Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Akarana
Super Fan

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Akarana »

Hi Steph!

No,I don't mind at all, I think my post shows that I knew it was OT but I just had to ask ^^

Well, beside English I learned French and Spanish at school and knew that I wanted to study something with languages. Then I heard Arabic and so I decided to study that. During my studies I had to learn High Standart Arabic, Egyptian Arabic and Swahili (because our university has an Africa focuss). Well and then during the time abroad I learned the Moroccan Arabic as well, which is basically so different that it's even more like an own language than the other dialects (Whole Arabic world has this Diglossia situation. While Yemen and Syria are pretty close to the standart with their dialect, as well as Iraq, the whole Maghreb has dialects so different that people from other Arabic countries can't understand them. It's even more extreme than German and the Swiss Dialect.
At the moment I am writing my Magister's thesis about Arabic literature, so I am nearly done.

And if you're a German teacher that means that "rein theorethisch könnten wir uns auf deutsch unterhalten- was natürlich furchtbar unhöflich wäre" ;)

Jessi
word count: 208
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

Lonia
Super Fan

Post by Lonia »

Simone, how was your first day at work this week? I totally understand when you say that you don't have time. Every evening I also wonder where my day went and that I should and could do so much more...! :o It doesn't matter that I didn't get a more detailed report, when I want to know something special I'll ask :D
word count: 64

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Akarana wrote:"rein theorethisch könnten wir uns auf deutsch unterhalten- was natürlich furchtbar unhöflich wäre"
Hab' ich schon mehrmals mit anderen deutschen Mitgliederinnen versucht, damit sie sich zu Hause fühlten; mir ist's auch aber etwas unangenehm, wenn nur einige mich gut verstehen.

It is lovely to know you, Jessi, and what an amazing profusion of knowledge you have.. you have had such an interesting life.. I would really like to learn some of those languages, and might have done if I had continued in higher education after the age of 22; now I have almost no time to pick up anything new!
word count: 108
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Simone, I add my good wishes to Martina's; I hope your week has started, and continues, well!
word count: 18

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

@Steph: Ich glaube man fühlt sich auch so hier sehr wohl. Ich muss sagen ich bin selten in einem Forum so freundlich aufgenommen worden, auch wenn man nicht viel postet oder viel "tut".

And I guess my life sounds more exciting to other than it is to me. Always when I meet new people they ask me a lot of questions and either they get really excited or the ask me if I lost my mind studying what I study.
Even in my own (extended) family most read my blogs or my emails like adventure books because they never made it out of Europe. For me it's just... normal I guess. I learned that you can find home anywhere as long as you have friends around you and that you can find friends from anywhere no matter what religion you have or language you speak, That sounds so "worldpeace" like but I guess that everyone who travels a lot and does not only stay in hotels and with other tourists will say the same.
However no matter if I am in Cairo, Rabat, Casablanca, Tunis or just Berlin for me it's always the same: I miss my piggies (my spoiled guinea pigs) Saman and Jalila, I go looking for the nearest book store, I will find music that will remind me forever of that trip and most likely I will buy clothes and wear them so that I fit in. ^^
And when I get back I am a 25 year old student hwo lives with her parents during semester breaks, writes whenever she can, spoils her pets rotten and loves to listen to live music and drink Pina Colada :wink:
word count: 282

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Thanks Martina and Steph for your kind words. Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought till now (*knock on wood*) but still very stressful. My colleague also takes care of our trainees during the mornings (we have two at the moment) and that we also have to do now during her vacation. And they ask a lot! Well, in a way that's good, but if you need to finish something it's a little stressful. Most of the time they ask about things I need to look into, because I am not 100% familiar with my colleague's work, so it's time-consuming. But, well, if they do it wrong you need to correct everything, so, better they ask. Well, I think next week will be even more work and I have to be prepared to work longer hours. At the beginning of September I have some free days and really looking forward to it!
Martina, will you go to next year's convention?

Well, nothing more to report. It's late and I need to go to bed!

Take care!
Simone.
word count: 186
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Oh, forgot to say "Hi" to Jessi! So, hi Jessi! :) What do you want to do when you're finished your studies?
Simone.
word count: 23

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

TJ4ever wrote:Oh, forgot to say "Hi" to Jessi! So, hi Jessi! :) What do you want to do when you're finished your studies?
Simone.
Oh if only I knew. I have no idea. I'll probably go and work abroad somewhere. I'd be interested to do something with cultural cooperations or something like that. Help immigrants, help people understanding the culture and religion of the others. But I guess I'll take what I can get at first. I'm open to working anywhere in Europe, the Arab countries, USA, Canada o Australia. I guess it should be possible to find a job for me somewhere there ;)

And to add something even more random: I finally had work to do at the office today. Unbelieveable but true. I took this job at an office for my semester break, something I have done several times already. This time however they put me into an office with a guy who refused to talk to me because he wanted his office to himself. And I had nothing to do. It was so boring and that guy was making me angry.
Then today I was allowed to move into another office and there they gave me something to do. I've never been that glad to have work :lol:
word count: 216

brooke34
Fan

Post by brooke34 »

Oh, people, how I have missed you all!

I haven't been on the boards in about 4 days, which I think is a record since I first joined about a month or so ago, but I am so exhausted. I've started training for a new job at a natural gas company and not only do I have to get used to being on a regular schedule again after being unemployed for way too long, but I apparently have to learn all of this company's terminology, procedures, regulations, state tariffs, etc. from the ground up. I am so happy to have found the work, and they seem to be a great company, but I've had so much information stuffed into my skull in the last week, I feel like my brains are dripping out of my ears! GAH. Hopefully once I get a bit more used to the pace and schedule, I'll be able to relax a bit and things will get back to normal. Or I'll lapse into a coma. Either way the situation will resolve itself. :lol:

Anyway, I so hope to be able to talk to y'all a bit more regularly soon. I've been going through board withdrawal. Not to mention, having to be on my best behavior and not being a loudmouth opinionated smartass has been taking its toll. :lol:

Hillarie
word count: 230

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, as you will know, Hillarie, we welcome everyone here! Hope being able to come and visit again takes the stress off! But I am so pleased you have this work and I am sure it won't take you long to get on top of it all. We're all rooting for you here. :) <<hug>>
word count: 56

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hi guys!

As you can see, I survived the first week. :happy-partydance: So, fingers crossed for next week! :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :wink: :)
But right now I'm looking forward to go to the movies with a friend this sunday afternoon. Maybe dinner afterwards, too. Guess we'll gonna have a lot of fun. We want to watch "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". Tell you about it when I'm back!

But first I need to sleep a bit! It's 3am here in Germany!

Goodnight!

Simone.
word count: 81

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*hugs Simone* Congratulations on surviving your first week! I hope it continues to get better and better. (And let us know how you like the movie.) :D

*tackles Hillarie* Welcome back, busy one! Very glad to hear that all the information being pumped into your brain didn't cause it to ooze out of your ears. :mrgreen: P.S. Your opinions are always welcome here. I love it! :dance:
word count: 66

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

To paraphrase from our very own Angela Montenegro from Bones, I bring you tidings of joy, ladies [and gentlemen], tidings of joy.

I have just received notice that I have completely paid off my student loans! :text-woo:

:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: Now, in the words of Ben Browder, can I get a HELL YEAH? :music-rockon:

What this means to me... how long this has taken me... how good it feels... I can hardly put into words.

I may have cried a little.

This was a huge thing that seemed to take forever, amidst a lot of strife and stress and mistakes and hard work, and just like that, with a four-sentence letter from my student loan company, it's done.

It's DONE. Holy crap.

:happy-jumpeveryone:

:happy-wavemulticolor:

Thank you for listening. That is all.

Sherry
aka Sinkwriter 72 :mrgreen:
word count: 131
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

:dance: :banana-dance: :greetings-clappingyellow: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-bouncygreen: :happy-bouncymagenta: :happy-bouncymulticolor: :happy-bouncyred: :happy-bouncycyan: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncygreen:

That is fabulous news Sherry!
word count: 7
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thank you so much, Sharon!! :dance:
word count: 5

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well thank YOU for letting us know, Sherry!

That's amazing. Must feel like a massive load off your back. Well done!

Ce-le-brate good times, COME ON!

:happy-wavemulticolor: :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-woo: :greetings-clapyellow: :dance:
word count: 29

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

:music-rockon: *dancing around my living room like a mad woman* WHOO! :dance:

A huge relief, Steph. This has been a long time coming, and it took a lot for me to get there. More than I could ever express here online. It's too much. Just. so. huge.

Thank you so much for the cheer and support. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 55

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

That's really great, Sherry! So happy for you! *hugs*

:banana-dance: :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: :happy-partydance: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-sunshine: :handgestures-thumbsup:
word count: 12

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Congrats.
word count: 1
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Oh, about that movie we watched today "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". Well, I don't know, normally I really like action but this was a bit confusing. Maybe because I haven't seen the first part - which I heard from some people is better. It's a strange movie. Too many robots, a bit boring I think and way too long! Well, my friend wanted to watch it. Next week it's my turn. I want to watch "G.I. Joe". Don't know which day. Maybe Tuesday after work to get some distraction. Let's see how that one turns out!
Speaking of work, need to go to bed! It's late!
Take care!
Simone.
word count: 117