Chat Suggestions?

General TJ stuff
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Chat Suggestions?

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi gang, so we just had our third chat thread with TJ and as Sharon, TJ and I are always working a LOT behind the scenes to make it even better, I thought I'd open up a discussion forum. What do you think of the chats so far? How could we improve them?

I know we have some radically different views on this so respect each others' opinions please! Thanks so much for your feedback...
word count: 76
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Chat Suggestions?

Post by skftex »

I just want to say, I appreciate everyone trying to find chat options and sending me links. I know you all are just trying to help but it isn't just a matter of having a live chat option. There are considerations we have that you all don't see. Things TJ wants, things we need as far as keeping it within the realm of the site itself. There are HUNDREDS of chat options out there, and as I told TJ yesterday, I'm working on it, but it isn't as easy as just picking one, its a matter of finding one that meets ALL the criteria we have for it. And I have found an option, it isn't exactly what TJ would like, but its a step in the right direction, it just has to be implemented and it needed TJ to sign off on it. And he has. And TJ knows I have been working on it, and a lot of the suggestions have already been ruled out, though none of you would have known that. So thank you for the suggestions, I do appreciate the time and effort you all put in to it but I promise you that there are things coming, it just takes time.

Sharon
word count: 213
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Evil Imp
Fan

Post by Evil Imp »

hey, hi!

thanks for everything! I know it's really not easy to do what you do and i'm pretty sure it's very harder than that we can imagine!
you rock!!!

I already told to Steph what I thought about yesterday ... I've no suggestion.

I just really don't know how having a conversation with someone without asking questions

you said we have to take advantage of his visit, take care about him etc .... but by example, someone asks TJ something, he answers ... we can't really take up once more what he says except for saying something like "I love that too" or "I'd choose ..." (personal things!) cause, during we're doing that, we aren't taking advantage of his visit we are talking about ourself! and if we want to take advantage of him, we ask something about what he just says, but ... it's not our turn
(that doesn't look very english, lol, sorry)

in this way, we are closer in interview than chat ... 1 question, 1 answer ... not a really interactive thing
for that, do we need to hold up him a specific hour a specific day?! (he's a busy guy) it's a little bit as the skeleton, isn't it?!

maybe we have to think about what we want (included TJ) have an interactive conversation, have answers to some questions or?

and I know if it's just a conversation without real turn, it's the louder law who'll apply

I know, I don't help ... sorry!

but, whatever you'll do, i'm sure it'd be your best and i'm fine with that

hey, don't forget it's not my language, i can't use the same subtleties as english guy or as in french, so, maybe it sounds hard what i've said ... (I can't nuance well) if it's the case, i'm sorry and it wasn't what i would, i promise!
word count: 333

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Maylis, knowing how worried you are about expressing yourself in English, I am impressed and delighted with your excellent thoughts here.

I know others share your view that it can't be a proper 'chat' worthy of the name if it's just a Skeleton-type Q&A, but on the other hand, as you say, unstructured chat tends to be taken over by the more dominant and confident posters, so fewer people get a chance to speak.

I also agree that we need to think about what we & TJ really want out of a chat and look at the possibilities open to us. Like Sharon says - investigations are ongoing. Thank you for your valued feedback.
word count: 116
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I know this is all very frustrating for you guys. I remember in the first chat, TJ was pretty much just answering questions while (unbeknownst to him) we chatted it up on the cbox, & he felt left out. So, we tried to move the chat to the thread, but that clogs up the posts which makes EVERYONE frustrated. So, we try to limit the chatter, which seems to make TJ feel all alone again. I honestly don't know how to arrange this so we have both a fun interactive chat AND an orderly Q&A that doesn't lag everything up.

My thought would be to try to do something like the first chat. Q&A on the thread & party in the cbox, except that this time TJ would KNOW that we were there & he could party with us. That would prevent the thread from lagging so much because it would limit the posts to just questions, TJ's answers, pertinent responses, & indications of who is next to ask. It would also allow us to have a spontaneous, interactive party on the "porch" with inane chatter about food & porch swings. :D I know the cbox can scroll by pretty fast, & that could be a hindrance (it's sometimes hard to keep up with the convo there on a regular day), but limiting the participants to tjthyne.com regulars again would help... and maybe it would be somehow possible to increase the size of the cbox during the chat?

Anywho... you've got a much better idea of what's possible & how things work on here than I do, so whatever you work out I'll cheerfully go along with. Thanks again, Sharon & Steph, for all you do around here.
word count: 289
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

Kayley121
Fan

Post by Kayley121 »

on here - http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=254851 the last post says... Hey guys,

Getlivechat guys are launching Skype Integrated Live-Chat & Live-Call services this month for websites and are looking for beta customers at the moment.

these guys are new in block support skype, gtalk with browser push technology and Built-in Browser Phone.

I got this for my website a month ago and its going really good. Its really fast and I love the exclusive features these guys have to offer.

and the website that's launching in a little over a day is - http://www.getlivechat.com/comingsoon/index.html

Just cost is unknown since it hasn't started yet..
word count: 116

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Just so you know, cost does make a difference but it doesn't rule something out right away, depends on how much it costs. But things that do matter:

HAS to be phpBB compatible, pass a security test, and use the phpBB database. So it can't be an outside software that can be accessed without coming to the message boards.

It cannot have ads.

It cannot require anyone to be a member of any other service other than this website. So nothing that requires Twitter, or Facebook or Skype, or msn messenger for that matter.

It cannot have any requirements where the users have to install something on their computers.

It cannot require anyone have specific equipment-including webcams or microphones. It has to work with both Apple and PC products.

It cannot have any costs associated with you all, the users.

There is more but you get the idea. LOL
word count: 152
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

kimizcute

Post by kimizcute »

How about instead of getting a different type of chat box,,, how about just have one hour of questions on forum and one hour of fun play on cbox.
word count: 29

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

My only suggestion would be (and it may sound mean) is that when Sharon or Steph asks to stop doing something, don't reply with "I'm sorry," etc. Just... stop. It clutters the thread. We're all friends here, no hard feelings right? :romance-grouphug:

Awesome, I'm now a conspiracy theorist! :shifty:
word count: 51
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

Kayley121
Fan

Post by Kayley121 »

From what I gathered about the skype related one, it doesnt require you to be a member or join, you just (i think) type in your nick name.

I guess you'll find out when it launches..

and I like that idea kim, about fun chat for an hour and message board question time for an hour.
word count: 57

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

if you have to type in a nickname then it isn't able to be integrated with the phpBB database. LOL I will check out the specs but that is not a good sign.
word count: 34

Kayley121
Fan

Post by Kayley121 »

I'm not positiveeee. I guess we'll find out.
word count: 10

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

I know that the criminal minds fanatic forum uses parachat when special guest chats are organised. It can be imbedded.

I havent been present for any of their chats but they have them pretty often and are very strict about access to the chat. (theirs is set up with special passwords for the day that you can only get if your already a member .. and request one via email).

It is supposed to work with a phpBB databases.

Llama
word count: 79

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Embedded and integrated are not the same thing. You are talking about putting a chat thing in that is just embedded into a board, even if it is outside software. When I say integrated, it means that it uses the user database, so nothing has to be set up for people to access the chat as long as they are a member of this message board and logged in. You click on a link it comes up and you do NOT need to put in a password or username unless you are not already logged into the board, and if it does ask you to login, it uses your already established username on this board, and the same password. If I have to set up passwords for anything, it is not integrated with the database. :)
word count: 135