg, and vanilla. Set aside.
    4)In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, confectioners' sugar, granulated sugar, and salt. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Add egg mixture, and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic, and chill until firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
    5)Divide the dough in half. Work with one piece at a time, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and chilled. Divide the first half into fifteen pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece back and forth with palms into finger shapes, 3 to 4 inches long. Pinch dough in two places to form knuckles. Score each knuckle lightly with the back of a small knife. Transfer fingers to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
    6)When all fingers are formed, brush lightly with egg white. Position almond nails; push into dough to attach.
    7)Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
    8)note: To make the knuckles more creepy just shape them big and uneven. To keep them from puffing out too much roll the fingers extra skinny (skinnier than you want them to look if that makes sense). I also try to get them out of the oven before they brown. I sometimes add a bit of almond extract to dough.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Severe ... ies-135850

ETA: picture and link. :)
Last edited by jusbcuzz on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 406

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Cooking Bones Style

Post by ThyneAlone »

Jus this is brilliant! Great idea for a thread!
I'm throwing out an appeal to anyone who has creepy 'body parts', good Thai, grilled cheese or superb mac'n'cheese recipes, ooh and what was that six organ (was it 6? I forget the number) soup that gave Hodgins indigestion? Doughnuts could figure largely too. And some of that upmarket stuff that Gordon Gordon cooks. So much scope for the imagination! :clap: :D
word count: 72
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

So instead of doing homework, I've found another. Hodgins would love this.

WORMS!!

Ingredients
  • 1 (6 ounce) package raspberry gelatin powder or grape flavor gelatin
    3 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
    3 cups boiling water
    100 flexible plastic straws
    1 tall slender 4 cup container (same height as extended straws)
    3/4 cup whipping cream
    12-15 drops green food coloring
Directions
  • 1)In a bowl, combine gelatins.
    2)Add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve. Chill until lukewarm, about 20 minutes.
    3)Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in tall container.
    4)Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Pour into container, filling straws.
    5)Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
    6)Pull straws from container (if using a carton, tear carton away from straws). Pull straws apart; run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers; lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
    7)Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
    8)Worms will hold at room temperature up to 2 hours.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Halloween-Worms-3092
word count: 225

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

*Gross* :puke-huge:

Sorry.. eventhough it's candy it looks too real.. :lol:
word count: 12

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

It does. I love it! I don't know if I could eat them at a party or anything like that, but they'd be fun to make. But I taste everything I make so....hmmm.
word count: 36

boo
Fan

Post by boo »

Awesome idea, jusbcuzz. I'll have to remember these for Halloween. And TA, I'm pretty sure it was 7 organ soup. :lol:
word count: 22
I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull.

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

Are you all getting in early for halloween? Fill up a latex glove with water and tie the end and put it into the freezer. Remove glove and ice hand to put into the punch. But then I'm sure you guys would have done that one before.
:)
word count: 48

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Hahaha. Nice. I want to do that to my mom tomorrow.
word count: 11
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

ohhh, got an idea for the ice gloves. fill up the gloves with either the same kind of punch or a different kind of punch as not to water down the punch in the bowl. Using a different kind of juice would be cool to contrast colors. Or you could use food coloring to turn the punch a nasty color without altering the taste of the juice too much.
word count: 69

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

If you still want them clear, they do make "mystery" flavor kool-aid.
It's white, but has a flavor.
(:
word count: 20
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Hi, so this may not fit exactly with the theme, but I wanted to share a recipe. It's my favorite to kill a sugar/chocolate craving when I have nothing left in the house.

Fudgy Buttons

4 tablespoons margarine OR butter
3 teaspoons baking cocoa
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon milk
4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

In a small pan melt the butter. Remove from heat and whisk in the baking cocoa until dissolved. Stir in the sugar. Add the milk and still until smooth. (It will be thick like a cookie dough and you can add another 1/2 teaspoon to make it more manageable) Stir in the peanut butter.

Drop by teaspoonfuls and flatten tops, making a button shape. Chill in fridge for a bit.

This will not set very hard like regular fudge and honestly I usually just eat it warm straight from the pan, :P so it's really up to you. It's pretty flexible and easily doubled. I don't even measure it any more when I make it. You can do a little less sugar, more peanut butter, stir in a few chocolate chips, etc.

Enjoy :mrgreen:
word count: 194
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

That could fit the theme Ang. Might be a little twisted, lol, but it would work. You could even add some coconut or some other texture and shape it to your liking. Now that would be cooking Bones style. Or at least something Hodgins would love to poke around in. ;) That does sound yummy for my gluten free friends.
word count: 59

Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Post by Dr.Valentine »

:shock:
Those worms look a little too real haha.. :shifty:
word count: 8
"Work hard, and love the work and the 'work' becomes nothing other than the love." - TJ Thyne

thayanne
Fan

Post by thayanne »

LOL Awesome !!! but I wouldn't eat , hahah look to real for me... :shock:
word count: 13
"The biggest regret of my life is I didn't stop you "

SirRose
Fan

Post by SirRose »

To quote Cam from the show: "It is so easy to diet around here."

Bookmarking this thread for future Halloween's though. Could be a gateway to family traditions, who knows? :mrgreen:
word count: 31

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

So I found a few more. This one's easy as ummm, Ice cream?
Eye-Scream Treats
Yield: 4 pairs of "eyeballs"

1 quart vanilla ice cream
Strawberry syrup (such as Hershey's)
8 M&M's (blue, green, or brown)
Black decorating gel

1. Scoop ice cream into balls and set on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet. Freeze until ready to serve (at least 20 minutes).

2. Place two ice cream balls on each serving plate, an inch apart.

3. Drizzle syrup onto each ball to create a bloodshot effect. Put an M&M (logo facing down) at the center of each and top with a drop of black decorating gel to form a pupil.

http://www.parenting.com/activity-parti ... eam-Sweets
Last edited by jusbcuzz on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 124

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

Here's a kid friendly one.

Choco-Caramel Critters

Yield: 12 bugs
• 24 caramel candies, such as Brach's Milk Maid Caramels
• Red licorice laces, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 3/4 cup milk- or semi-sweet chocolate chips
• For decorating: sliced almonds, red hots, colored candies, sprinkles

Safety note: Always supervise children under 4 with small candies, raisins, and other choking hazards.

1. Flatten each caramel into a circle between 2 sheets of waxed paper.

2. lace 3 pieces of licorice on each side of 12 of the caramel circles for legs. Top with remaining caramel circles and press closed.

3. Melt chocolate in a small bowl in microwave for 60 seconds, stirring halfway through, until smooth.

4. With a butter knife, spread the top of each bug with chocolate to cover.

5. Decorate with sliced almonds for wings and red hots for eyes, or let kids use any Halloween candy you have on hand.

http://www.parenting.com/gear-article/R ... l-Critters
word count: 166

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Oh, they look so sweet! Bet they taste sweet, too! :)
word count: 10
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.