Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Akarana
Super Fan

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Akarana »

Really beautiful pictures!

My week started really sad. I had to put down my favorite guineapig Saman. I think I mentioned him to one or the other person here already.
He suffered a stroke on Monday and so I had to put him down on Tuesday. Really hard thing to do, but I didn't want him to suffer. He had a long and happy life, nothing bad ever happened to him and so I wanted for him to go peacefully. Still, I miss him like crazy, my begging and squeaking little friend.
At first I wanted to give away the remaining piggy Naji, but now I just can't do it. She went through so much already and she isn't really healthy so I don't want to give her ton strangers. I am currently trying to find a new friend for her but it's really hard. At the animal shelters there are no candidates, one doesn't reply so I will have to go there and check on Saturday. I nearly took a guinea pig from a private owner but I saw the pet and knew it wasn't healthy. My vet confirmed it and so I gave it back and told her to treat the poor thing. I'm just not willing to take in another sick animal. I've had Sam, who got sick a year after he was born, so that was different. But still it cost me a lot of money, tears and sleepless nights to make sure he survived up to 5,5 years of age. Naji has a chronic infection of the respiratory tract and I am not willing to take another one who I know will cause me a lot of worries. (Sure if you have the pet and it gets sick that's different).

Anyway, with Sam I lost the last of the two piggies I took in as 4 week old babies and who behaved like dogs. These two really trusted me blindly.
Here's a video if anyone is interested. I took it before I left them in the care of my parents before I left for Morocco. It still makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJpFSWdD2E
So wish me luck that I will find a new friend for Naji really soon.
word count: 389
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Jessi, I'm sorry for your loss.

I know as a former guineapig owner how bonded you can get to those small guys
quite easily. I also loved it when they begged for food, that cute sound
they can make - especially when they hear the sound of the fidge getting opened :D

Saw the video.. It was very clear how much they trusted you.. so adorable. I hope that Naji will give you a lot of joy in the time that she has left, hopefully for a very long time.
word count: 89

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

Akana - I am so sorry to hear you lost a pet. I've only ever owned one guinea pig and I did not really get emotionally attached to it; however, I have lost fish, cats and dogs that were the world to me so I completely understand and sympathize.

:(
word count: 49
Jenny
"God is a little formal. Hodgins will do." - Dr. Jack Hodgins

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Cute video Jessi.
I'm really sorry for your loss, I know how you feel, I lost my cat of 15 years this past month, we had to put her down too.

I really hope you find a friend for Naji, too.
We're here for you :D
word count: 47
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Love the vid Jessi! So sorry about the little piggy. They are so cute and affectionate. Not to mention intelligent. Thinking of you.

Kind people in the chatbox are asking about the fall I had on Wednesday, so just to reassure; nothing serious or broken, just bruised body and dignity! My regular lift had just dropped me off outside my gate; I turned from the road to approach my driveway and somehow slipped, tumbling full onto my left side and hitting my head quite badly (could have been worse; we had put out the dustbin for the following morning's collection, otherwise I'd have gone straight into the wall, which is slightly less forgiving than the bin!). My left leg and arm are painful, with all kinds of scrapes and large bruises, and my neck is very stiff and uncomfortable. I have a residual headache too. I have absolutely no idea how it happened, I don't remember tripping over anything. However, I am taking it easy, never fear!

Hanne I see you're going out this afternoon - have a great time, won't you? :)
word count: 186
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Violaine
Fan

Post by Violaine »

ThyneAlone wrote:Hi Callie!
What's a 19 credit quarter, forgive what I suspect is other-side-of-the-pond ignorance?
Oh, no worries. :) I'm attending junior college (first two years, also called a community college), and instead of 2 semesters in the school year, there are 3 quarters (4 if you count summer quarter). 19 credits is the number of credit hours I'm taking. 12 is considered "full time", so 19 is a very heavy course load. Most of my work is online, though, save for my majors' science classes, so it's not too terrible. It keeps me busy, though, that's for sure!
word count: 108

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

ah, thanks, I see. I'm a bit out of touch even with UK college and uni Habits, since now it's my son who is working towards his degree! The semester/quarter thing has always puzzled me, since what we have is like school; 3 trimesters and then summer holidays for 7 or 8 weeks. Woo that sounds like hard grind, good luck with that!
word count: 66

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Akarana, so sorry to hear that!
word count: 6

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Oh dear, that sounds terrible!
I do hope you feel better soon... Nothing like falling!
I'm a perpetual klutz. I fall all the time, so I can sympathize with with bruised ego.
Take it easy dear.

-hugs-
word count: 38

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Thanks so much. I am feeling distinctly better now though still a bit headachy!
word count: 14

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Hi guys,

As promised a pic of my new hairdo.. this is the last time you'll see me like this.. some of you know what I mean :D

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv26 ... 8600_o.jpg

I'll also post it on twitter.. give me a shoutout if you need anything to access the pics.
word count: 56

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hanne! Looking good! I can see all the work you've been doing is paying off and the haircut is nice. :) :D
word count: 21
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

Hello everyone!

Yes, I'm still alive... sorry for being under the radar for so long...

I've kept coming here to check the posts, but there isn't much to say about myself, so I'm a quiet observer... I'll try to be more talkative in the future, I promise!

Take care !!!
word count: 54

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Hey Hanne!!! Waaah!!! Congratulations!!! Way to go!!! It's a hard work but it pays!!!! :dance:
Thanks a lot for sharing :-)
And love the new haircut too :wink:

Ufff... Back to work... Ok, let's chat later ;-)
I'll be online around 9 pm I think :-)

Véro
word count: 46
The waffle conspiracy...

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Love the hair, Hanne! c:

Hope to see you around more Kat! :mrgreen:
word count: 12

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hanne I honestly wonder sometimes about your apparent low self-esteem - I'm not kidding or patronising, you look great! Your efforts are really paying off, I wish I had your willpower.

Kat - much-missed, glad you are still around. Never think we won't be interested in what you're doing, be it ever so ordinary and mundane.
word count: 59

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

Good morning from Tennessee everyone! So much excitement here right now - my son not only is rocking the straight A's this semester, he also got a 26 on his ACTs (for those of you outside the US that is his testing to get into college...19-21 is the average score) AND last night was opening night for his high school play, Stuart Little. He played a cat and one of the narrators/extras. It was his first time performing on stage and I am EXCEPTIONALLY proud!!

After we got home from the play we had some pretty bad storms come through and we have 60,000 people without power - between down power lines, power outages (including traffic signals), trees in the road and multiple accidents, it took me and hour and fifteen minutes to go eleven miles to work. Usually this is a twenty five minute drive!!!

As soon as the play wraps this week, we will turn our attention to my daughter who is practicing for a fundraiser performance with her baton twirling team and then State competition in three weeks. State competition will give us a good idea how we will rank at the National tournament in July.

Parenting question - my daughter is seven and we are very excited about the Royal wedding coming up next week. I will getting up at 4am to watch the wedding live. When I was ten, I set my own alarm and snuck into the family room and watched Prince Charles/Princess Diana wedding with the sound down so my parents wouldn't catch me. My daughter is not so sneaky - she asked me directly if she could get up at 4 am on a school day to watch the wedding. I am leaning towards letting her do this - just make her go to bed early the night before. Would this be an example of bad parenting??

I know those of you who are students have your finals coming in the up in the next several weeks so good luck to all of you!!!
word count: 344
Jenny

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Does she have anything important going on in school that day? Tests? That'd be the only reason why I wouldn't let her. I don't have kids though so maybe I'd be a bad parent! But you know, my mother always thought things like that were learning experiences too, and since it isn't something you see everyday, what does it hurt?

Sharon
word count: 66
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

:text-yeahthat:
As a parent I'd say as long as the rules are firmly established then the odd exception can even do good. It shows that for special occasions flexibility is allowed and that you're happy to share things with her. A child that age will be pretty resilient, if she is going to collapse with exhaustion it won't be till the weekend!
word count: 64

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

Thanks, Ladies! :D :D :D

She has nothing else planned on Friday night so I figure when we get home for the evening she can just have an early night. She will have a very long day with twirling workshops and performances on Saturday so going to bed early on Friday night was pretty much in the cards anyway. I had pretty much made up my mind but was just doubting my own decision!!
word count: 71
Jenny